Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: The shape of cameras to come...

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 2, 2009
      Sorry for the confusion... of course lasers don't detect anything... but
      using lasers and receivers that do decode the information carried by the
      returning laser light (that is how the range finding lasers and scanning
      lasers work)... one would "only" have to build a reciever that could do the
      needed calculations carried back by the lasers, and from the calculations,
      the correct colours would be generated.

      It's not here yet. Maybe it won't ever get here, but that would seriously
      surprise me. When I was 8 years old, I made people laugh, by talking about
      cooking food with fast radio waves. Ok, I didn't have the whole concept
      clear, but this was before any microwave oven had ever been made. And no,
      it´s not radio waves, but microwaves... My idea back then was also based on
      the "assumption" that if the "fast waves" would hit a target, the molecles
      would shake and create heat. Not bad for an 8 year old.

      Then there was the wireless transfer of electricity over large distances,
      also done with "fast radio waves"... same summer thoughts ... 35 years
      later, the first tiny steps have been taken into research in that area.

      If I had the whole concept, I would absolutely take out patents and rule the
      world :) I only have loose ideas, and many of those have come true over the
      years. I am sure that lasers can be used to replace glass lenses. At least
      to a certain degree.

      Trausti

      On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM, John Riley <johnriley@...> wrote:

      > No prob Trausti, but lasers don't "detect" any more than a flashlight
      > could detect. They only emit electromagnetic radiation that can be
      > over a wide range frequencies, depending on the lasing material. Some
      > can be tuned to over a range of frequencies. The free-electron laser
      > can be tuned to emit anything from microwaves to x-rays. [More
      > trivia: While I was in grad school at Duke, John Madey, inventor of
      > the free-electron laser, was recruited to move his FEL lab from
      > Stanford to Duke. Mega$$ research grants! After being forced out as
      > director, there were huge patent lawsuits between Madey and Duke that
      > went all the way to the Supreme Court of the US.]
      >
      > You can think of lasers as a kind of very, very special flashlight 8-)
      >
      > John
      >

      > John Riley
      > johnriley@... <johnriley%40chesnet.net>
      > (h)864-461-3504
      > (c)864-431-7075
      > (w)864-503-5775
      >
      > On Nov 2, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
      >
      > > Not trying to teach the teacher... but I am sure there will be
      > > discoveries
      > > that make it possible for lasers to detect colours...

    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!