Re: [PanoToolsNG] The shape of cameras to come...

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 31, 2009
      On 10/31/2009 5:33 PM, mrjimbo's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
      typed ...:
      > Constructively, miniaturization will certainly be a big part of the
      > cameras of the future.. With more and more being built into the
      > units.. Realistically, however their will probably be two types of
      > cameras for ever.. What we call point and shoots will continue to get
      > more sophisticated and probably dominate more and more of the market
      > and the DSLR. Certainly they will continue to make strides in features
      > and functions and this is all good. One of the things that we must all
      > not forget is the photographer is what really makes the image.. not
      > the fancy little box you hold in your hand. Cameras will always be
      > able to make record shots but only the shooter will be making art..
      > That being said I look at my hands ...two of them.. They need to be
      > able to run all the controls on my camera... maybe some day we'll have
      > voice commands but I think that's down the road a bit.. So where I'm
      > going with this is that the package that is a camera will need to
      > accommodate my hands to make all the adjustments I want to make..
      > That's also at 20/30 below when I'm wearing gloves.. So camera design
      > will need to accommodate the ergonomics necessary to allow you and I
      > to control our cameras in a meaningful way such that we can continue
      > to make great images.. Soooooooooooo my friends Canon and Nikon will
      > also need to work on evolution so that we can make our hands and
      > fingers smaller to accommodate all these tiny cameras your figuring
      > they'll make.. :-)) Anyway just poking fun but you get the drift.. If
      > you need a 18 oz hammer then a 4 oz just won't get there. It will be
      > fun to watch the changes ...we all see differently.. tis ok.. wouldn't
      > it be fun to have ea time machine?

      The big problem with PnS cameras is their physical size and LCD viewing
      screen vs. a dedicated viewing system. In practical use you have to
      hold an LCD screen viewing system camera in front of you to frame the
      shot which means that the camera is "floating" in front of you. Compare
      that to a dedicated viewing system camera that you "bolt" onto your face
      and becomes one with you thereby forming a much more rigid system than a
      camera that's held in front of you. Hold a PnS in front of you and try
      to keep the shot framed when you're shooting high speed action and
      you'll readily see the superiority of having a camera "bolted" to your
      face during the same shooting situation.

      IMHO for that reason alone no matter how good PnS cameras are they will
      *always* be a mass-market cameras and DLSRs will continue to be
      pro-level cameras.

      > jimbo

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large
    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!