The shape of cameras to come...

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 57 , Oct 31, 2009
      Here's the last few paragraphs of an interesting essay on the future of
      digital cameras -- he describes the camera I'm waiting for...

      http://www.gearlog.com/2009/10/death_of_the_dslr.php

      The E-P1 and GF1 represent the first nail in the DSLR coffin. They clearly show that you can make a smaller, more convenient camera
      with very few trade-offs, especially around quality. The cameras lack optical viewfinders (OVF), and some analysts believe that the
      photo enthusiast would never be willing to forgo these, but this is a fallacy. Most new DSLR customers have been shooting for years
      with digital point-and-shoots that don't have optical viewfinders, or at least not ones that were of much value. They're used to
      shooting this way and can compose beautiful shots on an LCD. Just wander around Flickr to see thousands of photos that prove this point.

      Canon and Nikon dwarf Olympus and Panasonic, so they have some time to react, but they clearly need to. The problem is that a new
      mirrorless system requires a new line of lenses to provide the true benefits of the downscaled format, but both companies already
      have two existing lines of lenses--one for their pro-level, full-frame sensored cameras and one for the consumer DSLRs cameras with
      APS-sized sensors. Having a third line of lenses may be too much, so there's a fair chance we'll see the Big Two go in a different
      direction.

      Instead of focusing on another interchangeable lens format, the companies may release truly compact cameras with built-in zoom
      lenses much like those in their existing PowerShot and Coolpix lines, but with large consumer-level DSLR sensors. This makes sense,
      because ultimately, this is what consumers want--as they showed in the film days. Most digital camera sales still tend towards
      compact units; as nice as the Micro Four Thirds cameras are, they don't slip into your pocket. You need to make a conscious decision
      to carry them around.

      Two small camera manufacturers--Sigma, primarily known for its after-market lenses, and Leica, known for its very pricey premium
      cameras--were first out of the gate with all-in-one big-sensor cameras, the Sigma DP1 and DP2 and Leica X1. All unfortunately use
      fixed-focal-length (non-zoom) lenses, which limit their appeal (as will the Leica's $2,000 price tag). Until these cameras can
      incorporate zooms, they'll be limited to a very small enthusiast market.

      But once they do (and my guess is that this will happen in mid-2010), watch out. Consumer-level DSLRs won't go away; they didn't in
      the film days, and they won't now. But they'll become marginalized as more and more people turn toward more convenient alternatives.
      History has a way of repeating itself.

    • luca vascon
      Message 57 of 57 , Nov 5, 2009
        So maybe you met my father Mario Vascon somewhere in CERN, in the
        accelerator in Geneve, between 70ies or 80ies....??? Depending on how
        old are you!