Odd question about making cube faces with Pano2QTVR

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 11, 2009
      I'm fiddling around with OpenGL and I'm using an equirectangular made by PTGui
      and using Pano2QTVR to generate the cube faces.

      When I put them into a cube face viewer, I see the seams of the cube -- where the cube
      faces connect.

      Questions: Does Pano2QTVR make cube faces that match at the edges?

      Do I need to use a specific interpolator? Pano2QTVR has a bunch of interpolators.

      Which would be the best interpolator to use? Is it something I'm doing wrong when
      I generate the cube faces that cause the seam?

      I'm asking this question because I'm just figuring out OpenGL and how it puts cube
      faces together. It's probably something I'm doing wrong when I initialize the viewer.
      But hopefully someone of you will have some insight that can put me on track.

      Question: Is there a better cube face generator that is free?
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 11, 2009
        ...uhh.. I got Watters 2007 version of panotools.

        http://photocreations.ca/panotools/

        Tried to run the cubefaces script using the PTStitcher that came with that version
        of panotools. When I run it, it says that it can't open the file.

        It's a tif file -- nothing wrong with it.

        Does panotools run on Vista 64? Does Jim Watter's version run on Vista 64?
        Is there a better version of panotools?

        By the way, I changed the size of the cube I was using in OpenGL
        to make the cube faces smaller so that the cube faces I generated
        with Pano2QTVR would overlap more and the seams go away.

        So I think there is something odd with the edges of the cubefaces generated
        from Pano2QTVR. I'm probably looking at the problem wrong....

      • PanoToolsNG.10.m8@spamgourmet.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 11, 2009
            Hi Ken,

            Do you mean that you are programming a cubic viewer with OpenGL?
            If yes, you should use this code to avoid edges (this is C language):

            if (CheckExtension("GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp") || CheckExtension("GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp"))
            {
            glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
            glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
            }

            regards!
            fiero

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 11, 2009
              Thanks Fiero. What I'm doing is using the JavaScript interface to OpenGL ES 2.
              I did some OpenGL 1.0 about 12-14 years ago. I've forgotten a lot.

              I'm using Canvas3D plugin for FF3.x.x. It works great! Not much JavaScript either.
              The JS interface has it's own quirks I think. I've just started working with it.

              You probably are more up to date on this stuff than I am....

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 11, 2009
                Sorry, I'm unable to test in 64bit.
                There are other, more knowledgeable people on this group, that would be able
                to give a more informed answer to that one.

                Good luck,
                Darren.

[...]
                )PanoToolsNG.10.m8@... wrote:
                )> Hi Ken,
                )>
                )> Erik has a nice batch file that will extract cube faces from an
                )> equirectangular using PTStitcher.
                )>
                )> Can be found here:
                )> http://www.erik-krause.de/ttt/index.htm
                )> Under Windows Batch files.
                )>
                )> Cheers,
                )> Darren.
                )>
                )> )I'm fiddling around with OpenGL and I'm using an
                )> )equirectangular made by PTGui and using Pano2QTVR to generate
                )> )the cube faces.
                )> )
[...]
              • erik_leeman
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 12, 2009
                  Hi Ken, great to hear you are working on this!
                  WebGL could well prove to be the ultimate tool for publishing our work.
                  It's success would certainly depend on possibilities for us to build interfaces, add metadata, mix different media, etc etc. like we can do now in Flash...or DevalVR.
                  I'd guess Fiero must be THE authority when it comes to using OpenGL for spherical/cubical images. A WebGL version of DevalVR.....now THAT would be something!

                  Your Pano2QTVR cubefaces should be fine, I still use Pano2QTVR (pro) to generate all my cubefaces, with no problems of seams showing. Making the cube slightly smaller than the cubefaces sounds like a legitimate trick. I think I remember Thomas mentioning a long time ago that he did that too. It is also what you do when building a 3D 'CubeWorld' in AfterEffects.

                  Cheers!

                  Erik Leeman

                  (www.erikleeman.com)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 12, 2009
                    Building a cubeface viewer is almost trivial with OpenGL. Cylindricals will
                    be a little harder and equirectangulars will be even more complicated but
                    still not as hard as the way I did my Java viewer.

                    The problem I see with OpenGL is that there won't be all the nice tour building
                    tools like there is for Flash now -- you know all those buttons, hotspot and effects
                    that seem to be easy with Flash. Those kinds of tools will take a while to appear so
                    that non-programmers can build tours.

                    And as for DevalVR being ported to WebGL -- that probably won't be very hard. But I
                    shouldn't speak for Fiero.

                    WebGL looks to me like it's going to take about a year or so to be widely available.
                    Time flies when you are having fun though...

                    Oh yes, I'm an expert on WebGL -- after all, I've been working with it for almost
                    two days now :-)

                    Ken

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 12, 2009
                      I should clarify something. I'm actually working with Canvas3D. Both WebGL and Canvas3D
                      use a JavaScript binding to OpenGL but they are slightly different so programs written
                      for one don't seem to run in the other. Neither one is well documented yet but the
                      JavaScript binding to OpenGL for Canvas3D is available for download and inspection
                      whereas WebGL is still sort of mysterious. I understand that WebGL is being built
                      into WebKit which I read is used in FireFox, Safari and Chrome.

                      I wonder if IE will ever have WebGL now that Microsoft has launched Silverlight?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 12, 2009

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 13, 2009
                          Hey Fiero -- that worked nicely. No seams!!!

                          Just a little trial and error to find the right spelling. For the JavaScript
                          interface it's spelled like:

                          glCanvas3D.texParameter(glCanvas3D.TEXTURE_2D, glCanvas3D.TEXTURE_WRAP_S, glCanvas3D.CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
                          glCanvas3D.texParameter(glCanvas3D.TEXTURE_2D, glCanvas3D.TEXTURE_WRAP_T, glCanvas3D.CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

                          Only took about 17 times trying different spellings but it works!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 14, 2009
                            Great! :-)