Re: 3d photo laser scanner

  • panovrx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Alan Campbell <alan_r_cam@...> wrote:

      > OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
      > They also take pano pictures.
      >
      > With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
      > Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
      > Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.
      >
      > As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.
      >
      > Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
      > This is *Much More Accurate*
      > Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

      There are a whole bunch of 3d laser scanners like this. Used a lot in virtual heritage, highway building, opencut mine recording etc
      eg.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeltXQGmvuc&feature=related
      some will scan 360 degrees and capture a color panorama as well as a point cloud (x, y, z point information). To process them you need a point cloud to mesh software eg.
      http://www.vrmesh.com/
      They scan quite quickly -- a 60 degree arc in 10 seconds -- so you can actually scan a room with people in it as long as they stay still.
      It is a bit creepy actually to see one working making 3d point clouds of the room and the people in realtime on a laptop as it scans around.

      Peter M

      > ________________________________

    • Trausti Hraunfjord
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 9, 2009
        Finally got a reply from FARO.... it took them only a little over 2 months
        to send me a standardized reply:

        *Start capturing data today for only $44,900!*

        This investment gets you a Photon 120 Select pre-loaded with 500 scans, one
        license of FARO Cloud to transfer data to AutoCAD, one year maintenance plus
        two days of training at a FARO Facility.

        Need more than 500 scans? No problem!
        Simply purchase additional scans as you go:
        *250 scans for $14,900
        500 scans for $22,900
        1000 scans for $29,900*

        Plus, if you find you need unlimited scans you can buyout the Photon 120
        Select within the first twelve months for only $99,999 *minus initial
        investment and scan card purchases*!
        **=================================================

        Ok... the price for the initial 500 scans is one thing... including the
        equipment... but still at only $ 89,8 per scan.
        Next 250 scans are at $ 59,6 ea, or 500 scans for $ 45,8 ea or 1000 scans
        for $ 29,9.
        Buying the equipment with unlimited scans... as I read it... costs the
        initial $44.900 plus the $ 99,999 ... plus eventual scan card purchases...
        so an investment of 150K or so.

        I am certainly not in a position to purchase it, nor do I have the back-land
        that might get me the jobs needed for it to earn back such an investment...
        and what else is there available... with a price label reflecting human
        conditions?

        Trausti