Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: OT - scanning black and white negatives

  • mrjimbo
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 20, 2009
      Luca,
      As far as scanners go you have many ways to go.. I think your 750 comes set up to wetmount do you use that? Of the lower cost scanners it, my opinion one of the better ones.. As far as scanning goes regardless of the scanner making great scans is just as much a function of the operator as it is the equipment.. In today's digital world most users figure that when you take the camera out of the box or the scanner out of the box it is a good as you can get so use it.. On the higher end equipment the first thing that is different is the commitment typically both from a user standpoint and from a manufacturing standpoint.. These scanners are designed to be used daily so their built differently.. A huge difference it typically the software.. It's user interface is designed to allow the tech to do more an dgo farther plus make quick adjustments to the scanner out put typically based on what your needs are.. So it's faster.. This stuff is usually set up so it's easy to profile your scanner to have it be all it can be.
      Ok, many of the older scanners are far superior to any of the newer offerings.. Film has potentially more dynamic range then digital so the maximum true optical density possible will be from a drum scanner.. The technology used is superior to CCD's I know I know their all this hype that theirs no difference anymore.. BS .. CCD have a true density range that is much lower then most of us think... technology has used interpolation to bump it up.
      Ok so as far as drum scanners go ..they take some room and also a fairly good learning curve..
      Some good ones to look for are ICG, Heidelberg Tango, Aztek, Howtek Hi resolve or any that do 4000 dpi and above.
      As far as flat beds Creo , Screen , Scitex, Heidelp Topaz or Nexscan, Agfa , Lanovia or Fuji and some models of the Flextight..

      If you really take something like this on you'll need to do more homework.. Say the Heidelebrg Topaz.. it has a few different versions and they progressively got better and they had a few different versions that had various cards in them.. They ended up with the Nexscan which captured all their efforts.. A few models of the Flextight are not really that good your 750 is at least that good but they had a few that were better. A few models literally had access to the total optical output of the scanner on the entire glass ..They did this via high end stitching technology.. Parts and servicxe for all this stuff can get scary at times but if you get a good machine they work well for a long time. Some scanners have really neat features..The Aztek Premier or Howtek High Resolve both will scan small areas at 64,000 dpi...No that's not a typo.. Sounds like a joke to most but their using 16 bit raw LAB scan data to do it so the result will probably amaze you.. Both of these scanners will scan an 8x10 at their optical dpi of 8000 in 16 bit.. now that's a file...around 20 GB..Many of these scanners only run on olders computers with older OS's...Mac OS 9 is the choice for many.
      Anyway, hopefully that answers your earlier question..

      jimbo