Re: [PanoToolsNG] The shape of cameras to come...

  • Daniel Reetz
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Keith Martin <keith@...> wrote:

      > >The G1 and GH1 are dslr's. They just don't have a mirror.
      >
      > SLR = single lens reflex. (Or self-loading rifle, but that'd be a
      > different mailing list entirely...)
      >
      > Assuming the mirror action is where the 'reflex' part of the name
      > comes from, would a mirrorless 'SLR' really qualify as a reflex
      > camera? Or would it be a dSL instead?

      I think DSC (digital still camera) is the most apt description (except
      that some of them do motion, yar). Other digital camera subsystems use
      the terminology "TTL" or "through the lens", which might be a
      reasonable way to talk about a camera with an active electronic
      viewfinder.

      Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when we drop "digital" from
      the abbreviation entirely. By now, digital must be eclipsing film in
      numeric terms, and I think we'll soon reach the point where it's more
      important to call something a "film camera" because we'll all
      understand that most cameras are digital and expect photographs to be
      taken with digital sensors. After all, we don't call cars "horseless
      carriage" anymore.

      Daniel Reetz
    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!