Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Vertigo next level

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 21, 2009
      Reminds me of old times. While living in Denmark, I worked in a company
      providing anti-condensation paint for roofs. We would go all over Europe
      providing the service, in all kinds of places. In 1995 I went to former
      East Germany to a big warehouse that was to be painted, and for the job I
      had a one armed 4wd lift with a reach of around 30 or 40 meters. I had
      operated such equipment on many occations and had obtained license to
      operate them through courses, so it was just "work as usual"... until the
      hydraulics failed, with me in the basket stretched all the way out, but only
      at around 12 -14 meters height. My assistant could not figure anything out,
      could not speak German and was completely useless in the situation. It was
      around 11 in the night, so there weren't any other people around.
      Fortunately for me, the wall of the building was only a couple of meters
      away (metal structure), and above me was the roof with an I-beam. I grabbed
      the I-beam and got to the wall and moved down from there.

      An hour or so later I could continue the work without incidents.If I had
      been further away from the wall, I would not have tried to go by the I-beam,
      and it was absolutely out of the question to try and go down by the arm, due
      to all the grease it was covered in.

      Another incident I had in working heights; was working (same company,
      different location) up in an aluminum scaffold, only some 10 meters up. It
      was badly put up, without support legs, since the position it was in, would
      only take a couple of minutes of spray-painting. When I finished painting
      and went over the end railing to start going down, the darn thing started
      falling onto it's side... that was the fastest down-climb I have ever had
      from a scaffold, jumping off it at 2 meters altitude.

      Lady luck has been kind to me many times.

      Trausti