Re: arithmetic

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
      crane wrote:

      > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder will
      > be in a cubeface.
      > does that look right ? an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor
      >
      > http://www.panagito.com/MISC/photo01.jpg

      Yes.

      > extra points for posting the calculation.

      Since standard fisheye in a first approximation maps an angle in reality
      to a distance on the sensor you can simply use the sizes as you did in
      your draft. If the fisheye shows 170° on 22.5mm it will show 90° on
      11.9mm (22.5*90/170 or 15*90/113.34).

      best regards
    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
        >an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor

        What coverage percentage in the viewfinder? Many only give 95% or so.

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
          Quoting Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:

          > crane wrote:
          >
          > > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder will
          > > be in a cubeface.
          > > does that look right ? an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor
          > >
          > > http://www.panagito.com/MISC/photo01.jpg
          >
          > Yes.
          >
          > > extra points for posting the calculation.
          >
          > Since standard fisheye in a first approximation maps an angle in reality
          > to a distance on the sensor you can simply use the sizes as you did in
          > your draft. If the fisheye shows 170° on 22.5mm it will show 90° on
          > 11.9mm (22.5*90/170 or 15*90/113.34).

          Erik get 20 points and an extra 10 for using the word reality (what's wrong with
          reality(tm))

          cheers

          mick

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
            Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

            > >an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor
            >
            > What coverage percentage in the viewfinder? Many only give 95% or so.

            2 points

          • panostar
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
              > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder
              > will be in a cubeface.
              > does that look right ?

              Using PTGui rather than maths, the view should look more like:

              http://www.johnhpanos.com/sig8cube.jpg

              John
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
                Quoting panostar <j.houghton@...>:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
                > > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder
                > > will be in a cubeface.
                > > does that look right ?
                >
                > Using PTGui rather than maths, the view should look more like:
                >
                > http://www.johnhpanos.com/sig8cube.jpg
                15 points but no extra.
                It does look very small when drawn accurately.

                cheers

                mick