Interactive panoramic stereo video feed system from Sony

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
      http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17904-innovation-behind-the-scenes-at-sonys-broadcast-lab.html

      Sony are showing next week a prototype 240fps single lens stereo video camera
      http://smpte2009.org/development-240fps-single-lens-3d-camera

      This uses a relay lens and a beam splitter arrangement behind a single conventional zoom lens to direct 2 image streams to two sensors.

      re panoramic options theNew Scientist article says:
      "The output of several static cameras can be stitched together like a panoramic photo and then transformed into a super-high-resolution 3D video feed. It's possible to digitally pan across or zoom into the resulting 3D feed, giving the viewer the impression of a real 3D camera rig moving around, without actually having to use one."
      This seems strange to me as you would think the stereo effect would not be too strong if filming a distant scene.

      Also noteworthy I thought is this remark
      - "When polarized glasses are not used, viewers with still be able to see natural 2D images, as the disparity of the images for left and right eyes are within the range that human eyes can recognize as a blur."
      on another report
      http://dpnow.com/6427.html
      which has diagrams of the camera

      PeterM
    • microfunguy
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
        Peter Murphy wrote:

        > This seems strange to me as you would think the stereo effect would > not be too strong if filming a distant scene.

        Even stranger, how big is the stereo base ... half the lens diameter ?

        If so, it must be a gigantic lens.

        I have seen academic references to 'sampling images at the edge of an aperture' to derive the two views but the papers are not available to the general public.

        David