Re: JavaScript-only panorama player

  • cheathamlane_360
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2009

      > Darn... I seem to get into trouble at whatever I do.
      >
      > "Canvas 3D (Gecko 1.9.1)0.4.3 could not be installed because it is not
      > compatible with Firefox 3.5.3."
      >
      > Resulting in:
      >
      > 17:46:46 Warning: Scene::createScene() Renderer failed to initialize.
      > Images © Patrick Cheatham
      >
      > So it was a no go.

      Works fine here! ...On both my Macbook & Mac Pro machines. Here's what the 'about ff' dialog tells me:

      --
      Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
      --

      You might try downloading the add on from:

      https://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/canvas3d/

      Otherwise, don't know what to tell you.

      > My absolute favorite player in terms of interaction, is Spi-V. It is
      > incredibly smooth and nice, but the bad thing about it is that it is not
      > compatible with Mac's,

      What do you mean? I can view Shockwave/Spi-V content just fine on a Mac. I've never had an issue with either running on a Mac.

      Patrick
    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2009
        It does display on Mac? Sorry for my complete ignorance (not using a Mac...
        like a true moron). Am I confusing it with Deval?

        I'm looking forward to test your creation Patrick (with all good intents :)
        ), but it has to wait a couple of hours due to ongoing work-tests...

        On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM, cheathamlane_360
        <patrick@...>wrote:

        > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Darn... I seem to get into trouble at whatever I do.
        > >
        > > "Canvas 3D (Gecko 1.9.1)0.4.3 could not be installed because it is not
        > > compatible with Firefox 3.5.3."
        > >
        > > Resulting in:
        > >
        > > 17:46:46 Warning: Scene::createScene() Renderer failed to initialize.
        > > Images © Patrick Cheatham
        > >
        > > So it was a no go.
        >
        > Works fine here! ...On both my Macbook & Mac Pro machines. Here's what the
        > 'about ff' dialog tells me:
        >
        > --
        > Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3)
        > Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
        > --
        >
        > You might try downloading the add on from:
        >
        > https://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/canvas3d/<https://people.mozilla.com/%7Evladimir/canvas3d/>
        >
        > Otherwise, don't know what to tell you.
        >
        > > My absolute favorite player in terms of interaction, is Spi-V. It is
        > > incredibly smooth and nice, but the bad thing about it is that it is not
        > > compatible with Mac's,
        >
        > What do you mean? I can view Shockwave/Spi-V content just fine on a Mac.
        > I've never had an issue with either running on a Mac.
        >
        > Patrick

      • Ian Wood
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009
          On 4 Oct 2009, at 00:16, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

          > It does display on Mac? Sorry for my complete ignorance (not using
          > a Mac...
          > like a true moron). Am I confusing it with Deval?

          Sounds like it. SPi-V has worked well on Macs for *years* now, apart
          from a hiccup when the Intel Macs came out and Adobe took awhile to
          release a native version of the ShockWave plugin.

          Ian
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

            > On 4 Oct 2009, at 00:16, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
            >
            > > It does display on Mac? Sorry for my complete ignorance (not using
            > > a Mac...
            > > like a true moron). Am I confusing it with Deval?
            >
            > Sounds like it. SPi-V has worked well on Macs for *years* now, apart
            > from a hiccup when the Intel Macs came out and Adobe took awhile to
            > release a native version of the ShockWave plugin.

            Next hiccup has started,
            http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486003

            Hans
          • Harry van der Wolf
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009
              2009/10/3 cheathamlane_360 <patrick@...>

              > I contacted the developer who had posted the youtube video demo-ing the
              > Javascript panorama. After a little tweaking of his source code, I was able
              > to give it more of a fluid 'velocity driven' mouse interaction. The pan/tilt
              > isn't perfect, but this is just some quick playing around -- the potentials
              > are awesome.
              >
              > You'll need Firefox v3.5.3+ and the Canvas3D extension/addon for FF
              > ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7171 ), and if on Mac an
              > Intel machine.
              >
              > The cube faces are 2048x2048:
              > http://www.cheathamlane.net/tests/Canvas3D/pano.html
              >
              > Pretty cool!
              >
              > -- Patrick

              It works fine on my 2.4 GHz Dual Core 4GB MBP in Firefox (Mozilla/5.0
              (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; nl; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824
              Firefox/3.5.3). Tilting and panning is very fast and fluent.
              The pano comes without navigation buttons/menu and so on so I can't zoom, go
              to full screen and so on. Is that correct?

              Harry

            • cheathamlane_360
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009
                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Harry van der Wolf <hvdwolf@...> wrote:

                > 2009/10/3 cheathamlane_360 <patrick@...>
                >

                > > I contacted the developer who had posted the youtube video demo-ing the
                > > Javascript panorama. After a little tweaking of his source code, I was able
                > > to give it more of a fluid 'velocity driven' mouse interaction. The pan/tilt
                > > isn't perfect, but this is just some quick playing around -- the potentials
                > > are awesome.
                > >
                > > You'll need Firefox v3.5.3+ and the Canvas3D extension/addon for FF
                > > ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7171 ), and if on Mac an
                > > Intel machine.
                > >
                > > The cube faces are 2048x2048:
                > > http://www.cheathamlane.net/tests/Canvas3D/pano.html
                > >
                > > Pretty cool!
                > >
                > > -- Patrick
                > >

                > It works fine on my 2.4 GHz Dual Core 4GB MBP in Firefox (Mozilla/5.0
                > (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; nl; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824
                > Firefox/3.5.3). Tilting and panning is very fast and fluent.
                > The pano comes without navigation buttons/menu and so on so I can't zoom, go
                > to full screen and so on. Is that correct?
                >
                > Harry

                That's correct Harry. Give a guy a second, will ya? ;-)

                Patrick
              • cheathamlane_360
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009

                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > On 4 Oct 2009, at 00:16, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > It does display on Mac? Sorry for my complete ignorance (not using
                  > > > a Mac...
                  > > > like a true moron). Am I confusing it with Deval?
                  > >
                  > > Sounds like it. SPi-V has worked well on Macs for *years* now, apart
                  > > from a hiccup when the Intel Macs came out and Adobe took awhile to
                  > > release a native version of the ShockWave plugin.
                  > >

                  > Next hiccup has started,
                  > http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486003
                  >
                  > Hans

                  An Adobe engineer posted an answer in that thread:

                  --
                  The Snow Leopard install has a technote in review right now. Looks like you'll have to run Safari in 32-bit mode to use Shockwave.
                  --

                  No timeline yet for when Showckwave will run in 64-bit.

                  Patrick
                • Hans
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "cheathamlane_360" <patrick@...> wrote:

                    > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@> wrote:

                    > > > Sounds like it. SPi-V has worked well on Macs for *years* now, apart
                    > > > from a hiccup when the Intel Macs came out and Adobe took awhile to
                    > > > release a native version of the ShockWave plugin.
                    > > >

                    > > Next hiccup has started,
                    > > http://forums.adobe.com/thread/486003
                    > >
                    > > Hans
                    >

                    > An Adobe engineer posted an answer in that thread:
                    >
                    > --
                    > The Snow Leopard install has a technote in review right now. Looks like you'll have to run Safari in 32-bit mode to use Shockwave.
                    > --

                    Yes but all that tech-nerd stuff is irrelevant for the normal user.
                    If it does not work as is 90% of the uses will give up unless there is a function essential for there daily use.

                    Hans
                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 4, 2009
                      You guys know that it's not really JavaScript that's doing the rendering right?
                      It's a JavaScript interface to the OpenGL -- which is what Tom S.' viewer is written
                      in so Tom S. should be able to configure his viewer to run in a browser the
                      same way and Tom S.' viewer is a lot better and offers more options and this
                      might be a way to make it cross platform.

                      Tom, you are in a good spot...