new book about panoramic photography and a big thank you

  • Thomas Bredenfeld
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
      hi panotools list members!

      i feel free to combine the announcement of my new book about panoramic
      photography with a big "thank you" to this list.

      for more than one and a half year i worked on the most comprehensive
      book in german language about digital panoramic photography. currently
      it's reaching the book stores in germany, austria and switzerland.

      the target audience is from beginners up to pros. the first for getting
      a solid overview about the whole workflow from capturing and hardware
      via pre processing, stitching and retouching to output for print and web
      as single panoramas and virtual tours as well, the latter for refining
      their techniques or adding panoramic photography to their professional
      service portfolio.

      for some further information about the book i invite you to visit the
      books companion website: http://panoramabuch.com

      ---

      i could not think of my more than ten years of experience with panoramic
      photography without this list. nearly starting with my first panos i
      subscribed to this list (or better it's predecessor). by regularly
      reading the countless contributions of you all i learned so much. so now
      it's time to return some knowledge back to the panoramic community.

      getting personnally in touch with some list members at the lucerne pt
      meeting 2007 confirmed my impression of a great community. i enjoyed to
      meet you again in prague in 2008. (this year i missed the meeting just
      due to heavy work on the panorama book.)

      let me point out some list members for a special "thank you". they
      together helped me a lot to get my book written:

      - joost nieuwenhuijse
      - aldo hoeben
      - thomas rauscher
      - jeffrey martin
      - peter nyfeler
      - ian wood
      - wim koorneef
      - klaus reinfeld
      - greg downing
      - bernhard vogl
      - luca vascon
      - harry van der wolf
      - alexandre jenny

      (i hope i didn't forget somebody ;-) )

      hope to see you again in plymouth 2010!

      thomas

      ps. sorry for my poor engish and for the little advertisement noise in
      this post ;-)

      thomas bredenfeld
      art => painting & photography
      media => production & training & publishing & consulting
      mail: thomas@...
      web: http://bredenfeld.com
      subscribe to my blog: http://bredenfeld.com/blogfeed
      Meine aktuellen Bücher:
      "Photoshop CS4 - Fortgeschrittene Techniken" - http://photoshopbuch.com
      "Praxisbuch Digitale Panoramafotografie" - http://panoramabuch.com
    • Uri Cogan
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
        Thomas Bredenfeld wrote:

        > for more than one and a half year i worked on the most comprehensive
        > book in german language about digital panoramic photography. currently
        > it's reaching the book stores in germany, austria and switzerland.

        Congratulations and thanks!

        Any plans for an English version?

        --

        Uri Cogan
        http://www.uricogan.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
          Uri Cogan schrieb:
          > Thomas Bredenfeld wrote:
          >

          >> for more than one and a half year i worked on the most comprehensive
          >> book in german language about digital panoramic photography. currently
          >> it's reaching the book stores in germany, austria and switzerland.
          >
          > Congratulations and thanks!
          >
          > Any plans for an English version?

          we're thinking about it, but we'll wait how it starts here in the german
          speaking countries.

          thomas
        • erik_leeman
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
            Congratulations Thomas!

            It was nice meeting you in Prague

            Erik Leeman

            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Bredenfeld wrote:

            > hi panotools list members!
            > i feel free to combine the announcement of my new book about
            > panoramic photography with a big "thank you" to this list.
            > for more than one and a half year i worked on the most
            > comprehensive book in german language about digital panoramic
            > photography. currently it's reaching the book stores in germany,
            > austria and switzerland.
            > ...snip...
            > for some further information about the book i invite you to visit
            > the books companion website: http://panoramabuch.com
            > ...snip...
            > thomas bredenfeld
          • Paulo Fernandes
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
              I'll second that request for a English version ;)

              Congratulations, I took a look at the sample pages on amazon and the index
              (from what I could understand with my limited German) looks very detailed
              :)

              Although I see KRPano had a index entry but FPP didn't, it does show on the
              glossary
              tough ;)

              Keep us posted on how the sales go :)

              --
              Com os melhores cumprimentos,

              Paulo Fernandes
              Multimedia

              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
              Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
              Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
              4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
              Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
              :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

            • Trausti Hraunfjord
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
                Und Flashificator?

                :)

                Looks like a nice publication worth having.

                Trausti

                On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Paulo Fernandes <paulo.jf@...> wrote:

                > I'll second that request for a English version ;)
                >
                > Congratulations, I took a look at the sample pages on amazon and the index
                > (from what I could understand with my limited German) looks very detailed
                > :)
                >
                > Although I see KRPano had a index entry but FPP didn't, it does show on the
                > glossary
                > tough ;)
                >
                > Keep us posted on how the sales go :)
                >

                > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...<erik.leeman%40xs4all.nl>>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > Congratulations Thomas!
                > >
                > > It was nice meeting you in Prague
                > >
                > > Erik Leeman
                > >

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                > 40yahoogroups.com>, Thomas
                >
                > > Bredenfeld wrote:
                > > >
                > > > hi panotools list members!
                > > > i feel free to combine the announcement of my new book about
                > > > panoramic photography with a big "thank you" to this list.
                > > > for more than one and a half year i worked on the most
                > > > comprehensive book in german language about digital panoramic
                > > > photography. currently it's reaching the book stores in germany,
                > > > austria and switzerland.
                > > > ...snip...
                > >
                > > > for some further information about the book i invite you to visit
                > > > the books companion website: http://panoramabuch.com
                > > > ...snip...
                > > > thomas bredenfeld
                > >

                > --
                > Com os melhores cumprimentos,
                >
                > Paulo Fernandes
                > Multimedia
                >

                > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                > Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
                > Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
                > 4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
                > Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
                >
                > :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

              • Wim Koornneef
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
                  Hello Thomas,

                  Congratulations.
                  For sure your book is an impressive piece of creative hard labour ;-)
                  I hope that some day it will hit the shops in an English version.

                  All the best, see you in Plymouth,

                  Wim
                • Thomas Bredenfeld
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
                    @paulo: fpp is mentioned, but at the last three chapters we had to save
                    place due to a strictly limited number of pages in the book. i decided
                    to mention fpp, but not to go into details because it has quite similar
                    approach as krpano (fixed swf with xml-config-file).

                    @trausti: same reason for flashificator as an addon for fpp.

                    i'm planning to bring more additional content which hasn't found it's
                    way into the book on the book website as an extra feature for the book's
                    readers and to the visitors website. (and that's a lot of stuff ;-) )

                    so feel free to subscribe to the sites blog rss feed to be notified ;-)

                    @all with requests for an english version: i'm collecting it and I'll
                    tell the editor about it.

                    @all: thanks for all the positive replies!

                    thomas

                    Trausti Hraunfjord schrieb:

                    > Und Flashificator?
                    >
                    > :)
                    >
                    > Looks like a nice publication worth having.
                    >
                    > Trausti
                    >
                    > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Paulo Fernandes <paulo.jf@...
                    > <mailto:paulo.jf%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                    >

                    > > I'll second that request for a English version ;)
                    > >
                    > > Congratulations, I took a look at the sample pages on amazon and the
                    > > (from what I could understand with my limited German) looks very detailed
                    > > :)
                    > >
                    > > Although I see KRPano had a index entry but FPP didn't, it does show
                    > on the
                    > > glossary
                    > > tough ;)
                    > >
                    > > Keep us posted on how the sales go :)
                    > >

                    > > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:12 PM, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...
                    > <mailto:erik.leeman%40xs4all.nl><erik.leeman%40xs4all.nl>>
                    > > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Congratulations Thomas!
                    > > >
                    > > > It was nice meeting you in Prague
                    > > >
                    > > > Erik Leeman
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com><PanoToolsNG%
                    > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Thomas

                    > <http://panoramabuch.com>
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > Com os melhores cumprimentos,
                    > >
                    > > Paulo Fernandes
                    > > Multimedia
                    > >

                    > ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                    > > Go Go Pixel - Design, Fotografia e Multimédia
                    > > Calçada do Lidador, 22, 1ºAndar
                    > > 4480-690 Vila do Conde - Portugal
                    > > Tel. +351 252 119 375 - Fax. +351 252 119 375
                    > >

                    > :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

                  • panometr
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
                      Hi Thomas,

                      It is great to hear that your book is ready.
                      English version would be very appreciated.

                      There is also another new book on Amazon about panoramas.
                      It was finally added to Amazon 2 days ago:
                      'Mastering Digital Panoramic Photography'
                      ISBN-13: 978-1933952451
                      Link
                      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933952458/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p14_t1?\
                      pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A94XZGC3B7Q5SQ0P07R&pf_\
                      rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294>

                      This is an English version of a book that was published first in German.
                      Panoramaphotographie: Theorie und Praxis
                      Link
                      <http://www.amazon.de/Panoramafotografie-Theorie-Praxis-Harald-Woeste/dp\
                      /3898644405/ref=pd_sim_b_2>

                      Thomas, can you refer to Herald Woeste work? What he forgot to write
                      about? What is only in your book?

                      Which one do you recommend?
                      I will get both both books soon. :-)

                      Regards,
                      Karol

                    • Don Bain
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009

                        On the US Amazon site that would be: http://tinyurl.com/yagxvaw
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
                          "panometr" <k_kwiatek@...> wrote
                          > Thomas, can you refer to Herald Woeste work? What he forgot to write
                          > about? What is only in your book?

                          Harald asked me to proofread some chapters of his book. It has a totally
                          different approach than Thomas. He didn't want to write about specific
                          software but to describe general concepts and approaches in the first
                          part of his book (the one I proofread). The second part describes some
                          possible workflows using real life examples - again without paying much
                          attention to specific programs.

                          As far as I saw Thomas's approach is far more comprehensive but possibly
                          more short lived, too. I think both books have their justification.

                        • Thomas Bredenfeld
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 31, 2009
                            hi karol!

                            of course i cannot give a really neutral statement about a book written
                            by direct competitor and compare it to my own work ;-)

                            as erik pointed out, harald has a different approach. i tried to be much
                            more comprehensive and without the given page limit the book would have
                            been ended at 500+ pages ;-)

                            imho harald often stops before it get's interesting. the basic/historic
                            part is relatively long and on the opposite side the output in any
                            interactive manner (qtvr, flash etc.) is nearly completely omitted.

                            eric is righgt: unfortunatly short lifetime is the destiny of any book
                            about software. there's always a version dependency. i'm suffered from
                            that with my 3 photoshop books. but in case of panoramic software time's
                            running not that fast. to compensate this dependency i decided to setup
                            the website to keep my readers a little bit up to date about the things
                            written in the book.

                            thomas

                            panometr schrieb:

                            > Hi Thomas,
                            >
                            > It is great to hear that your book is ready.
                            > English version would be very appreciated.
                            >
                            > There is also another new book on Amazon about panoramas.
                            > It was finally added to Amazon 2 days ago:
                            > 'Mastering Digital Panoramic Photography'
                            > ISBN-13: 978-1933952451
                            > Link
                            > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933952458/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p14_t1?\
                            > pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A94XZGC3B7Q5SQ0P07R&pf_\
                            > rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294
                            > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1933952458/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p14_t1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1A94XZGC3B7Q5SQ0P07R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294>>
                            >
                            > This is an English version of a book that was published first in German.
                            > Panoramaphotographie: Theorie und Praxis
                            > Link
                            > <http://www.amazon.de/Panoramafotografie-Theorie-Praxis-Harald-Woeste/dp\
                            > /3898644405/ref=pd_sim_b_2
                            > <http://www.amazon.de/Panoramafotografie-Theorie-Praxis-Harald-Woeste/dp/3898644405/ref=pd_sim_b_2>>
                            >
                            > Thomas, can you refer to Herald Woeste work? What he forgot to write
                            > about? What is only in your book?
                            >
                            > Which one do you recommend?
                            > I will get both both books soon. :-)
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            > Karol

                          • luca vascon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                              YATTAAAAAAAAA!!!
                              It is here!!!
                              :0)
                              I want to order a signed copy, to treasure in my shelves!!!
                              One day I will write something too!!!

                              Luca Vascon.

                              www.canalview.it
                              www.officinepanottiche.com
                            • Thomas Bredenfeld
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 1, 2009
                                hi luca!

                                thanks for your post!

                                luca vascon schrieb:

                                > YATTAAAAAAAAA!!! It is here!!! :0) I want to order a signed copy, to
                                > treasure in my shelves!!!

                                did you mean you ordered one or did you mean me to send you one ;-)
                                (caution, it's in german! ;-) )

                                One day I will write something too!!!

                                oh yeah! what about? panoramic stuff too?

                                special thanks to you for connecting me with martino!

                                cheers
                                thomas