30 stitchless handhelded panos (also on Panoguide)

  • dorindxn
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 19, 2009
      Hi list, I made a test serie of 30 stitchless (live) handhelded panos to check if and how it is possible.
      By coincidence, or not ;) , that Expo is called "Handmade" so here is the "Handmade" contribution of mine :o)

      http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/HandMade/flash.html

      please be kind and ignore or excuse the noise.

      thank you for reading,
      Dorin
    • Roger D. Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 19, 2009
        Well, you certainly proved it was possible. I occasionally see a
        black area at the edge of the screen when panning around, Can
        that be eliminated?

        Roger W.

        On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:04:31 +0900, dorindxn <Dorin@...> wrote:

        > Hi list, I made a test serie of 30 stitchless (live) handhelded panos to
        > check if and how it is possible.
        > By coincidence, or not ;) , that Expo is called "Handmade" so here is
        > the "Handmade" contribution of mine :o)
        >
        > http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/HandMade/flash.html
        >
        > please be kind and ignore or excuse the noise.
        >
        > thank you for reading,
        > Dorin

        Business: www.adex-japan.com
        Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
      • dorindxn
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 19, 2009
          Hi Roger, yes that can be very much reduced using three ways, both on shooting and producing/publishing stage, the next test will be with little black as posible, as were couple of them even in this one.

          The up/down black areas are due to my crop camera, if using full frame camera, with sigma 8mm, the circle is complete and the black areas will be further more reduced even left-right

          thanks for the interest,
          Dorin

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 19, 2009
            Sorry, I forgot to add that there is also a 4th way to reduce those black areas if using a camera with liveview feature.

            Dorin

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
              Hi Roger,
              About one week after the previous, with better results
              http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/fotovest24oct09/

              There are also some experiments b/w but please pay attention to the alignament of the background, again handhelded.

              Dorin

              > Well, you certainly proved it was possible. I occasionally see a
              > black area at the edge of the screen when panning around, Can
              > that be eliminated?
              >
              > Roger W.
              >

              > On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:04:31 +0900, dorindxn <Dorin@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi list, I made a test serie of 30 stitchless (live) handhelded panos to
              > > check if and how it is possible.
              > > By coincidence, or not ;) , that Expo is called "Handmade" so here is
              > > the "Handmade" contribution of mine :o)
              > >
              > > http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/HandMade/flash.html
              > >
              > > please be kind and ignore or excuse the noise.
              > >
              > > thank you for reading,
              > > Dorin

              > Business: www.adex-japan.com
              > Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

            • RobLee
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
                it's beautiful.
                where is this place?

                RobLee

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Hi RobLee
                  Is in Timisoara, Romania, Europe where PanoTools Meeting took place this year.
                  About the places featured in this last serie here is a high resolution panorama of the square
                  http://dorin.europhoto.ro/dxn_pano/PtaUnirii/pano.html

                  thanks for the interest,
                  Dorin

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
                    On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:41:47 +0900, dorindxn <Dorin@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Roger,
                    > About one week after the previous, with better results
                    > http://www.livepanoramas.com/event/fotovest24oct09/

                    Thanks for drawing my attention to these newer results. (I notice
                    they are all B&W). The accuracy of the background matching is
                    amazing for hand-held shots. I am also getting used to the sudden
                    "jump" as people change position. The steadiness of the background
                    help to make the sudden movements somehow more acceptable.

                    > There are also some experiments b/w but please pay attention to the
                    > alignament of the background, again handhelded.

                    Yes, very impressive. The only place where I notice a rather
                    distracting change from one shot to the next is in the paving
                    stones, where the different angle also produces rather different
                    lighting effects.

                    Thanks again, and for the offer to stitch five panos using this
                    technique. Most of my panos these days are taken hand-held on a
                    monopod, but I don't think the alignment from shot-to-shot would
                    be good enough for this technique to work...

                    Roger W.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 27, 2009
                      Hi Roger, will be much to say about the alignament but, in short if you have 6 photos around taked as usual from your monopod with a lens which make a full circle on the sensor or if on crop with camera in landscape orientation and can make them available for download privatelly you can find out very soon if is good enough, regardless in seemengly lack of interes in this new technology I can teach any photographer to take the shoots for such panos in a workshop but my intuition tells that you have that technique already good enough, the rest is my method.
                      The result I'll send you back privatelly and no need to publish anything at all by you or me. Also for this test/confirmation you don't need to register on livepanoramas.com

                      Sorry for my English. Please don't hesitate to ask for more info or for better English if you want,

                      Dorin

                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 28, 2009
                        Hi Roger, I tried to reply at your message received on my e-mail address about the photos but my messages keeps rejected (#5.3.0)
                        If it's ok with you I can respond here.

                        Dorin