Canal-View: a 553-pano traverse of the Grand Canal

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 24, 2009
      I just got a look at what Luca Vascon and his partner Chiara Masiero
      Sgrinzatto did last summer, and am still trying to pull up my socks.

      What they did was make 553 spherical panoramas on one trip through
      Venice's Grand Canal. Not video, real panos stitched from 3 shots with
      10.5 Nikkor lenses on 3 full-frame D700 cameras, beautiful exposure and
      color, and very decent resolution: 6600x3300 equirectangular.

      There is a detailed 6-page write up, in Italian,of what they did and how
      they did it on Nikon of Italy's web
      site(http://www.nital.it/experience/canal-view.php). Despite my very
      weak Italian, I was able to find a lot of interesting information there.

      The pictures have been used in a commercially sponsored interactive
      exhibition (already closed, I fear) which apparently let you select a
      pano by moving a model boat on a map of the canal, then navigate around
      in it with your fingers.

      But though the pictures are not spaced as close as movie frames, they
      are close enough that you get a coherent sense of motion through the
      city when you view them as a video
      (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPPqCq1X2g). So I'll bet it would be
      possible to create a continuous panoramic movie with a special viewer
      (running on a supercomputer?) or some kind of massive morpher/blender.

      Congratulations to Luca and Chiara for pushing the state of the art a
      good way forward!

    • Jim Watters
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2009
        It is excellent work and I enjoy it.
        No supercomputer is needed to view a full interactive VR movie of at
        least medium quality. Either Lucid or krpano on a good system with a
        good video card should be able to handle a 2000 pixel wide VR video.
        Todays Gaming PC should do much better.

        My Core2Duo@2.4Ghz with a mediocre ATI X1300 video card can display my
        2048X1024 video VR
        - full screen on a 1920X1080 display at 13 fps while panning.
        - to a window 600X800 at just under 30 fps while panning.
        http://photocreations.ca/mff2008_wpt2006/index.html
        An old laptop or new Net-book will not be able to handle it.
        My problem is that I could not get my video editing software to render
        out a size wider than 2048 and input images had to be smaller than 4096
        wide.

        I find that an interactive panorama video does not need to be more than
        15 frames per second. With my example that I shot in 2006 I am using
        preprocessing to slowly blend the images together and showing the result
        at about 15 fps (if I remember right). If this could have been done on
        the client machine then a lot of bandwidth could have been saved.

        What is required is space and bandwidth to store and transmit the high
        quality movie.
        The youtube video is only 320X640 and runs almost 4MB and looks heavily
        compressed.

        320 * 640 = .2 Mpix
        1024 * 2048 = 2.0 Mpix
        3300 * 6600 = 20.7 Mpix

        100 times more pixels to broadcast full resolution. And higher quality
        compression is definitely needed.

        I would love to see Venice's Grand Canal as a full interactive panorama
        video. I would wait the time it would take to download to view it the
        way it should be.
        In the mean time there is this.

        http://www.360cities.net/labs/city-tour/venice

        Jim Watters

        --
        Jim Watters
        http://photocreations.ca
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2009
          :-P
          Thanx to you all!!!
          still did not try with Lucid...
          Viewer tecnology is the limit, right now.
          I've a triple-sli mainboard and I could try a triple nvidia 280 if I
          had some money for video cards.
          The other pc is a 3ghz quand core w/ ati 4870 with 1gb, xp 48bit, 8gb
          ram, 4xraid0... and is the reason I got all the panos stitched in one
          day.

          Luca Vascon.

          www.canalview.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com