Re: [PanoToolsNG] 3d photo laser scanner

  • Robert Slade
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
      crane@... wrote:

      >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
      >
      > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
      > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

      Hi Mick,

      I guessed the same.

      But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
      website speaks volumes.

      Regards,
      Rob

      --
      Robert Slade, Photographer
      Manor Photography 07890 564889
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
        Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

        > I guessed the same.

        we don't need this alternate universe the one we have works fine ( well ( your
        exclusions goes here), ha ha )
        regards
        mick

      • Alan Campbell
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
          OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
          They also take pano pictures.

          With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
          Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
          Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.

          As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.

          Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
          This is *Much More Accurate*
          Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

          ________________________________
          >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
          >
          > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
          > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

          Hi Mick,

          I guessed the same.

          But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
          website speaks volumes.

          Regards,
          Rob

        • panovrx
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Alan Campbell <alan_r_cam@...> wrote:

            > OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
            > They also take pano pictures.
            >
            > With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
            > Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
            > Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.
            >
            > As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.
            >
            > Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
            > This is *Much More Accurate*
            > Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

            There are a whole bunch of 3d laser scanners like this. Used a lot in virtual heritage, highway building, opencut mine recording etc
            eg.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeltXQGmvuc&feature=related
            some will scan 360 degrees and capture a color panorama as well as a point cloud (x, y, z point information). To process them you need a point cloud to mesh software eg.
            http://www.vrmesh.com/
            They scan quite quickly -- a 60 degree arc in 10 seconds -- so you can actually scan a room with people in it as long as they stay still.
            It is a bit creepy actually to see one working making 3d point clouds of the room and the people in realtime on a laptop as it scans around.

            Peter M

            > ________________________________

          • Trausti Hraunfjord
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 9, 2009
              Finally got a reply from FARO.... it took them only a little over 2 months
              to send me a standardized reply:

              *Start capturing data today for only $44,900!*

              This investment gets you a Photon 120 Select pre-loaded with 500 scans, one
              license of FARO Cloud to transfer data to AutoCAD, one year maintenance plus
              two days of training at a FARO Facility.

              Need more than 500 scans? No problem!
              Simply purchase additional scans as you go:
              *250 scans for $14,900
              500 scans for $22,900
              1000 scans for $29,900*

              Plus, if you find you need unlimited scans you can buyout the Photon 120
              Select within the first twelve months for only $99,999 *minus initial
              investment and scan card purchases*!
              **=================================================

              Ok... the price for the initial 500 scans is one thing... including the
              equipment... but still at only $ 89,8 per scan.
              Next 250 scans are at $ 59,6 ea, or 500 scans for $ 45,8 ea or 1000 scans
              for $ 29,9.
              Buying the equipment with unlimited scans... as I read it... costs the
              initial $44.900 plus the $ 99,999 ... plus eventual scan card purchases...
              so an investment of 150K or so.

              I am certainly not in a position to purchase it, nor do I have the back-land
              that might get me the jobs needed for it to earn back such an investment...
              and what else is there available... with a price label reflecting human
              conditions?

              Trausti