Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: The shape of cameras to come...

  • John Riley
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 2, 2009
      No prob Trausti, but lasers don't "detect" any more than a flashlight
      could detect. They only emit electromagnetic radiation that can be
      over a wide range frequencies, depending on the lasing material. Some
      can be tuned to over a range of frequencies. The free-electron laser
      can be tuned to emit anything from microwaves to x-rays. [More
      trivia: While I was in grad school at Duke, John Madey, inventor of
      the free-electron laser, was recruited to move his FEL lab from
      Stanford to Duke. Mega$$ research grants! After being forced out as
      director, there were huge patent lawsuits between Madey and Duke that
      went all the way to the Supreme Court of the US.]

      You can think of lasers as a kind of very, very special flashlight 8-)

      John

      John Riley
      johnriley@...
      (h)864-461-3504
      (c)864-431-7075
      (w)864-503-5775

      On Nov 2, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

      > Not trying to teach the teacher... but I am sure there will be
      > discoveries
      > that make it possible for lasers to detect colours...

    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!