Google become real competitors.

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 25, 2009
      I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but now it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much more alike Virtual Tours as we do.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html

      Hans
    • Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 25, 2009
        Hans,

        I bet that sooner or later Google will drive a trike inside places too.
        Remember, Google wants to own the world information to sell it bit by
        bit, why wouldn't they at some point go inside Hotels, Restaurants,
        Shopping malls, Museums, etc?

        I would really like to see some street view from Iraque though ;-)

        Os melhores cumprimentos,
        Best regards,

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Carlos Chegado

        Olho de Peixe Lda
        Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
        Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

        || Always reply to: mail@... || Skype: carloschegado ||
        facebook.com/carloschegado || twitter.com/carloschegado ||

        Hans escreveu:

        > I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but
        > now it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much
        > more alike Virtual Tours as we do.
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
        > <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html>
        >
        > Hans

      • prague
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 25, 2009
          we have a few panos from iraq but only from mosques, not from streets

          LOTS from iran, from a fantastic photographer, Ramin Dehdashti

          the ones from iraq are from very inexperienced pano photographers but we're trying to help them improve. :-)

          Jeffrey

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com" <carloschegado@...> wrote:

          > Hans,
          >
          > I bet that sooner or later Google will drive a trike inside places too.
          > Remember, Google wants to own the world information to sell it bit by
          > bit, why wouldn't they at some point go inside Hotels, Restaurants,
          > Shopping malls, Museums, etc?
          >
          > I would really like to see some street view from Iraque though ;-)
          >
          > Os melhores cumprimentos,
          > Best regards,
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >
          > Carlos Chegado
          >
          > Olho de Peixe Lda
          > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
          > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
          >
          > || Always reply to: mail@... || Skype: carloschegado ||
          > facebook.com/carloschegado || twitter.com/carloschegado ||
          >
          > || Fotografia 360� �� www.carloschegado.com || Olho de Peixe Lda ��
          > www.olhodepeixe.pt || Impress�o Digital �� www.xprints.com ||
          >

          > Hans escreveu:
          > >

          > > I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but
          > > now it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much
          > > more alike Virtual Tours as we do.
          > >
          > > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
          > > <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html>
          > >
          > > Hans

        • Paul Stewart
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 25, 2009
            Hans,

            This is a bit strange because you are willing to run Google Ads on your
            sites.

            You are implying that Google will/may become direct competitors to our
            businesses, but you are happy to take the Ad revenue (and you've mentioned
            it pays before) while hosting a plethora of other peoples panoramic work....

            Hmmm... I can't figure this one out Hans.

            Where do you stand? Or should I say, what is your preference?

            Do you pay people to have their work hosted on your sites?

            Paul

            --
            [ w ] www.mouthtosource.net
            [ a ] 66e1, Street 113, Phnom Penh
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 25, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Paul Stewart <paul@...> wrote:

              > Hans,
              >
              > This is a bit strange because you are willing to run Google Ads on your
              > sites.
              >
              > You are implying that Google will/may become direct competitors to our
              > businesses, but you are happy to take the Ad revenue (and you've mentioned
              > it pays before) while hosting a plethora of other peoples panoramic work....
              >
              > Hmmm... I can't figure this one out Hans.
              >
              > Where do you stand? Or should I say, what is your preference?

              Paul
              I am just pointing out todays news item about Google which happens to have connection to Virtual Tours.
              Please do not mix things which has no connection to each other.

              Hans

              > On 11/25/09 9:46 PM, "PanoTools NG" <PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > > 5a. Google become real competitors.
              > > Posted by: "Hans" hans@... panoramicsdk
              > > Date: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 am ((PST))
              > >
              > > I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but now it
              > > looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much more alike
              > > Virtual Tours as we do.
              > >
              > > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
              > >
              > > Hans
              >
              > --
              > [ w ] www.mouthtosource.net
              > [ a ] 66e1, Street 113, Phnom Penh
              > [ t ] +855 (0)11 76 30 31
              > [ e ] paul@...
              > [ r ] The Mekong

            • lybarrondo
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009

                > I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but now it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much more alike Virtual Tours as we do.
                >
                > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
                >
                > Hans

                I wonder what sort of a tax write-off and marketing benefits come from their "altruistic" efforts to bring art to the masses.

                They will excel at brute-force, assembly line panoramas. As long as the public still values artistic excellence, there will be a market for the work I see done here.

                Loren
              • lybarrondo
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009

                    > I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but now it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much more alike Virtual Tours as we do.
                    >
                    > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
                    >
                    > Hans

                    I wonder what sort of a tax write-off and marketing benefits come from their "altruistic" efforts to bring art to the masses.

                    They will excel at brute-force, assembly line panoramas. As long as the public still values artistic excellence, there will be a market for the work I see done here.

                    Loren
                  • luca vascon
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                      echo echo eco..
                      I agree agree agree.

                      2009/11/26 lybarrondo <lybarrondo@...>:

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but now it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much more alike  Virtual Tours as we do.
                      >>
                      >> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
                      >>
                      >> Hans
                      >>

                      > I wonder what sort of a tax write-off and marketing benefits come from their "altruistic" efforts to bring art to the masses.
                      >
                      > They will excel at brute-force, assembly line panoramas.  As long as the public still values artistic excellence, there will be a market for the work I see done here.
                      >
                      > Loren

                      Luca Vascon.

                      www.canalview.it
                      www.officinepanottiche.com
                    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                        Quoting lybarrondo <lybarrondo@...>:

                        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I do not really think of Streetview as a competition to what we do but now
                        > it looks like they have plans of doing something that becomes much more alike
                        > Virtual Tours as we do.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/world/middleeast/25iraq.html
                        > >
                        > > Hans
                        > >

                        > I wonder what sort of a tax write-off and marketing benefits come from their
                        > "altruistic" efforts to bring art to the masses.
                        >
                        > They will excel at brute-force, assembly line panoramas. As long as the
                        > public still values artistic excellence, there will be a market for the work
                        > I see done here.
                        >
                        > Loren
                        It's so annoying. I've been chasing government departments, educationalists and
                        museums for the last 4 years about doing online stuff. In waltz google and you
                        can be sure the quangos will be fawning all over them.

                        mick

                      • AYRTON
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                          On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:19 PM, <crane@...> wrote:

                          > Quoting lybarrondo <lybarrondo@...>:
                          > It's so annoying. I've been chasing government departments, educationalists
                          > and
                          > museums for the last 4 years about doing online stuff. *In waltz google
                          > and you
                          > can be sure the quangos will be fawning all over them.*
                          > mick

                          Sorry but I can't understand all the slangs !?! :-)
                          Pls someone can translate it for us ?

                          best
                          AYRTON

                          ------------
                          | A Y R |
                          | T O N |
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                            Quoting AYRTON <avi@...>:

                            > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:19 PM, <crane@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Quoting lybarrondo <lybarrondo@...>:
                            > > It's so annoying. I've been chasing government departments,
                            > educationalists
                            > > and
                            > > museums for the last 4 years about doing online stuff. *In waltz google
                            > > and you
                            > > can be sure the quangos will be fawning all over them.*
                            > > mick
                            > >

                            > Sorry but I can't understand all the slangs !?! :-)
                            > Pls someone can translate it for us ?

                            waltz is a dance

                            fawning is like with big baby deer eyes (To seek favor or attention by flattery
                            and obsequious(slave like) behavior.)

                            quango is a semi autonimous (self governing) government department.

                          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                              autonomous

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                                Tks

                                now I get a feeling of what he means :-)

                                best

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                                  Quoting AYRTON <avi@...>:

                                  > Tks
                                  >
                                  > now I get a feeling of what he means :-)

                                  who is he ?
                                  "the cat's father ?"

                                  ;-)

                                  mick

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                                    On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM, <crane@...> wrote:

                                    > Quoting AYRTON <avi@...>:
                                    > > Tks
                                    > > now I get a feeling of what he means :-)
                                    >
                                    > who is he ?
                                    > "the cat's father ?"

                                    what ??? Now I'm going nuts
                                    ???

                                    > ;-)
                                    >
                                    > mick

                                    ------------
                                    | A Y R |
                                    | T O N |
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                                      Quoting AYRTON <avi@...>:

                                      > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM, <crane@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Quoting AYRTON <avi@...>:
                                      > > > Tks
                                      > > > now I get a feeling of what he means :-)
                                      > >
                                      > > who is he ?
                                      > > "the cat's father ?"
                                      > >

                                      > what ??? Now I'm going nuts
                                      > ???
                                      I remember when I was young I would say " but she said" refering to my mother or
                                      auntie or grandmother and they would pounce on me ( if she was present )saying
                                      " who is she? the cat's mother?" so when you said "he" when I, me , myself,
                                      personally answered your post and was online I remembered that.

                                      mick

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 26, 2009
                                        :-)

                                        On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM, <crane@...> wrote:

                                        > Quoting AYRTON <avi@...>:

                                        > > > who is he ?
                                        > > > "the cat's father ?"
                                        > > >

                                        > > what ??? Now I'm going nuts
                                        > > ???
                                        > I remember when I was young I would say " but she said" refering to my
                                        > mother or
                                        > auntie or grandmother and they would pounce on me ( if she was present
                                        > )saying
                                        > " who is she? the cat's mother?" so when you said "he" when I, me , myself,
                                        > personally answered your post and was online I remembered that.
                                        >
                                        > mick

                                        ------------
                                        | A Y R |
                                        | T O N |
                                      • prague
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "lybarrondo" <lybarrondo@...> wrote:

                                          > They will excel at brute-force, assembly line panoramas. As long as the public still values artistic excellence, there will be a market for the work I see done here.
                                          >
                                          > Loren

                                          WHERE do you live. Can I move there?

                                          ROTFL :-)
                                        • luca vascon
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                                            I'm coming too!!!
                                            ideas and concept, ability and BIG MARKETING are the ony one things
                                            that can save us, I think.

                                            2009/11/27 prague <360cities@...>:

                                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "lybarrondo" <lybarrondo@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> They will excel at brute-force, assembly line panoramas.  As long as the public still values artistic excellence, there will be a market for the work I see done here.
                                            >>
                                            >> Loren
                                            >>

                                            > WHERE do you live. Can I move there?
                                            >

                                            > ROTFL :-)

                                            Luca Vascon.

                                            www.canalview.it
                                            www.officinepanottiche.com
                                          • guillaume_fulchiron
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Nov 27, 2009
                                              "Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com" <carloschegado@...> wrote:

                                              > Hans,
                                              >
                                              > I bet that sooner or later Google will drive a trike inside places too.
                                              > Remember, Google wants to own the world information to sell it bit by
                                              > bit, why wouldn't they at some point go inside Hotels, Restaurants,
                                              > Shopping malls, Museums, etc?

                                              You're right, they're getting closer to the action :
                                              http://sites.pressatgoogle.com/streetviewcanada/Home/announcement

                                              But there is still place for real action sport panoramas, I hope...

                                              Cheers,

                                              G.