Re: display of Flash text on a Mac vs Windows PC

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi Erik,

      can you define the font (either a special font, or a series of fonts
      like it is defined in a css stylesheet, or generally as plain Ascii /
      serif / non serif)?
      To me it looks like the font is not defined and so the user's default
      font is used.

      Next question would be: is there a system wide default font or does
      flash in this case use the default font defined in the standard browser
      (easy to test: change the default font in the browser's prefs and test
      again).
      I don't think Flash has it's own font prefs... I might be terribly
      wrong, though =8-)

      Carl

      Posted by: "erik_leeman"

      > Just by chance I just found out that text I added to a Pano2VR
      > skin looks different on a Mac than on a PC.
      > Normally not a problem I guess, but in this case on the Mac the
      > text didn't entirely fit inside the text box I made and tested
      > on a PC, and as a consequence part of my text was gone!
      > This certainly is something to keep a keen eye on!
      > But I don't own a Mac, so how do I.... hmmmm.
      >
      > a screenshot of both versions:
      > <http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4058616433_393f41ae30_o.jpg>

    • erik_leeman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi Carl,

        I haven't yet looked into it in detail, and I must admit I never gave it much thought before. Until now I didn't put much text in my Flash panos, just a few words here and there, nothing critical. However, Flash text obviously isn't 'carved in granite', and in some cases it does deserve attention to prevent mishaps like this.
        Embedding a specific font might be an option, but I don't know yet if that can be done in Pano2VR (or any other Flash pano generator).

        Oh, by the way, the screenshots were made from Stand-Alone Flash player windows on a Mac and a WinXP PC, not from internet browsers, so browser settings should not have any part in this matter, at least not in this case.

        Regards,

        Erik Leeman

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Carl von Einem wrote:

        > Hi Erik,
        >
        > can you define the font (either a special font, or a series of fonts
        > like it is defined in a css stylesheet, or generally as plain Ascii
        > /serif / non serif)?
        > To me it looks like the font is not defined and so the user's
        > default font is used.
        >
        > Next question would be: is there a system wide default font or does
        > flash in this case use the default font defined in the standard
        > browser (easy to test: change the default font in the browser's
        > prefs and test again).
        > I don't think Flash has it's own font prefs... I might be terribly
        > wrong, though =8-)
        >
        > Carl
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

          > Hi Carl,
          >
          > I haven't yet looked into it in detail, and I must admit I never gave it much thought before. Until now I didn't put much text in my Flash panos, just a few words here and there, nothing critical. However, Flash text obviously isn't 'carved in granite', and in some cases it does deserve attention to prevent mishaps like this.
          > Embedding a specific font might be an option, but I don't know yet if that can be done in Pano2VR (or any other Flash pano generator).
          >
          > Oh, by the way, the screenshots were made from Stand-Alone Flash player windows on a Mac and a WinXP PC, not from internet browsers, so browser settings should not have any part in this matter, at least not in this case.

          If you do some research you will see that this is an old problem.
          Here are a couple of links
          http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=796673
          http://www.funky-monkey.nl/blog/2007/05/30/resolving-font-problems-between-pcs-and-mac/

          Hans
        • Paulo Fernandes
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
            Hi, flash does have it's own default font
            (_sans and _serif) that it reverts to when
            it doesn't find the requested font in the
            user system. Flash also has font embeding
            capabilities but as far as I know it can only
            be done in the flash IDE.

            But if you're adding the text in pano2vr and
            it has diferent typefaces on Win and Mac,
            it should be storing the text as html, if it wasn't
            the typeface would be the same on both systems.

            One possible solution is to build your
            interface elements in flash and then use
            pano2vr to include them in your tour.

            Com os melhores cumprimentos,

            Paulo Fernandes
            Multimedia