arithmetic

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
      hello,
      I know you guys are good at maths.
      I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder will be in a
      cubeface.
      does that look right ? an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor

      http://www.panagito.com/MISC/photo01.jpg

      extra points for posting the calculation.

      cheers

      mick

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
        crane wrote:

        > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder will
        > be in a cubeface.
        > does that look right ? an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor
        >
        > http://www.panagito.com/MISC/photo01.jpg

        Yes.

        > extra points for posting the calculation.

        Since standard fisheye in a first approximation maps an angle in reality
        to a distance on the sensor you can simply use the sizes as you did in
        your draft. If the fisheye shows 170° on 22.5mm it will show 90° on
        11.9mm (22.5*90/170 or 15*90/113.34).

        best regards
      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
          >an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor

          What coverage percentage in the viewfinder? Many only give 95% or so.

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
            Quoting Erik Krause <erik.krause@...>:

            > crane wrote:
            >
            > > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder will
            > > be in a cubeface.
            > > does that look right ? an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor
            > >
            > > http://www.panagito.com/MISC/photo01.jpg
            >
            > Yes.
            >
            > > extra points for posting the calculation.
            >
            > Since standard fisheye in a first approximation maps an angle in reality
            > to a distance on the sensor you can simply use the sizes as you did in
            > your draft. If the fisheye shows 170° on 22.5mm it will show 90° on
            > 11.9mm (22.5*90/170 or 15*90/113.34).

            Erik get 20 points and an extra 10 for using the word reality (what's wrong with
            reality(tm))

            cheers

            mick

          • crane@ukonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
              Quoting Keith Martin <keith@...>:

              > >an 8mm fisheye on a 22.5 x 15 sensor
              >
              > What coverage percentage in the viewfinder? Many only give 95% or so.

              2 points

            • panostar
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
                > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder
                > will be in a cubeface.
                > does that look right ?

                Using PTGui rather than maths, the view should look more like:

                http://www.johnhpanos.com/sig8cube.jpg

                John
              • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Quoting panostar <j.houghton@...>:

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, crane@... wrote:
                  > > I was trying to work out how much of what I see in the viewfinder
                  > > will be in a cubeface.
                  > > does that look right ?
                  >
                  > Using PTGui rather than maths, the view should look more like:
                  >
                  > http://www.johnhpanos.com/sig8cube.jpg
                  15 points but no extra.
                  It does look very small when drawn accurately.

                  cheers

                  mick