Re: Speeding up Enfuse

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 23, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "robt.fisher@..." <photog@...> wrote:

      > Only a dual core processor so not an issue.
      >
      > Did some more playing around today. Either using the LR plugin or EnfuseGUI, the CPU >usage was quite low at any point in the process. I increased the program priority in >Task Manager to High for LR, Align Image Stack and Enfuse. It made no difference. The >CPU ran at a higher usage rating - basically 50% which is expected since Enfuse only <uses a single core - but the time to process was unchanged. Still far, far longer than any <of you are experiencing.

      I only use Windows for testing, but I have read some reports in the PTGui group that people seems to have problems running PTGUI with Virus protection running.

      As a Mac user I of Course find it ridiculous but from what I understand it has to do with the Virus Scanner is scanning the tempfiles,
      I assume Enfuse also use tempfiles,
      http://groups.google.com/group/ptgui/browse_thread/thread/496de2a9adcc69e0/502d98a2e318d073?lnk=gst&q=virus+#502d98a2e318d073

      Hans

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "ingemar_b" <ingemar@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <hans@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Enfuse does not support more than 1 core but what EnfuseGui does is
      > > > it uses several cores for batch processing.
      > > > Enfusing only 1 set just uses 1 core but when you batch you start
      > > > several sets of images, one set in each core.
      > > >
      > > > I did a test using 8 sets of 16bit 5D 12megapixel images 4 images
      > > > in each set.
      > > >
      > > > Bracketeer = 8.40
      > > > EnfuseGui = 3.56
      > > >
      > > > That will be speeding it up when I get a new fast quadcore Mac.
      > > >
      > > > Hans
      > > >

      > > One thing currently with EnfuseGUI is that you will not get any speed benefit using more than 3-4 processors for batching. I have an Intel Core i7 which is a Quad Core processor with Hyperthreading, providing 8 processors to EnfuseGUI. The problem is that EnfuseGUI spawns one enfuse-process for every processor, and since enfuse is very disk-intensive, it will saturate the disk-subsystem quickly and provide no benefit using more than 4 processors. Actually using too many processors can slow down the processing.
      > >
      > > Currently EnfuseGUI uses an Auto setting by default, which uses all available processors. If you have a Quad Core system it's recommended that you go into the Preferences of EnfuseGUI and change the CPU usage count to 3 or 4 instead of Auto. If you have an ultra-fast disk-subsystem with a lot of cache you might benefit from a higher CPU-setting. Testing different settings is a good way to find out the optimum setting for your configuration.
      > >

      > > / Ingemar

    • Hans
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 23, 2009