Extracted views -- when fisheye is useful for retouching

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2009
      A tip about when fisheye extracted views are useful for retouching:

      Here is a pano from this morning
      http://www.mediavr.com/cravebridge09.htm
      of a large picnic on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The roadway was turfed for the occasion (with real grass). Color wise I had a couple of issues with the sky and the grass viz. they were too saturated (but the rest of the scene was ok).

      If I tried to retouch the equirectangular stitch directly I would have problems with the wrap and the zenith and it is hard to visualise the end result in the viewer. If I extracted rectilinears they wouldnt cover a wide enough area. So here I extracted very wide (200 degrees) circular fisheye views -- one up, one down. The down one looks like this
      http://www.mediavr.com/bridgedownfish.jpg

      You can see that it is simple here to make a circular selection, feather it and adjust the green saturation over the complete area of the bridge deck and also get a good preview of the end result in the pano view.

      Of course you need to make a large pixel size extracted view if you are generating such a wide angle view if you are not to loose detail after you reinsert it.

      Peter M
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2009
        I like the bold colors. They counterpoint the gray's of the city.

        But an interesting technique that I will store for future use.

      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 2009
          Quoting panovrx <panovrx@...>:

          > Here is a pano from this morning
          > http://www.mediavr.com/cravebridge09.htm
          if this is to be an annual event will they call it cows' week ?

          mick

        • RobLee
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 25, 2009
            whyare these people on the bridge? what's the occasion?

            RobLee

[...]

          • Richard C. Gillespie
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 25, 2009
              In the US the news this morning, it reported there were 6,000 + people
              there.
              Way cool!!
              So how did you get above all the people?
              I see some are looking up, I assume, at you.
              Great shot!
              Richard
              ps what lens did you use?

              > A tip about when fisheye extracted views are useful for retouching:
              >
              > Here is a pano from this morning
              > http://www.mediavr.com/cravebridge09.htm
              > of a large picnic on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The roadway was
              > turfed for the occasion (with real grass). Color wise I had a couple
              > of issues with the sky and the grass viz. they were too saturated
              > (but the rest of the scene was ok).
              >
              > If I tried to retouch the equirectangular stitch directly I would
              > have problems with the wrap and the zenith and it is hard to
              > visualise the end result in the viewer. If I extracted rectilinears
              > they wouldnt cover a wide enough area. So here I extracted very wide
              > (200 degrees) circular fisheye views -- one up, one down. The down
              > one looks like this
              > http://www.mediavr.com/bridgedownfish.jpg
              >
              > You can see that it is simple here to make a circular selection,
              > feather it and adjust the green saturation over the complete area of
              > the bridge deck and also get a good preview of the end result in the
              > pano view.
              >
              > Of course you need to make a large pixel size extracted view if you
              > are generating such a wide angle view if you are not to loose detail
              > after you reinsert it.
              >
              > Peter M

            • Bernhard Vogl
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 25, 2009
                Very nice, Peter!
                There even was a short feature on Austrian TV this evening about this
                event...
                > http://www.mediavr.com/cravebridge09.htm

              • Andras Frenyo
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 25, 2009
                  Just a thought:

                  Could it work to create multiple layers of the equirectangular in a
                  photoshop file and adjust the colors individually for them, then blend
                  them with a feathered brush? You can work the edges either by working
                  on a double width twin set of the equirectangulars or by offsetting
                  them and repeat adjustments via a recorded action, again, on multiple
                  layers?

                  Or stitch a couple of panoramas, as you would for multiple exposures
                  with multiple color settings (from RAW) instead, and once again, blend
                  on layers?

                  You could then perhaps use a photoshop compatible panorama viewer
                  (without leaving photoshop and your work) to instantly check your
                  panorama through either of those approaches.

                  I am bringing this up, because, (not so much my mac, but) my pc often
                  has given me memory problems when extracting large views in photoshop,
                  having forced me to do it via the command line.

                  On Oct 25, 2009, at 4:52 AM, PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                  > Extracted views -- when fisheye is useful for retouching
                  > Posted by: "panovrx" panovrx@... panovrx
                  > Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:24 pm (PDT)
                  >

                  > A tip about when fisheye extracted views are useful for retouching:
                  >
                  > Here is a pano from this morning
                  > http://www.mediavr.com/cravebridge09.htm
                  > of a large picnic on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The roadway was
                  > turfed for the occasion (with real grass). Color wise I had a couple
                  > of issues with the sky and the grass viz. they were too saturated
                  > (but the rest of the scene was ok).
                  >
                  > If I tried to retouch the equirectangular stitch directly I would
                  > have problems with the wrap and the zenith and it is hard to
                  > visualise the end result in the viewer. If I extracted rectilinears
                  > they wouldnt cover a wide enough area. So here I extracted very wide
                  > (200 degrees) circular fisheye views -- one up, one down. The down
                  > one looks like this
                  > http://www.mediavr.com/bridgedownfish.jpg
                  >
                  > You can see that it is simple here to make a circular selection,
                  > feather it and adjust the green saturation over the complete area of
                  > the bridge deck and also get a good preview of the end result in the
                  > pano view.
                  >
                  > Of course you need to make a large pixel size extracted view if you
                  > are generating such a wide angle view if you are not to loose detail
                  > after you reinsert it.
                  >
                  > Peter M

                • scherrerjeanpierre
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 26, 2009
                    GREAT pano ! It must have been quite a job to retouch the ghosts, with so many people -moving I assume- in this place !?!

                    One -silly perhaps- question: how exactly did you do to extract the lower part of your pano IN A CIRCLE ?

                    TIA for detailed explanation...

                    J-P.
                    J-P. Scherrer - Geneva (SWITZERLAND)
                    Photos: http://www.pbase.com/scherrer/