Re: [PanoToolsNG] new book about panoramic photography and a big thank you

  • Wim Koornneef
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hello Thomas,

      Congratulations.
      For sure your book is an impressive piece of creative hard labour ;-)
      I hope that some day it will hit the shops in an English version.

      All the best, see you in Plymouth,

      Wim
    • Thomas Bredenfeld
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
        @paulo: fpp is mentioned, but at the last three chapters we had to save
        place due to a strictly limited number of pages in the book. i decided
        to mention fpp, but not to go into details because it has quite similar
        approach as krpano (fixed swf with xml-config-file).

        @trausti: same reason for flashificator as an addon for fpp.

        i'm planning to bring more additional content which hasn't found it's
        way into the book on the book website as an extra feature for the book's
        readers and to the visitors website. (and that's a lot of stuff ;-) )

        so feel free to subscribe to the sites blog rss feed to be notified ;-)

        @all with requests for an english version: i'm collecting it and I'll
        tell the editor about it.

        @all: thanks for all the positive replies!

        thomas

        Trausti Hraunfjord schrieb:

        > Und Flashificator?
        >
        > :)
        >
        > Looks like a nice publication worth having.
        >
        > Trausti
        >
        > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Paulo Fernandes <paulo.jf@...
        > <mailto:paulo.jf%40gmail.com>> wrote:
        >

        > > I'll second that request for a English version ;)
        > >
        > > Congratulations, I took a look at the sample pages on amazon and the
        > > (from what I could understand with my limited German) looks very detailed
        > > :)
        > >
        > > Although I see KRPano had a index entry but FPP didn't, it does show
        > on the
        > > glossary
        > > tough ;)
        > >
        > > Keep us posted on how the sales go :)
        > >

        > > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...
        > <mailto:erik.leeman%40xs4all.nl><erik.leeman%40xs4all.nl>>
        > > wrote:
        > >

        > > > Congratulations Thomas!
        > > >
        > > > It was nice meeting you in Prague
        > > >
        > > > Erik Leeman
        > > >

        > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
        > <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
        > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Thomas

        > <http://panoramabuch.com>
        > > >

        > > --
        > > Com os melhores cumprimentos,
        > >
        > > Paulo Fernandes
        > > Multimedia
        > >

        > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        > > Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
        > > Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
        > > 4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
        > > Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
        > >

        > :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

      • panometr
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
          Hi Thomas,

          It is great to hear that your book is ready.
          English version would be very appreciated.

          There is also another new book on Amazon about panoramas.
          It was finally added to Amazon 2 days ago:
          'Mastering Digital Panoramic Photography'
          ISBN-13: 978-1933952451
          Link
          <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933952458/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p14_t1?\
          pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A94XZGC3B7Q5SQ0P07R&pf_\
          rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294>

          This is an English version of a book that was published first in German.
          Panoramaphotographie: Theorie und Praxis
          Link
          <http://www.amazon.de/Panoramafotografie-Theorie-Praxis-Harald-Woeste/dp\
          /3898644405/ref=pd_sim_b_2>

          Thomas, can you refer to Herald Woeste work? What he forgot to write
          about? What is only in your book?

          Which one do you recommend?
          I will get both both books soon. :-)

          Regards,
          Karol

        • Don Bain
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009

            On the US Amazon site that would be: http://tinyurl.com/yagxvaw
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
              "panometr" <k_kwiatek@...> wrote
              > Thomas, can you refer to Herald Woeste work? What he forgot to write
              > about? What is only in your book?

              Harald asked me to proofread some chapters of his book. It has a totally
              different approach than Thomas. He didn't want to write about specific
              software but to describe general concepts and approaches in the first
              part of his book (the one I proofread). The second part describes some
              possible workflows using real life examples - again without paying much
              attention to specific programs.

              As far as I saw Thomas's approach is far more comprehensive but possibly
              more short lived, too. I think both books have their justification.

            • Thomas Bredenfeld
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
                hi karol!

                of course i cannot give a really neutral statement about a book written
                by direct competitor and compare it to my own work ;-)

                as erik pointed out, harald has a different approach. i tried to be much
                more comprehensive and without the given page limit the book would have
                been ended at 500+ pages ;-)

                imho harald often stops before it get's interesting. the basic/historic
                part is relatively long and on the opposite side the output in any
                interactive manner (qtvr, flash etc.) is nearly completely omitted.

                eric is righgt: unfortunatly short lifetime is the destiny of any book
                about software. there's always a version dependency. i'm suffered from
                that with my 3 photoshop books. but in case of panoramic software time's
                running not that fast. to compensate this dependency i decided to setup
                the website to keep my readers a little bit up to date about the things
                written in the book.

                thomas

                panometr schrieb:

                > Hi Thomas,
                >
                > It is great to hear that your book is ready.
                > English version would be very appreciated.
                >
                > There is also another new book on Amazon about panoramas.
                > It was finally added to Amazon 2 days ago:
                > 'Mastering Digital Panoramic Photography'
                > ISBN-13: 978-1933952451
                > Link
                > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933952458/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p14_t1?\
                > pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A94XZGC3B7Q5SQ0P07R&pf_\
                > rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
                > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933952458/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p14_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A94XZGC3B7Q5SQ0P07R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294>>
                >
                > This is an English version of a book that was published first in German.
                > Panoramaphotographie: Theorie und Praxis
                > Link
                > <http://www.amazon.de/Panoramafotografie-Theorie-Praxis-Harald-Woeste/dp\
                > /3898644405/ref=pd_sim_b_2
                > <http://www.amazon.de/Panoramafotografie-Theorie-Praxis-Harald-Woeste/dp/3898644405/ref=pd_sim_b_2>>
                >
                > Thomas, can you refer to Herald Woeste work? What he forgot to write
                > about? What is only in your book?
                >
                > Which one do you recommend?
                > I will get both both books soon. :-)
                >
                > Regards,
                > Karol

              • luca vascon
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                  YATTAAAAAAAAA!!!
                  It is here!!!
                  :0)
                  I want to order a signed copy, to treasure in my shelves!!!
                  One day I will write something too!!!

                  Luca Vascon.

                  www.canalview.it
                  www.officinepanottiche.com
                • Thomas Bredenfeld
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                    hi luca!

                    thanks for your post!

                    luca vascon schrieb:

                    > YATTAAAAAAAAA!!! It is here!!! :0) I want to order a signed copy, to
                    > treasure in my shelves!!!

                    did you mean you ordered one or did you mean me to send you one ;-)
                    (caution, it's in german! ;-) )

                    One day I will write something too!!!

                    oh yeah! what about? panoramic stuff too?

                    special thanks to you for connecting me with martino!

                    cheers
                    thomas