Re: [PanoToolsNG] The shape of cameras to come...

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 57 , Nov 1, 2009
      On 10/31/2009 5:59 PM, Ken Warner's hamster got loose on the keyboard
      and typed ...:
      > The G1 GH1 have viewfinders that you use as you describe and are not
      > dslr's. True their viewfinders are said to be less satisfactory than
      > a pentaprism or pentamirror but they will get better.
      >
      > And I understand that a lot of people like rangefinder cameras.
      >
      > PnS cameras are just one possible mirrorless design.

      It's not the mirrorless design I'm referring to, it's the way the camera
      is held and operated. That's the significant difference between the two
      designs.

      >> The big problem with PnS cameras is their physical size and LCD viewing
      >> screen vs. a dedicated viewing system. In practical use you have to
      >> hold an LCD screen viewing system camera in front of you to frame the
      >> shot which means that the camera is "floating" in front of you. Compare
      >> that to a dedicated viewing system camera that you "bolt" onto your face
      >> and becomes one with you thereby forming a much more rigid system than a
      >> camera that's held in front of you. Hold a PnS in front of you and try
      >> to keep the shot framed when you're shooting high speed action and
      >> you'll readily see the superiority of having a camera "bolted" to your
      >> face during the same shooting situation.
      >>
      >> IMHO for that reason alone no matter how good PnS cameras are they will
      >> *always* be a mass-market cameras and DLSRs will continue to be
      >> pro-level cameras.
      >>
      >>> jimbo

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large
    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!