Re: making 'mural' panos

  • guillaume_fulchiron
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2009
      "matt_nolan_uaf" <web@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Guillaume, this seems like the right track to me. Unless the buildings are arranged in a circle, I dont see how the perspective of looking straight into the balconies could be maintained without moving the tripod, which is what I am after for my project.

      No, buildings are straight. So monopod (in my case) has to be moved along the buildings keeping the same distance between camera and walls. You'll find some explanation here :
      http://www.dojoe.net/tutorials/linear-pano/

      > I tried a trick with stitching vertical air photos together from a moving airplane where I set the fov to 1 degree, tricking the stitcher into thinking the panorama was only 10 degrees wide, allowing a flat projection.

      I think I remenber it, wasn't a panorama of a flood around a river ? I forgot the link.
      Did you try this software ?
      http://regima.dpi.inpe.br/

      > Do you do something similar here? Any tips would be appreciated.

      No I don't. I think simulating FOV of a long telephoto lens could work only if your subject isn't too long.

      I didn't find any automatic stitching software yet.
      Hugin might be worth a try.
      Perspective and barrel distortion are corrected with PTgui then each image is stitched manually with Photoshop, which is very time consuming (winter time must be quite long upthere in Alaska, right ? ;-)

      How long is the tunnel you want to record ?

      The results are beautiful.

      Thanks !

      Here's an interesting paper about this concept of multi viewpoint panorama :
      http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/cohen/LongThings.pdf

      And here's a 20th century work from Michael Westmoreland I recently discovered during a panorama exhibition :
      http://www.invisiblephotography.com/realities1.htm
      Website index is here :
      http://www.invisiblephotography.com/

      BTW the mural painting link from Ken Turkowsky I gave you in my previous post was shot in 1995 not in early 2000's.
      http://www.worldserver.com/turk/quicktimevr/AbessesAscend.html

      Hope it helps,

      G.