ot: ssd

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
      I'm lost in the reviews and specs of SSD's :-O

      1. it seemed that crucial was the best price/performance

      2. then yesterday, intel released a firmware upgrade for their 160gb (NOT
      the 80gb which is slow and nasty already, it seems) which makes it write
      about 25% faster.
      http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/26/intels-ssd-toolbox-firmware-update-promise-boost-in-performan/

      3. also, i'm a bit confused. i want ssd's for my desktop not notebook. but
      it seems all ssd's are 2.5" not 3.5" - so you simply use a 2.5 - 3.5
      adapter, or what?

      4. finally, is 4 ssd's in raid 0 overkill? or would it saturate the raid
      card and be a waste of money? does it require a constant backup the way a
      mechanical raid0 does, or is it not such a big deal (note: backups are
      ALWAYS necessary - but you know what I mean, I hope....) is 2 ssd raid0
      enough?

      (as for usage, I would like this more for gigapixel work (stitching in ptgui
      and editing in photoshop) than fisheye sphericals - those already stitch
      "fast enough" in RAM.)

      help, aaaachh! :-)))

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

    • luca vascon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
        http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/

        :-)
        And then.,,, sata drives have the same cable format. You can buy supermicro
        and chieftec backplanes holding till 7 of those 2.5" format.
        Remember to put them in a vented place...

        2009/10/27 Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <360cities@...>

        > I'm lost in the reviews and specs of SSD's :-O
        >
        > 1. it seemed that crucial was the best price/performance
        > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001304.html
        >
        > 2. then yesterday, intel released a firmware upgrade for their 160gb (NOT
        > the 80gb which is slow and nasty already, it seems) which makes it write
        > about 25% faster.
        >
        > http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/26/intels-ssd-toolbox-firmware-update-promise-boost-in-performan/
        >
        > 3. also, i'm a bit confused. i want ssd's for my desktop not notebook. but
        > it seems all ssd's are 2.5" not 3.5" - so you simply use a 2.5 - 3.5
        > adapter, or what?
        >
        > 4. finally, is 4 ssd's in raid 0 overkill? or would it saturate the raid
        > card and be a waste of money? does it require a constant backup the way a
        > mechanical raid0 does, or is it not such a big deal (note: backups are
        > ALWAYS necessary - but you know what I mean, I hope....) is 2 ssd raid0
        > enough?
        >
        > (as for usage, I would like this more for gigapixel work (stitching in
        > ptgui
        > and editing in photoshop) than fisheye sphericals - those already stitch
        > "fast enough" in RAM.)
        >

        > help, aaaachh! :-)))
        >

        > Jeffrey Martin
        > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
        > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

        Luca Vascon.

        www.canalview.it
        www.officinepanottiche.com

      • robert_harshman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...> wrote:

          > 2. then yesterday, intel released a firmware upgrade for their 160gb (NOT the 80gb which is slow and nasty already, it seems) which makes it write about 25% faster.

          Update and toolkit are noted for all intel SSDs, even first gen. However, the firmware patch seems to have been pulled already, perhaps a nasty bug was found. Too bad been waiting for this as it should keep these devices humming.

          > 3. also, i'm a bit confused. i want ssd's for my desktop not notebook. but it seems all ssd's are 2.5" not 3.5" - so you simply use a 2.5 - 3.5 adapter,

          YES

          > 4. finally, is 4 ssd's in raid 0 overkill? or would it saturate the raid card and be a waste of money?

          doubt if it would, depends on the setup/card obviously.

          > (as for usage, I would like this more for gigapixel work (stitching in ptgui

          Not sure if SSD's really help much now that PTGui 8.3 has come along. With the change to large writes, Joost has changed the way stitching performance is impacted by SSD's. I think RAID 0 has now become the key factor for sustained large write speed. the biggest benefit from SSD's is in the bascially .1 ms random reads - typically a factor of 10 times faster than any HDD yet.

          For megapixel or really large stitching I think there is more to come from optimization in PTGUI. The input file size in Pixels seems to be a real bottle neck of some sort. At least I've seen my system blaze through the gigapixel test - about 20 minutes- (using the 6 megapixel files provided) and then choke so to speak on a 11,000 by 5,500 EQ output produced from 32 15 megapixel files - takes 35 minutes. A gigapixel project with input files this large results in hours to stitch.

          So, are relatively inexpensive midrange SSD's worth it, absolutely for the system and program drive(s). For swap, maybe for many applications, but with PTgui 8.3, I'm not sure anymore. Raid 0 with traditional HDD's may be just about as good and a heck of a lot cheaper.

          note, the really expensive SSD's will make a huge difference as noted months ago by someone, but those are still thousands of $.

          Regards,

          Robert
        • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
            thanks luca,

            i looked at hyperos but i'm not so hot on the idea. seems a bit volatile for
            my taste. also,
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134835
            4gb ram is $120 so i'm not really into spending $12000 on 400gb ram disk.
            although that would be pretty kick-ass ;-)))

            Thanks Robert harshman for the info about ptgui 8.3 - I wonder if joost or
            anyone else has more concrete info on this very interesting development. The
            difference between a 4 or even 8 disk raid0 and ssd raid0 is staggering, and
            truth be told my future computer configurations depend largely on the
            performance of ptgui, much more than even photoshop.

            still it seems that an SSD for the OS - windows 7 with TRIM seems to have a
            huge advantage over any other os (mac included? correct me if i'm wrong)

            thanks,
            Jeffrey

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
              You can convince OS to page file on ram HD and ptgui to use it as
              scratchdisk.
              No need to leave things on that.
              I'd add a simple script to remove immediately the final file and put it on a
              raid1 array ;-)
              So you copy image to bie stitched in ramdisk, run ptgui, and remove final
              image.
              Ramdisk will be always empty...

              2009/10/29 Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net <360cities@...>

              > thanks luca,
              >
              > i looked at hyperos but i'm not so hot on the idea. seems a bit volatile
              > for
              > my taste. also,
              > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134835
              > 4gb<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134835%0A4gb>ram is $120 so i'm not really into spending $12000 on 400gb ram disk.
              > although that would be pretty kick-ass ;-)))
              >
              > Thanks Robert harshman for the info about ptgui 8.3 - I wonder if joost or
              > anyone else has more concrete info on this very interesting development.
              > The
              > difference between a 4 or even 8 disk raid0 and ssd raid0 is staggering,
              > and
              > truth be told my future computer configurations depend largely on the
              > performance of ptgui, much more than even photoshop.
              >
              > still it seems that an SSD for the OS - windows 7 with TRIM seems to have a
              > huge advantage over any other os (mac included? correct me if i'm wrong)
              >
              > thanks,
              > Jeffrey
              >

              > Jeffrey Martin
              > www.360cities.net - The World in Virtual Reality
              > tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

              Luca Vascon.

              www.canalview.it
              www.officinepanottiche.com

            • Joergen Geerds
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 29, 2009
                hi jeffrey,
                barefeats has usually pretty good numbers on performance:http://www.barefeats.com/hard128.html

                i am still not 100% convinced about SSDs, while they give you an awfully nice performance, they don't seems to last really long yet (at least for the money we're paying for them).
                the recent ptgui updates should give you already a much faster throughput.
                joergen