Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: The shape of cameras to come...

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 2, 2009
      I expect lenses to be a thing of the past... in some years.
      Laser "lenses" are already in use, for metering/scanning. I think it is
      only a question of time before lasers will start replacing glass lenses. Of
      course there has to be some more work done before lasers can detect
      colours... (if they can't already)... but it might eliminate the bulky
      lenses we see as an essential part of photography.

      I was laughed at back in 1981, when I stated that in 20 years it would be
      possible to have whole full feature movies on devices that would be no
      bigger than half a pen. One of the comments I would get was: Why half a
      pen, why not just a needle head? ... and I was reminded of the "Fact" that
      tape could not become that thin and small :) My response was that of
      course a movie could be stored on a needle head sized media, but for
      practicality, it would have to have a size that could be handled. If it
      fell to the floor, it should be visible to the naked eye.

      People thought it was complete nonsense.

      Flash drives and miniature memory cards can easily store several full lenght
      movies.

      Lasers to replace lenses.... I will probably have many a laugh on that one
      :)

      Let's see what the situation is in 20 years from now.

      Trausti

      On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

      > Big pocket???

    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!