Optimal Cubeface Sizes and FOV. A demo with 5 sizes

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
      I have created a special demo showing the same panorama in sizes from 1280x1280 to 3500x3500.

      it is also a demo on the dynamic FOV you have with FPP which makes it possible to use a large FOV as default without getting the corners distorted at very wide displays.

      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/cubeface-sizes/

      Hans
    • ehut_2000
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
        Hans, I'm trying to contact you off-list, please check you spam folder.

        Thanks
      • erik_leeman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
          Hans, you may call me stupid if you like, but I really don't have a clue what "zoom=1" means in your demo.

          In the 1280 version (fullscreen) in the editor zoom=1 @ vFOV=74°, but your '1.0' button label tells us it zoom=1 @ 65°? I would expect the objects in the pano to be the same size as the 100% crop at zoom=1, but everything is much smaller. At zoom =1.19 and vFOV=65° in the editor the pano and image look equally large, but when I push the '1.0' button again the pano again shrinks to a smaller size. Strange...

          In the 2000 version (fullscreen) the pano and crop look equally large at zoom=1.83 and vFOV=45° in the editor, pushing the '1.0' button then zooms out to vFOV=74°, again not 65°.

          In the 2750 version (fullscreen) the pano and crop look equally large at zoom=2.5 and vFOV=34° in the editor, pushing the '1.0' button then zooms out to vFOV=74°, not 65°.

          What's the logic of your use of 'zoom=1' Hans? Sorry, I don't get it.

          Regards,

          Erik Leeman

          (www.erikleeman.com)

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" wrote:

          > I have created a special demo showing the same panorama in sizes
          > from 1280x1280 to 3500x3500.
          >
          > it is also a demo on the dynamic FOV you have with FPP which makes
          > it possible to use a large FOV as default without getting the
          > corners distorted at very wide displays.
          >
          > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/cubeface-sizes/
          >
          > Hans
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

            > Hans, you may call me stupid if you like, but I really don't have a clue what "zoom=1" means in your demo.
            >
            > In the 1280 version (fullscreen) in the editor zoom=1 @ vFOV=74°, but your '1.0' button label tells us it zoom=1 @ 65°? I would expect the objects in the pano to be the same size as the 100% crop at zoom=1, but everything is much smaller. At zoom =1.19 and vFOV=65° in the editor the pano and image look equally large, but when I push the '1.0' button again the pano again shrinks to a smaller size. Strange...
            >
            > In the 2000 version (fullscreen) the pano and crop look equally large at zoom=1.83 and vFOV=45° in the editor, pushing the '1.0' button then zooms out to vFOV=74°, again not 65°.
            >
            > In the 2750 version (fullscreen) the pano and crop look equally large at zoom=2.5 and vFOV=34° in the editor, pushing the '1.0' button then zooms out to vFOV=74°, not 65°.
            >
            > What's the logic of your use of 'zoom=1' Hans? Sorry, I don't get it.

            Erik
            Have you not used FPP.?

            I have not created the zoom levels used by FPP. ZOOM 1.0 is just a parameter used by FPP as default which represents an normal view which Denis (and most VR Photographers ) always used as a general setting for VR Panoramas.

            Read the text on the introduction info, I clearly say that the editor does not update dynamically. You can not just push my buttons and read the same setting in the editor.
            The editor shows you the settings from the XML until you change them in the editor.
            At any view and any proportions of the pano you can adjust one of the parameters to zoom in and out and the 2 other parameters will adjust.

            Hans
          • erik_leeman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
              I bought a licence and did use FPP for a while, then came Pano2VR.

              I also read your instructions (not very true to form for a guy with a technical profession), and I DID use the editor for adjusting the settings. How else could I read and quote its settings?

              Denis' "normal view" has no meaning for me, can you tell me what it is?
              For me 'zoom' equals 1 when I am looking at the actual pixels without scaling. That is what seems logical to me. Most VR Photographers and Denis apparently use a different definition, so it must be me who is the clueless one.

              Regards,

              Erik Leeman

              (www.erikleeman.com)

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" wrote:
              > Erik
              > Have you not used FPP.?
              >
              > I have not created the zoom levels used by FPP. ZOOM 1.0 is just a
              > parameter used by FPP as default which represents an normal view
              > which Denis (and most VR Photographers ) always used as a general
              > setting for VR Panoramas.
              >
              > Read the text on the introduction info, I clearly say that the
              > editor does not update dynamically. You can not just push my
              > buttons and read the same setting in the editor.
              > The editor shows you the settings from the XML until you change
              > them in the editor.
              > At any view and any proportions of the pano you can adjust one of
              > the parameters to zoom in and out and the 2 other parameters will
              > adjust.
              >
              > Hans
            • Hans
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 30, 2009

                > I have created a special demo showing the same panorama in sizes from 1280x1280 to 3500x3500.
                >
                > it is also a demo on the dynamic FOV you have with FPP which makes it possible to use a large FOV as default without getting the corners distorted at very wide displays.
                >
                > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/cubeface-sizes/

                The page has now been updated. You can now pan and zoom in at any direction , load another resolution and it will update in exactly the same zoom/direction.
                Also added one more fast zoom level button for easy zoom in to the largest size full resolution.