Pano with Powerpoint

  • Flemming V. Larsen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
      I know this has been on the list before.
      But things might have change since then (new panoplayers etc.) So I like to
      know the current options.
      I'm looking for the simplest way. iF possible without using apecial software
      not found on standard PC/MAC

      best regard
      Flemming
    • 1drey
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
        Hi Flemming,

        Seems that this question is tabooed here - I asked it a month ago and didn't get any responce :)

        Andrey

        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Flemming V. Larsen" <fvl@...> wrote:

        > I know this has been on the list before.
        > But things might have change since then (new panoplayers etc.) So I like to
        > know the current options.
        > I'm looking for the simplest way. iF possible without using apecial software
        > not found on standard PC/MAC
        >
        > best regard
        > Flemming

      • Keith Martin
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
          Sometime around 26/10/09 (at 19:22 +0000) 1drey said:

          >Seems that this question is tabooed here - I asked it a month ago
          >and didn't get any responce :)

          Not taboo to my knowledge - but perhaps nobody has an answer! That's
          usually what 'no answer' means... ;-)

          PowerPoint isn't great for this. You can insert a QuickTime VR
          panorama but it may not work properly across platforms even if
          QuickTime is installed. You can't insert a Flash-based .swf panorama.
          Basically, PowerPoint is a bad, bad choice. Why this software?

        • Roger Howard
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
            First, it really depends on the platform - PowerPoint presentations
            with embedded media aren't inherently cross-platform. It's common, for
            instance, to see PowerPoints developed on a Mac have lots of empty
            white boxes on Windows; the opposite can be true, too. So if you're
            authoring for PowerPoint, always author on the platform you intend for
            playback *or* stick to only cross-platform features.

            It also depends on the version, and (I believe) on the Windows build
            you're running on - for instance, it used to be possible to use the
            Internet Explorer browser ActiveX control in PowerPoint on Windows, so
            you could embed a Web page - which allowed you ugly (but useful) hacks
            like embedding a Quicktime or Flash object in a Web page, and then
            embedding that page in PowerPoint - this no longer works, at least not
            on my work machine (XP SP3, Office 2007, IE8).

            Embedding Quicktime content directly in PowerPoint on Windows never
            worked (though there were a few legacy Quicktime video formats which
            worked, but only by accident as Windows Media Player was able to
            decode them - not the case with QTVR content, or really any modern
            video formats).

            Embedding Flash in PowerPoint has always been dicey, at best. The best
            I can come up with, right now, is a really ugly hack - embed your SWF
            in a PDF, and then embed the PDF in a PPT. Should work, but probably
            not well. Certainly a lot of trouble - if I went this, route, I'd just
            build my presentation in PDF to begin with (recent Adobe Readers and
            Acrobat have embedded SWF support, though I've never tried this with
            SWF panos it should work).

            Also, even if you could get this to work, much as with Keynote and
            QTVR there's an interaction problem kind of inherent to the media -
            PowerPoint tends to want to capture your clicks, so it doesn't lend
            itself well to supporting embedded media that also wants to capture
            clicks (such as for panning a pano).

            Sorry couldn't be more help - I'm not (entirely) a PowerPoint hater, I
            live with it, but it's just not geared for this. Ugly hacks may still
            allow it, but they are always that - they tend to be very fragile,
            especially across versions and platforms. A Web-based presentation may
            prove far easier.

            You can *always* link out to a Web page from a PowerPoint slide if you
            just have a few instances where you need Flash/Quicktime and are happy
            with PowerPoint for the rest - this is easy enough, and other than the
            slight loss of immersion when you switch between apps works just fine.

            -R
          • panovrx
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
              Maybe you can insert a htm with a Flash panorama in it -- as an ActiveX control on Windows
              .. or Spi-V maybe

              Peter M

              > Sometime around 26/10/09 (at 19:22 +0000) 1drey said:
              >
              > >Seems that this question is tabooed here - I asked it a month ago
              > >and didn't get any responce :)
              >
              > Not taboo to my knowledge - but perhaps nobody has an answer! That's
              > usually what 'no answer' means... ;-)
              >
              > PowerPoint isn't great for this. You can insert a QuickTime VR
              > panorama but it may not work properly across platforms even if
              > QuickTime is installed. You can't insert a Flash-based .swf panorama.
              > Basically, PowerPoint is a bad, bad choice. Why this software?

            • Richard
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 26, 2009
                In os x, just use the insert mov. comand for your panorama.
                check out: http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/ppqtvr.html
                Richard