Re: [PanoToolsNG] The shape of cameras to come...

  • luca vascon
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 1, 2009
      If`we wanna shift the discussion on more solid basys we have to
      consider the whole image market.
      Hybridation between photo and movie cameras etc.
      EP1 experience is one thing to be inserted in the whole story.
      Leica format is coming from movie 35mm perforated film, 5dmk2 gave
      back leica format to 35mm size movie world.
      The subject of analysies should be the body design in the user's
      context. TO adapt a DSRL to real movie use you have to spend 1000 to
      3000eur more in mattebox, followfocus, rails, larger monitor, and
      expecially HANDLES. I see room for large design inprovements, once the
      market exploration and segment redefinition period is gone.

      In compact camera world, you all know how much I like them... I own a
      PenFT from '70s and I'm proud of it... Time for a redefinition of
      Leica concept, time for REBIRTH of the concept of Contax G1-G2.

      Compact cameras with fixed zoom and Dsrl sensor is not coming yet,
      1 because people is already happy with the quality they already have
      2 because the producing costs have lowered and the margin is big, and
      it is "product cow"time
      3 because such cameras would be definitely larger than current sleek
      pocket digital cameras
      4 because BRIDGE CAMERAS are at the end of their segment life, as it
      was in early 90, and it is that enthusiast segment that will be taken
      or replaced.

      Sigma Panasonic Olympus are taking a speial place on their own. They
      are costing MORE than an entry level Dslr.
      Leica is going on its own specific segment.

      As for me I'm waiting for a fullframe Cosina Voigtlander, to use with
      all my old lenses.

      2009/11/1 Ken Warner <kwarner000@...>:
      > I'm incorrect.  The G1 and GH1 are dslr's.  They just don't
      > have a mirror.
      >
      > Ken Warner wrote:
      >> The G1 GH1 have viewfinders that you use as you describe and are not
      >> dslr's.  True their viewfinders are said to be less satisfactory than
      >> a pentaprism or pentamirror but they will get better.
      >>
      >> And I understand that a lot of people like rangefinder cameras.
      >>
      >> PnS cameras are just one possible mirrorless design.
      >>
      >>> The big problem with PnS cameras is their physical size and LCD viewing
      >>> screen vs. a dedicated viewing system.  In practical use you have to
      >>> hold an LCD screen viewing system camera in front of you to frame the
      >>> shot which means that the camera is "floating" in front of you.  Compare
      >>> that to a dedicated viewing system camera that you "bolt" onto your face
      >>> and becomes one with you thereby forming a much more rigid system than a
      >>> camera that's held in front of you.  Hold a PnS in front of you and try
      >>> to keep the shot framed when you're shooting high speed action and
      >>> you'll readily see the superiority of having a camera "bolted" to your
      >>> face during the same shooting situation.
      >>>
      >>> IMHO for that reason alone no matter how good PnS cameras are they will
      >>> *always* be a mass-market cameras and DLSRs will continue to be
      >>> pro-level cameras.

      >>> Pat Swovelin
      >>> Cool Guy @ Large

      Luca Vascon.

      www.canalview.it
      www.officinepanottiche.com
    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!