Re: Sigma 4.5mm on FourThirds or MFT (using adapter etc)?

  • bohonus
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009

      > However, I have an "early adopter" friend who bought the PEN and he
      > found it had a noticeably narrower dynamic range, which is less than
      > ideal for panoramas. So if you are thinking of getting the PEN + Sigma
      > 4.5mm lens, it would be worth trying it out first.
      >
      > Roger

      I got the GF1 as a carry-around camera and also to use on a Gigapan unit. I thought it could be nice if I could also use it to knock off a quick handheld or monopod pano when I don't have my "regular" vr gear with me.
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

        > > Have also been looking at the GF for a light weight VR solution
        > > BUT
        > >
        > > Sigma 4.5
        > > Dimensions Diameter 76.2mm X Length 77.8mm
        > > 3.0 in. X 3.1 in.
        > > Weight 470g/16.6 oz.
        > > GF1 285 g+battery
        > > 119 mm x 71 mm x 36.3 mm (4.69 x 2.8 x 1.43 inches)
        > >
        > > That makes around 800 gr
        > > Price $899 +999 + adapter
        > >
        > > Pentax K-x 512 g + battery 122.5mm x 91.5mm x 67.5mm (4.8 x 3.6 x 2.7 in)
        > > Pentax 10-17 Weight: 11.3 oz. (320g)
        > > Thats around 880 g with battery
        > > Price $649 +525
        > >
        > > Pentax with built in 3 shot HDR from 3 bracketed images
        > > Quality superior to the GF1 for sure.
        > >
        > > What would you choose.?
        > >
        > > Hans
        >
        > Don't forget to consider the nice lenses (e.g. Leica etc) that you can now use with the GF1.

        Leitz on Pentax
        http://www.leitax.com/

        Hans
      • Roger D. Williams
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
          On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:13:57 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> However, I have an "early adopter" friend who bought the PEN and he
          >> found it had a noticeably narrower dynamic range, which is less than
          >> ideal for panoramas. So if you are thinking of getting the PEN + Sigma
          >> 4.5mm lens, it would be worth trying it out first.
          >>
          >> Roger
          >
          > I got the GF1 as a carry-around camera and also to use on a Gigapan
          > unit. I thought it could be nice if I could also use it to knock off a
          > quick handheld or monopod pano when I don't have my "regular" vr gear
          > with me.

          That makes sense. The FL 2x multiplier is actually a help when it comes
          to making Gigapanoramas. I am more tempted by the higher-end P&S cameras
          for a carry-around camera. I used to use my Sharp mobile camera which
          was quite adequate for the job; it had a 28mm equivalent lens and let
          me tweak exposures, etc. But the iPhone (which I love for different
          reasons) just isn't up to it.

          Do you find that the GF1 has a narrow dynamic range, as my friend did
          with the PEN?

          Roger W

          --
          Business: www.adex-japan.com
          Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
            On 3 Nov 2009 at 0:13, bohonus wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
            >
            > > However, I have an "early adopter" friend who bought the PEN and he
            > > found it had a noticeably narrower dynamic range, which is less than
            > > ideal for panoramas. So if you are thinking of getting the PEN + Sigma
            > > 4.5mm lens, it would be worth trying it out first.
            > >
            > > Roger
            >
            > I got the GF1 as a carry-around camera and also to use on a Gigapan unit. I thought it
            > could be nice if I could also use it to knock off a quick handheld or monopod pano
            > when I don't have my "regular" vr gear with me.

            There is also this Sunex fisheye http://www.superfisheye.com/ to consider
            Might be a good choice?
            Here's a white paper on using it on th E-P1
            http://www.sytsma.com/sunextest/sunexonep1.pdf
            Looks good to me!
            And it's a very compact solution with the rotator from Sunex and a monopod.

          • Roger D. Williams
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
              On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:54:41 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

              > Don't forget to consider the nice lenses (e.g. Leica etc) that you can
              > now use with the GF1.

              Now there's a point I'd forgotten! I have several very nice Leica-mount
              Cosina lenses, astonishingly good value and beautiful image quality
              that worked well for me when I used only rangefinder/film cameras. It
              would be nice to give them a second lease of life. But my favourite
              21mm would become a 42mm equivalent, and that's way up in the telephoto
              range for me. <grin>

              But the adapters cost as much as I used to pay for lenses... <sad smile>

              Roger W.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                Oh I see, Ken. I didn't understand your suggestion. Yes, of course you're
                right on that. If they use the same innards they would presumably suffer
                from the same limitations.

                Roger W.

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
                  > There is also this Sunex fisheye http://www.superfisheye.com/ to consider
                  > Might be a good choice?
                  > Here's a white paper on using it on th E-P1
                  > http://www.sytsma.com/sunextest/sunexonep1.pdf
                  > Looks good to me!
                  > And it's a very compact solution with the rotator from Sunex and a monopod.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

                  Ah perfect! I TOTALLY forgot about that Sunex. Thanks Bjørn :)

                  Exactly what I was looking/hoping for to use on my GF1. The fixed aperture and focus is a nice bonus too and keeps things simple.
                • Ken Warner
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Sounds like a nice system to me also. If I only had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                      > Do you find that the GF1 has a narrow dynamic range, as my friend did
                      > with the PEN?
                      >
                      > Roger W

                      Yes I did. I can recover a much larger portion of highlights from my D300 shots in Adobe Camera Raw. The D300 has 14bit A/D conversion though. Can't find the A/D spec for the GF1. Perhaps it is 12bit A/D then? or?

                      I wonder how well the in-camera stabilization of the Pen (the GF1 does not have this feature) will work with the Sunex as the whitepaper linked to in the other post did not not mention it. Seems like it could be a nice feature as well when using a monopod or doing handheld.
                    • bohonus
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                        > Do you find that the GF1 has a narrow dynamic range, as my friend did
                        > with the PEN?
                        >
                        > Roger W

                        I forgot to mention that the exposure bracketing on the GF1 is pretty wonky. Perhaps a future firmware update might address it.
                      • Ken Warner
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                          The test shots go together pretty easy but I think he kicked the tripod
                          on one of the shots. There's some parallax error that shouldn't be there.

                          I'd be happy with that setup. Or on the GF1.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                            On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:56:45 +0900, Bjørn K Nilssen <bk@...>
                            wrote:

                            > There is also this Sunex fisheye http://www.superfisheye.com/ to consider
                            > Might be a good choice?
                            > Here's a white paper on using it on th E-P1
                            > http://www.sytsma.com/sunextest/sunexonep1.pdf
                            > Looks good to me!
                            > And it's a very compact solution with the rotator from Sunex and a
                            > monopod.

                            Very interesting and well-written paper. Claims to be impartial, too, which
                            is good.

                            I did notice some fairly obvious chromatic aberration that will probably
                            require an extra stage of processing before stitching.

                            And the restricted dynamic range means using HDR, although hopefully the
                            pseudo HDR from RAW files may be enough for many cases.

                            I like the look of their rotator, too.

                            Roger

                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                              On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:09:42 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

                              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >> Do you find that the GF1 has a narrow dynamic range, as my friend did
                              >> with the PEN?
                              >>
                              >> Roger W
                              >
                              > Yes I did. I can recover a much larger portion of highlights from my
                              > D300 shots in Adobe Camera Raw. The D300 has 14bit A/D conversion
                              > though. Can't find the A/D spec for the GF1. Perhaps it is 12bit A/D
                              > then? or?

                              Hmmm. I'll see if the Japanese camera mag reviews quote that. They do
                              usually give very complete specs.

                              > I wonder how well the in-camera stabilization of the Pen (the GF1 does
                              > not have this feature) will work with the Sunex as the whitepaper linked
                              > to in the other post did not not mention it. Seems like it could be a
                              > nice feature as well when using a monopod or doing handheld.

                              Ah, that's another useful feature... at my age (early 70s) hand shake
                              is becoming an increasing problem. Of course it's less of a problem with
                              a monopod. That maybe why it wasn't mentioned.

                              Where can I find the best price for a Sunex + rotator? The cheaper US$
                              vs. the JPY (my local currency) is making things more affordable.

                              Roger

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                                On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:14:02 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

                                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >> Do you find that the GF1 has a narrow dynamic range, as my friend did
                                >> with the PEN?
                                >>
                                >> Roger W
                                >
                                > I forgot to mention that the exposure bracketing on the GF1 is pretty
                                > wonky. Perhaps a future firmware update might address it.

                                Oh dear. How wonky?

                                Roger W.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009

                                  > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:14:02 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > >> Do you find that the GF1 has a narrow dynamic range, as my friend did
                                  > >> with the PEN?
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Roger W
                                  > >
                                  > > I forgot to mention that the exposure bracketing on the GF1 is pretty
                                  > > wonky. Perhaps a future firmware update might address it.
                                  >
                                  > Oh dear. How wonky?
                                  >
                                  > Roger W.

                                  1. It will do 3,5 & 7 shots which is fine, but only at 1/3 (useless for HDR) and 2/3 EV increments. You have to shoot the full 7 to get the max +/- 2 EV out of the brackets.

                                  2. The "burst mode" & "bracket mode" are on the same hardware dial (no software switch for it) so you can't just click once and get all the shots unless you hold your finger down the whole time. Being that the GF1 has no mirror slap, this would be a nice burst mode to have.

                                  3. This is a weird one that I have yet to run into on any camera-

                                  From the manual: "The exposure may not be compensated with Auto Bracket depending on the brightness of the subject."

                                  So apparently (as I have not tested this quite yet), the camera will decide on its own if it wants to bracket or not regardless of what you set it to do? I have to find out yet if it skips the frame all together or if it just duplicates it using a previous exposure value.

                                  4. Another strange one from the manual:

                                  "The Auto Review function is activated regardless of the Auto Review setting".
                                • Hans
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:14:02 +0900, bohonus <bradford@> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Roger D. Williams" <roger@>

                                    > > > I forgot to mention that the exposure bracketing on the GF1 is pretty
                                    > > > wonky. Perhaps a future firmware update might address it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Oh dear. How wonky?
                                    > >
                                    > > Roger W.
                                    >
                                    > 1. It will do 3,5 & 7 shots which is fine, but only at 1/3 (useless for HDR) and 2/3 EV increments. You have to shoot the full 7 to get the max +/- 2 EV out of the brackets.

                                    Thanks for that.
                                    I have actually referred to to GF1 as having the best AEB of any camera besides 1Ds.

                                    This is what DPreview says in the specifications.
                                    Bracketing • 3, 5 or 7 frames • 1/3 to 2.0 EV steps

                                    That is something else than this from Panasonic site:
                                    Auto Bracketing (AE) 3,5,7 frame, in 1/3 or 2/3 EV Step, ±2 EV

                                    Never trust anything without checking the origin.

                                    Hans
                                  • Roger D. Williams
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                      On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:00:52 +0900, bohonus <bradford@...> wrote:

                                      >> > I forgot to mention that the exposure bracketing on the GF1 is pretty
                                      >> > wonky. Perhaps a future firmware update might address it.
                                      >>
                                      >> Oh dear. How wonky?
                                      >>
                                      >> Roger W.
                                      >
                                      > 1. It will do 3,5 & 7 shots which is fine, but only at 1/3 (useless for
                                      > HDR) and 2/3 EV increments. You have to shoot the full 7 to get the max
                                      > +/- 2 EV out of the brackets.

                                      Perhaps they don't expect people to use bracketing for HDR, but more
                                      for "making sure" you get the right exposure in difficult situations
                                      where the auto exposure function might not give optimum results.

                                      Even my D300 only gives 1.0 EV increments.

                                      > 2. The "burst mode" & "bracket mode" are on the same hardware dial (no
                                      > software switch for it) so you can't just click once and get all the
                                      > shots unless you hold your finger down the whole time. Being that the
                                      > GF1 has no mirror slap, this would be a nice burst mode to have.

                                      Hmmm. Less than optimum.

                                      > 3. This is a weird one that I have yet to run into on any camera-
                                      >
                                      > From the manual: "The exposure may not be compensated with Auto Bracket
                                      > depending on the brightness of the subject."

                                      I think this means that the Auto Bracket might not be set to cover the
                                      range of exposures that WOULD be necessary for the particular brightness
                                      of the subject.

                                      > So apparently (as I have not tested this quite yet), the camera will
                                      > decide on its own if it wants to bracket or not regardless of what you
                                      > set it to do? I have to find out yet if it skips the frame all together
                                      > or if it just duplicates it using a previous exposure value.
                                      >
                                      > 4. Another strange one from the manual:
                                      >
                                      > "The Auto Review function is activated regardless of the Auto Review
                                      > setting".

                                      After half a professional lifetime translating Japanese manuals into
                                      English, I can only guess this is either an error in the process of
                                      translation or an error in the original Japanese. I certainly came
                                      across enough of the later. It's OT, but my favourite was a lengthy
                                      instruction manual for a rather complicated washing machines that
                                      said, on the very LAST PAGE. "But before doing any of the above, be
                                      sure to make a firm ground connection to avoid the danger of
                                      electrocution." Crazy. So nothing would surprise me...

                                      Roger W.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                        On 3 Nov 2009 at 23:03, Roger D. Williams wrote:

                                        > > 1. It will do 3,5 & 7 shots which is fine, but only at 1/3 (useless for
                                        > > HDR) and 2/3 EV increments. You have to shoot the full 7 to get the max
                                        > > +/- 2 EV out of the brackets.
                                        >
                                        > Perhaps they don't expect people to use bracketing for HDR, but more
                                        > for "making sure" you get the right exposure in difficult situations
                                        > where the auto exposure function might not give optimum results.
                                        >
                                        > Even my D300 only gives 1.0 EV increments.

                                        Yes, I'm sure they didn't think of us when they designed bracketing.
                                        On my favourite camera bracketing doesn't work in manual mode, which makes it useless
                                        anyway, regardless of the number of steps.
                                        Thus I always bracket manually, which works very well on a sturdy tripod and a steady
                                        hand on the dial wheel, and with the IR remote of course. I hardly ever have misaligned
                                        HDR shots using this technique. But then there is no mirror slapping on that camera :)

                                        > > 2. The "burst mode" & "bracket mode" are on the same hardware dial (no
                                        > > software switch for it) so you can't just click once and get all the
                                        > > shots unless you hold your finger down the whole time. Being that the
                                        > > GF1 has no mirror slap, this would be a nice burst mode to have.
                                        >
                                        > Hmmm. Less than optimum.

                                      • bohonus
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009

                                          > Perhaps they don't expect people to use bracketing for HDR, but more
                                          > for "making sure" you get the right exposure in difficult situations
                                          > where the auto exposure function might not give optimum results.
                                          >
                                          > Even my D300 only gives 1.0 EV increments.

                                          Panasonic has recently released a firmware update for the LX3 that boosts the AEB to ±3EV max on the LX3. People are hoping something like will come to the GF1/GH1 too.

                                          > > 2. The "burst mode" & "bracket mode" are on the same hardware dial (no
                                          > > software switch for it) so you can't just click once and get all the
                                          > > shots unless you hold your finger down the whole time. Being that the
                                          > > GF1 has no mirror slap, this would be a nice burst mode to have.
                                          >
                                          > Hmmm. Less than optimum.

                                          Yes and the self timer is on that same wheel as well. So you need the wired remote if you don't want to touch the camera while shooting the sequence.

                                          > > 4. Another strange one from the manual:
                                          > >
                                          > > "The Auto Review function is activated regardless of the Auto Review
                                          > > setting".
                                          >
                                          > After half a professional lifetime translating Japanese manuals into
                                          > English, I can only guess this is either an error in the process of
                                          > translation or an error in the original Japanese. I certainly came
                                          > across enough of the later. It's OT, but my favourite was a lengthy
                                          > instruction manual for a rather complicated washing machines that
                                          > said, on the very LAST PAGE. "But before doing any of the above, be
                                          > sure to make a firm ground connection to avoid the danger of
                                          > electrocution." Crazy. So nothing would surprise me...
                                          >
                                          > Roger W.

                                          What this means is that each image will come up on the main LCD for review, even if you have otherwise turned it off (like to save battery usage when shooting). I think they did this because there is no indication as to which frame in the series you are shooting other than just a blinking AEB icon on the display. No count down or current frame number shown etc.

                                          So yeah- AEB on the GF1/GH1 is a little weird (for the time being anyhow). Some tweaks to the firmware could fix these issues.