the garbage dude

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
      I don't usually post panos here on this list

      but this one by Martin Bloomfield I found just incredible.
      http://www.360cities.net/image/refuse-collector-kota-batavia-jakarta-indonesia

      oh and yes there's some CA in it. I hope it doesn't prevent any obsessives
      out there from enjoying the image for what it is :)

      Jeffrey

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin
      www.360cities.net - The world's best panoramic photography
      www.panoverflow.com - How to make Panoramas
      facebook.com/360cities - Join us on Facebook
      twitter.com/360cities - Follow us on Twitter

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
        Great image! What really struck me was how neat and tidy the workspace was.
        Considering the line of work that he's in, it could have been garbage
        "littered" everywhere.

        Mark
        www.northernlight.net
        www.pinnacle-vr.com

      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
          Interesting but please make all those control things smaller. Or
          take them off the viewport completely.

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
            Hi Ken,

            Quite simple, actually. Click on the Hide Controls button and you get a nice
            clean screen.

            Mark
            www.northernlight.net
            www.pinnacle-vr.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
              Yeah, that's better. Lemme ax you guys a question.

              Why not put a control bar/dash board/menu bar (whatever you want to call
              it) underneath the viewport window? Make it small and unobtrusive then
              you don't have to turn it off to get it out of the way. Simpler code --
              simpler interface -- easier to see the pano.

              Mark D. Fink wrote:
              > Hi Ken,
              >
              > Quite simple, actually. Click on the Hide Controls button and you get a nice
              > clean screen.
              >
              > Mark
              > www.northernlight.net
              > www.pinnacle-vr.com

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                Quite simple, actually. Click on the Hide Controls button and you get a
                niceclean screen.

                > Mark
                > www.northernlight.net
                > www.pinnacle-vr.com

                True, with a little bug.

                If the controls have been hidden, then one goes to fullscreen view, the
                controls/thumbnails appear again, and the control button still states: "Show
                Controls".

                Best would be if it went to fullscreen without re-entering the
                thumbs/controls, but if that is the preferred way, the show/hide button
                should be updated to show "Hide Controls" rather than still displaying "Show
                Controls" (when everything is visible).

                Trausti

              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                  Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:

                  > I don't usually post panos here on this list
                  >
                  > but this one by Martin Bloomfield I found just incredible.
                  > http://www.360cities.net/image/refuse-collector-kota-batavia-jakarta-indonesia
                  >
                  > oh and yes there's some CA in it. I hope it doesn't prevent any obsessives
                  > out there from enjoying the image for what it is :)
                  It is good to see some photojournalist type stuff in 360, personally I have
                  always believed that is it's strength.
                  mick

                • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                    Quoting crane@...:

                    > Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:
                    >
                    > > I don't usually post panos here on this list
                    > >
                    > > but this one by Martin Bloomfield I found just incredible.
                    > >
                    > http://www.360cities.net/image/refuse-collector-kota-batavia-jakarta-indonesia
                    > >
                    > > oh and yes there's some CA in it. I hope it doesn't prevent any obsessives
                    > > out there from enjoying the image for what it is :)
                    > It is good to see some photojournalist type stuff in 360, personally I have
                    > always believed that is it's strength.
                    further to that , I appreciate it is tricky to be anonymous though, no hiding
                    the leica under your jacket, so it is a little bit different to capturing people
                    unawares, maybe someone could suggest apparatus for surreptitious 360
                    photography ? an umbrella would make a huge nadir problem.

                    mick

                  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                      Quoting crane@...:

                      > Quoting crane@...:
                      >
                      > > Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:
                      > >
                      > > > I don't usually post panos here on this list
                      > > >
                      > > > but this one by Martin Bloomfield I found just incredible.
                      > > >

                      > http://www.360cities.net/image/refuse-collector-kota-batavia-jakarta-indonesia
                      > > >
                      > > > oh and yes there's some CA in it. I hope it doesn't prevent any
                      > obsessives
                      > > > out there from enjoying the image for what it is :)
                      > > It is good to see some photojournalist type stuff in 360, personally I
                      > have
                      > > always believed that is it's strength.
                      > further to that , I appreciate it is tricky to be anonymous though, no
                      > hiding
                      > the leica under your jacket, so it is a little bit different to capturing
                      > people
                      > unawares, maybe someone could suggest apparatus for surreptitious 360
                      > photography ? an umbrella would make a huge nadir problem.
                      or maybe a bicycle crash helmet with camera attached camouflaged by a kermit the
                      frog puppet ??
                      what do people think ?

                      mick

                    • Ken Warner
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                        Beanie cam? Seriously, some of the small cams have enough
                        resolution for journalistic purposes. And a little
                        parallax error would also be tolerable.

                        crane@... wrote:
                        > Quoting crane@...:
                        >
                        >> Quoting crane@...:

                        >> http://www.360cities.net/image/refuse-collector-kota-batavia-jakarta-indonesia
                        >> obsessives
                        >>> It is good to see some photojournalist type stuff in 360, personally I
                        >> have
                        >>> always believed that is it's strength.
                        >> further to that , I appreciate it is tricky to be anonymous though, no
                        >> hiding
                        >> the leica under your jacket, so it is a little bit different to capturing
                        >> people
                        >> unawares, maybe someone could suggest apparatus for surreptitious 360
                        >> photography ? an umbrella would make a huge nadir problem.
                        > or maybe a bicycle crash helmet with camera attached camouflaged by a kermit the
                        > frog puppet ??
                        > what do people think ?
                        >
                        > mick

                      • prague
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
                          Hi Ken,

                          The controls are a bit "too obvious" for you, who knows what you're getting. for people who aren't used to seeing panos all the time, this obvious controller will tell them, obviously, that this is not a photo, and not a video.

                          and pro users such as yourself can click the 'hide controls' button...

                          cheers,
                          Jeffrey

                          > Yeah, that's better. Lemme ax you guys a question.
                          >
                          > Why not put a control bar/dash board/menu bar (whatever you want to call
                          > it) underneath the viewport window? Make it small and unobtrusive then
                          > you don't have to turn it off to get it out of the way. Simpler code --
                          > simpler interface -- easier to see the pano.
                          >
                          > Mark D. Fink wrote:
                          > > Hi Ken,
                          > >
                          > > Quite simple, actually. Click on the Hide Controls button and you get a nice
                          > > clean screen.
                          > >
                          > > Mark
                          > > www.northernlight.net
                          > > www.pinnacle-vr.com

                        • Mark D. Fink
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                            What about hiding the camera(s) inside a box? You could "hide" the
                            protruding lenses by painting the outside of the box with a design that
                            incorporates the lenses, like a clown's face with the lens as the mouth.
                            Then, you could set it up on a stand and fire it remotely as people pass by.

                            Hiding in plain sight...

                            Mark
                            www.northernlight.net
                            www.pinnacle-vr.com