How many VR images in the row can you 'consume' before starting to feel bored?

  • 1drey
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
      My 'norm' is 5-6 panoramas. 10 - if they are exceptionally interesting.

      It is not an abstract question.

      I have a feeling that 'normal' virtual tour has some optimal size - I mean the number of panos, text, hotspots etc. So when I am discussing with the client the number of panos that should be included in the VR tour, I am fighting between my desire to shoot as many panos as a client can afford and understanding that too many panos won't make a tour better (and make my client happy).

      Unhappy clients doesn't come back :)
    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
        Quoting 1drey <ilyin1drey@...>:

        > My 'norm' is 5-6 panoramas. 10 - if they are exceptionally interesting.
        >
        > It is not an abstract question.
        >
        > I have a feeling that 'normal' virtual tour has some optimal size - I mean
        > the number of panos, text, hotspots etc. So when I am discussing with the
        > client the number of panos that should be included in the VR tour, I am
        > fighting between my desire to shoot as many panos as a client can afford and
        > understanding that too many panos won't make a tour better (and make my
        > client happy).
        >
        > Unhappy clients doesn't come back :)

        I think it's not so much how many but how long do things take to load.

        <click> ooh that's intersting.
        as opposed to <click> please wait loading..........<bye>
        but your stuff seems to load pretty quick anyway.

        regards

        mick

      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
          Absolutely agree.... and that is why the preloader (cache) plugin being one
          of the greatest default features in FFC.

          The time wasted on waiting or other non-productive things, is what truly
          kills off any user experience. People don't want to waste their time on
          waiting for something to happen. They want things HERE and NOW..... which
          explains the popularity of fast-"food" places in the world... it's not the
          quality of the food that makes it popular, it is the time people save, that
          is the true base of success.

          Trausti

          On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM, <crane@...> wrote:

          > I think it's not so much how many but how long do things take to load.

        • Pat Swovelin
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
            On 11/24/2009 9:48 AM, 1drey's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
            typed ...:
            > My 'norm' is 5-6 panoramas. 10 - if they are exceptionally interesting.
            >
            > It is not an abstract question.
            >
            > I have a feeling that 'normal' virtual tour has some optimal size - I
            > mean the number of panos, text, hotspots etc. So when I am discussing
            > with the client the number of panos that should be included in the VR
            > tour, I am fighting between my desire to shoot as many panos as a
            > client can afford and understanding that too many panos won't make a
            > tour better (and make my client happy).
            >
            > Unhappy clients doesn't come back :)
            It's not how many can you consume before becoming bored, rather it's did
            you shoot sufficient coverage of the venue/event to give the site
            visitor the opportunity to see what he wants to see? Allowing the site
            visitor to see what interests *him* vs. what *you* think is important,
            is the true measure of a useful VR tour.

            In the end VR tours are for the site visitor and no one else, so they
            are your real customer, not the client. Even thought the client pays
            your bill the #1 rule in retail is "the customer is always right" so all
            sites *and* their content need to be focused on keeping the site visitor
            happy, and happy site visitors *will* come back. After all excited and
            eager returning site visitors *are* what the client wants.

            Well that and a boatload of panoramas for $100 ... but that's not going
            to happen. =8^)

            Pat Swovelin
            Cool Guy @ Large
          • robert
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 24, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "1drey" <ilyin1drey@...> wrote:

              > My 'norm' is 5-6 panoramas. 10 - if they are exceptionally interesting.
              >
              > It is not an abstract question.

              It is a form of abstract question in this case as your'e not discussing a specific tour or set of images or even class of image or subject.

              There is no such thing as a normal virtual tour. There are really bad ones that don't benefit from being a 360 image are very poorly technically done and have a horrible interface. I can only look at about 180 degrees of one of these usually.

              Then there are well done ones of normal places that gain a bit from being a 360 and have a OK interface. I can look at 2-3 of these perhaps.

              And finally the really good ones of places you've never been to, never will physically go to and are so well done they make you look and look and have an interface that does not get in the way of enjoying the view. This set I could look at all day if I could find them all day.

              So, back to your clients, do what's right and shoot/make what makes sense for them and you'll have repeat customers. Do what's right for only you and you'll sell them once.

              Regards,

              Robert
            • prague
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 25, 2009
                There's not necessarily a reason that all viewers need to see all images.

                Just like the fact that no one reads everything, no one views all pages on a website, etc.

                Having all images / info available, so that it CAN be accessed, might be the valuable thing.

                That said, of course, images need to load fast. that's a given, whether it's one panorama or 100.

                Jeffrey