lens for panorama images

  • RobLee
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
      I'm a new to pano imaging. Currently I use Tokina 116 for pano images. Would greatly benefit, if I purchase 8mm Samyang lens for my D300? It's only $300, but nevertheless I want to be certain that my images would benefit.
      Thank you!

      RobLee

    • Hans
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > I'm a new to pano imaging. Currently I use Tokina 116 for pano images. Would greatly benefit, if I purchase 8mm Samyang lens for my D300? It's only $300, but nevertheless I want to be certain that my images would benefit.
        > Thank you!

        I assume that you take for example 6x2+zenith and nadir with your Tokina for a spherical.

        With the Samyang you can do it with 4-6 around +zenith and nadir.
        The resolution will be around 20% less.

        Hans
      • RobLee
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
          If resolution will be 20% lower than does it that image wont be as good?

          RobLee

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

            > If resolution will be 20% lower than does it that image wont be as good?

            Here is a link to a set of images from 360tacticalvr taken with the D300
            http://www.360tacticalvr.com/showcase/samyang/8mm/reception.zip

            To stitch them set lens to fullframe and 9mm.
            Full resolution will be 9800x4900 which is more than you need for very high fullscreen quality.

            The set uses to much images , I would take 6 around at -10 degrees + zenith.
            4 around can do it but you will only get 15% overlap.

            Hans
          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
              On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 08:52:47 +0900, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

              > If resolution will be 20% lower than does it that image wont be as good?

              The only difference will be when people zoom in, and then only if you allow
              them to zoom in further than is really advisable anyway.

              I doubt if you could tell the difference on any normal full-screen display.

              Roger W.

              --
              Business: www.adex-japan.com
              Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
                Thank you!
                Which lens was used?

                RobLee

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
                  Hi Rob and welcome.

                  If you read the link:
                  http://www.360tacticalvr.com/showcase/samyang/8mm/reception.zip you can see
                  it that it contains "Samyang" and "8mm" .... so it seems logical that
                  Samyang 8mm is the lens being used for those images :)

                  Trausti

                  On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you!
                  > Which lens was used?
                  >

                  > RobLee

                • AYRTON
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
                    On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                    trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Rob and welcome.
                    > If you read the link:
                    > http://www.360tacticalvr.com/showcase/samyang/8mm/reception.zip you can
                    > see
                    > it that it contains "Samyang" and "8mm" .... so it seems logical that
                    > Samyang 8mm is the lens being used for those images :)
                    > Trausti

                    trausti,
                    I would dare to say that people are lazy to read, to search, to try to find
                    or learn by themself
                    Normally they prefer to receive everything just ready to eat.
                    It drives me nuts :-)

                    > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Thank you!
                    > > Which lens was used?
                    > >

                    > > RobLee

                    ------------
                    | A Y R |
                    | T O N |
                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
                      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                      > Normally they prefer to receive everything just ready to eat.
                      > It drives me nuts :-)

                      :) You make it sound as if you like nuts :)

                      .... and let me go a little more off topic here by congratulating you on the
                      wedding series. Very impressive work! It really puts a new dimension into
                      the term "wedding photographer"....

                      Trausti

                    • AYRTON
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
                        On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                        trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

                        > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:
                        > > Normally they prefer to receive everything just ready to eat.
                        > > It drives me nuts :-)
                        >
                        > :) You make it sound as if you like nuts :)

                        :-) yeah

                        > .... and let me go a little more off topic here by congratulating you on
                        > the
                        > wedding series. Very impressive work! It really puts a new dimension into
                        > the term "wedding photographer"....

                        Thank you very much :-)
                        having the time ... stop by my site and leave a comment there for me
                        I'll be very happy if you do so :-)

                        best
                        AYRTON

                        PS: I'm thinking to go to Peru for a week or so.
                        Where are you exactly ? I tought about Cuszco

                        > Trausti

                        ------------
                        | A Y R |
                        | T O N |
                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 30, 2009
                          I am in Lima (the capital). If/when you come to Peru, you will be "forced"
                          to go to Lima (unless you come driving/walking/by ship) ... due to the
                          capitalist interest groups (tourism mafia)... the only "international"
                          airport in Peru is in Lima, so that's the hub you have to go through. Let
                          me know beforehand when you will be here, and I will gladly meet you at the
                          airport. Should you be able to spend a day or more in Lima, I would equally
                          be happy to pester you with my rants and ramblings, and listen to yours,
                          over a few dishes of good food and golden liquids.

                          The only instance of me not being able to meet with you, would be due to my
                          wife giving birth (scheduled for mid to late January).

                          Anyone else coming over here, is equally welcome to contact me for
                          guidance. I have friends in the tourism industry, who can be helpful for
                          travel tips... should my tips not be good enough :)

                          Trausti

                          On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 11:11 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                          > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Trausti Hraunfjord <
                          >
                          > trausti.hraunfjord@... <trausti.hraunfjord%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                          >
                          > > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:59 PM, AYRTON <avi@...<avi%40ayrton.com>>
                          > wrote:
                          > > > Normally they prefer to receive everything just ready to eat.
                          > > > It drives me nuts :-)
                          > >
                          > > :) You make it sound as if you like nuts :)
                          > >

                          > :-) yeah
                          >

                          > > .... and let me go a little more off topic here by congratulating you on
                          > > the
                          > > wedding series. Very impressive work! It really puts a new dimension into
                          > > the term "wedding photographer"....
                          > >

                          > Thank you very much :-)
                          > having the time ... stop by my site and leave a comment there for me
                          > I'll be very happy if you do so :-)
                          >
                          > best
                          > AYRTON
                          >
                          > PS: I'm thinking to go to Peru for a week or so.
                          > Where are you exactly ? I tought about Cuszco
                          >

                          > > Trausti

                          > > --

                        • Eduardo Hutter
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                            That way you can cover the panohead arm that holds the camera: put them
                            together in one same file > two layers > top layer in difference mode >
                            rotate and nudge upper layer carefully matching details on the region
                            you are going to cover/mask > create a mask > paint it with a brush to
                            hide the arm. Now you have a nadir shot without the arm, just the tripod
                            and part of the head below. The same goes for the remnant tripod if you
                            shot a nadir w/o the tripod. In this case you'll would probably use
                            transform/distort/warp/skew quite a bit to match things.

                            I'm sure that at the wiki we have a tutorial about it, the address is
                            down below PTNG messages. Hans also has a couple of tutorials about it.

                            * RobLee wrote, On 01/12/2009 10:34 AM:

                            > I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP. Getting old here, so wanted
                            > to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed direction? Thank you!
                            >
                            > RobLee
                          • RobLee
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                              I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP. Getting old here, so wanted to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed direction?
                              Thank you!

                              RobLee

                              it that it contains "Samyang" and "8mm" .... so it seems logical that
                              Samyang 8mm is the lens being used for those images :)

                              Trausti

                              On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 10:40 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                              > Thank you!
                              > Which lens was used?
                              >

                              > RobLee

                              ------------------------------------

                            • RobLee
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                Is Samyang 8mm lens a good lens or should I buy Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma at 3x the price?
                                I'm still learning from all in this group, so I need as much help as I can get. I want you to know that I appreciate it a lot. I maybe a little slow for some of you, but I'm not "a spring chicken" anymore.
                                Thank you!

                                RobLee

                                That way you can cover the panohead arm that holds the camera: put them

                                together in one same file > two layers > top layer in difference mode >

                                rotate and nudge upper layer carefully matching details on the region

                                you are going to cover/mask > create a mask > paint it with a brush to

                                hide the arm. Now you have a nadir shot without the arm, just the tripod

                                and part of the head below. The same goes for the remnant tripod if you

                                shot a nadir w/o the tripod. In this case you'll would probably use

                                transform/distort/ warp/skew quite a bit to match things.

                                I'm sure that at the wiki we have a tutorial about it, the address is

                                down below PTNG messages. Hans also has a couple of tutorials about it.

                                * RobLee wrote, On 01/12/2009 10:34 AM:

                                > I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP. Getting old here, so wanted

                                > to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed direction? Thank you!

                                > RobLee

                              • AYRTON
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                  It seems to be a very good lens
                                  Mitchel Toby did some great tests with it

                                  Search on the list archives for old msgs about this lens
                                  You'll find a lot of infos

                                  I'm thinking to buy one too :-)

                                  best
                                  AYRTON

                                  On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                                  > Is Samyang 8mm lens a good lens or should I buy Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma at 3x
                                  > the price?
                                  > I'm still learning from all in this group, so I need as much help as I can
                                  > get. I want you to know that I appreciate it a lot. I maybe a little slow
                                  > for some of you, but I'm not "a spring chicken" anymore.
                                  > Thank you!
                                  >
                                  > RobLee

                                  ------------
                                  | A Y R |
                                  | T O N |
                                • Paulo Fernandes
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                    I have one and I absolutely love it ;) for it's price its a great lens. a
                                    bit problematic with direct sunlight (flare) but quite sharp.
                                    Read Michel Toby tests, great info....
                                    http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html
                                    Or this review:
                                    http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=160

                                    Here's a panorama I made when I bought it:
                                    http://go360.gogopixel.pt/samyang/

                                    Com os melhores cumprimentos,

                                    Paulo Fernandes
                                    Multimedia

                                    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                                    Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multim�dia
                                    Cal�ada do Lidador, 22, 1�Andar
                                    4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
                                    Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
                                    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                                    On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM, AYRTON <avi@...> wrote:

                                    > It seems to be a very good lens
                                    > Mitchel Toby did some great tests with it
                                    >
                                    > Search on the list archives for old msgs about this lens
                                    > You'll find a lot of infos
                                    >
                                    > I'm thinking to buy one too :-)
                                    >
                                    > best
                                    > AYRTON
                                    >

                                    > On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM, RobLee <roblee007@...<roblee007%40yahoo.com>>
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Is Samyang 8mm lens a good lens or should I buy Nikkor 10.5 or Sigma at
                                    > 3x
                                    > > the price?
                                    > > I'm still learning from all in this group, so I need as much help as I
                                    > can
                                    > > get. I want you to know that I appreciate it a lot. I maybe a little slow
                                    > > for some of you, but I'm not "a spring chicken" anymore.
                                    > > Thank you!
                                    > >
                                    > > RobLee
                                    > >
                                    > > --- On Tue, 12/1/09, Eduardo Hutter <montreal360@...<montreal360%40gmail.com>>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > From: Eduardo Hutter <montreal360@... <montreal360%40gmail.com>>
                                    > > Subject: Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: lens for panorama images
                                    > > To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    > > Date: Tuesday, December 1, 2009, 8:54 AM

                                    > > That way you can cover the panohead arm that holds the camera: put
                                    > > them
                                    > >
                                    > > together in one same file > two layers > top layer in difference mode >
                                    > >
                                    > > rotate and nudge upper layer carefully matching details on the region
                                    > >
                                    > > you are going to cover/mask > create a mask > paint it with a brush to
                                    > >
                                    > > hide the arm. Now you have a nadir shot without the arm, just the tripod
                                    > >
                                    > > and part of the head below. The same goes for the remnant tripod if you
                                    > >
                                    > > shot a nadir w/o the tripod. In this case you'll would probably use
                                    > >
                                    > > transform/distort/ warp/skew quite a bit to match things.
                                    > >

                                    > > I'm sure that at the wiki we have a tutorial about it, the address is
                                    > >
                                    > > down below PTNG messages. Hans also has a couple of tutorials about it.

                                    > > * RobLee wrote, On 01/12/2009 10:34 AM:
                                    > >

                                    > > > I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP.
                                    > > Getting old here, so wanted
                                    > >
                                    > > > to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed
                                    > > direction? Thank you!
                                    > >

                                    > > > RobLee

                                    > > --

                                  • Hans
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                                      > I d'l zip and then deleted your message. Played with images in APP. Getting old here, so wanted to make sure. Can you tell me why nadir was shot twice in reversed direction?
                                      > Thank you!

                                      There is absolutely no need to take those images with the rotator in them.
                                      Try and stitch without them and you will see that you cover down to the tripod even with the 6 around not tilted down.

                                      With other fullframe fisheyes we take the 6 around at -10 or -15 so that we cover it all down to the rotator.
                                      The vertical field of the Samyang is 152 degrees so you do not need more than -5 t see the rotator at the bottom edge of the images.

                                      It also means that you can do it with 45 or even 4 images around.

                                      Hans

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                        RobLee wrote:

                                        > If resolution will be 20% lower than does it that image wont be as good?

                                        Which lens with which sensor size and pixel count will give which
                                        maximum resolution can be found on
                                        http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

                                        best regards
                                      • RobLee
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                          So, if I read all your messages correctly, you are saying that my pano images would benefit if I had Samyang 8mm lens vs Tokina 116?
                                          Just want to make sure before I commit $300.
                                          Thank you!

                                          RobLee

                                        • Hans
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 1, 2009
                                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                                            > So, if I read all your messages correctly, you are saying that my pano images would benefit if I had Samyang 8mm lens vs Tokina 116?
                                            > Just want to make sure before I commit $300.
                                            > Thank you!

                                            I would express it different.

                                            Your workflow would benefit a lot as you do not need to take as many images.

                                            Quality of the final panoramas in the size you need for fullscreen display will be practically the same.

                                            Hans
                                          • RobLee
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 2, 2009
                                              I just found this photos taken with Samyang 8mm lens.
                                              It looks to me like it is DX lens. Am I correct? Will I be able to produce good enough pano images for printing?
                                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/5y12u3k...7619250695100/
                                              Thank you!

                                              RobLee