Re: Please give advice to a rookie, ME......

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009
      a panohead is very important. go to the hardware store, right away! you can
      make your own, it will work as well as something you pay hundreds of $ for.
      http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads#Self_made Because stitching software is so
      good, you only need to get the camera position correct - anything more is
      simply convenience, or showing off. (yes, both have their place)

      but hey - you don't need that or a tripod. all you need is a string and a
      weight
      http://www.philohome.com/tripod/shooting.htm
      the egyptians used it and they probably weren't the first ;) 18mm will make
      this harder - but for single row, with practice, shooting with enough light,
      it's better than a tripod for many reasons.

      for software, use Hugin, it's free. A bit clunky because the open source
      developers building it only have so much free time, and there aren't a huge
      amount of people developing it. But it's a great program.

      If you want really easy stitching, pay for ptgui (or try the free trial).
      Ptgui is fantastic.

      Many people prefer Autopano pro which is a very well made program; but the
      geekier types I guess prefer the really deep control you can get from ptgui.
      (This list is more biased towards ptgui in general)

      have fun, post some examples soon!

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      Re: Please give advice to a rookie, ME......
      Posted
      by: "Hans" hans@...
      <hans@...?Subject=+Re%3A%20Please%20give%20advice%20to%20a%20rookie%2C%20ME%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E%2E>
      panoramicsdk
      <http://profiles.yahoo.com/panoramicsdk> Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:24 am (PDT)

      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
      "janthorsoe" <janthorsoe@...> wrote:

      > Please can anyone recomend some great free tools for me to try as I am
      pretty new to this area, and do not want to spend money on something that I
      do not know how to measure against other products.

      > I have been looking for some stiching tools and some viewers, but frankly
      there is a lot of no good stuff here on the internet. I want to start out
      with what i got...a Canon 20D Digital SLR with 18 mm lens.

      > My aim is at some point to do full screen 360 VR shots of rooms.

      The first and most important is a panohead.
      You can do simple landscape panoramas without but for doing mor complex pano
      like interiors you need it especially if you want to do sphericals.