Re: [PanoToolsNG] 3d photo laser scanner

  • crane@ukonline.co.uk
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
      Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:

      > via walker young
      >

      > http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/
      >
      > the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
      > still interesting ;-)

      what's wrong with reality ?

      regards

      mick

    • Robert Slade
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
        I thought the website was terrible and the video not much better.

        The product looks amazing.

        But after 15 minutes viewing, I still didn't fully understand what the
        product was or what it did, or the benefits to me.

        Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?

        Even better, how much?

        Thanks,
        Robert
        --

        crane@... wrote:
        > Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:
        >
        >> via walker young
        >>

        >> http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/
        >>
        >> the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
        >> still interesting ;-)
        >
        > what's wrong with reality ?
        >
        > regards
        >
        > mick

        Robert Slade, Photographer
        Manor Photography 07890 564889
        http://www.manor-photography.com
      • crane@ukonline.co.uk
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
          Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

          > I thought the website was terrible and the video not much better.
          >
          > The product looks amazing.
          >
          > But after 15 minutes viewing, I still didn't fully understand what the
          > product was or what it did, or the benefits to me.
          >
          > Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?

          I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
          and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

          regards

          mick

        • Robert Slade
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
            crane@... wrote:

            >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
            >
            > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
            > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

            Hi Mick,

            I guessed the same.

            But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
            website speaks volumes.

            Regards,
            Rob

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
              Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

              > I guessed the same.

              we don't need this alternate universe the one we have works fine ( well ( your
              exclusions goes here), ha ha )
              regards
              mick

            • Alan Campbell
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
                They also take pano pictures.

                With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
                Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
                Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.

                As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.

                Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
                This is *Much More Accurate*
                Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

                ________________________________
                >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
                >
                > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
                > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

                Hi Mick,

                I guessed the same.

                But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
                website speaks volumes.

                Regards,
                Rob

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Alan Campbell <alan_r_cam@...> wrote:

                  > OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
                  > They also take pano pictures.
                  >
                  > With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
                  > Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
                  > Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.
                  >
                  > As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.
                  >
                  > Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
                  > This is *Much More Accurate*
                  > Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

                  There are a whole bunch of 3d laser scanners like this. Used a lot in virtual heritage, highway building, opencut mine recording etc
                  eg.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeltXQGmvuc&feature=related
                  some will scan 360 degrees and capture a color panorama as well as a point cloud (x, y, z point information). To process them you need a point cloud to mesh software eg.
                  http://www.vrmesh.com/
                  They scan quite quickly -- a 60 degree arc in 10 seconds -- so you can actually scan a room with people in it as long as they stay still.
                  It is a bit creepy actually to see one working making 3d point clouds of the room and the people in realtime on a laptop as it scans around.

                  Peter M

                  > ________________________________

                • Trausti Hraunfjord
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9 2:07 AM
                    Finally got a reply from FARO.... it took them only a little over 2 months
                    to send me a standardized reply:

                    *Start capturing data today for only $44,900!*

                    This investment gets you a Photon 120 Select pre-loaded with 500 scans, one
                    license of FARO Cloud to transfer data to AutoCAD, one year maintenance plus
                    two days of training at a FARO Facility.

                    Need more than 500 scans? No problem!
                    Simply purchase additional scans as you go:
                    *250 scans for $14,900
                    500 scans for $22,900
                    1000 scans for $29,900*

                    Plus, if you find you need unlimited scans you can buyout the Photon 120
                    Select within the first twelve months for only $99,999 *minus initial
                    investment and scan card purchases*!
                    **=================================================

                    Ok... the price for the initial 500 scans is one thing... including the
                    equipment... but still at only $ 89,8 per scan.
                    Next 250 scans are at $ 59,6 ea, or 500 scans for $ 45,8 ea or 1000 scans
                    for $ 29,9.
                    Buying the equipment with unlimited scans... as I read it... costs the
                    initial $44.900 plus the $ 99,999 ... plus eventual scan card purchases...
                    so an investment of 150K or so.

                    I am certainly not in a position to purchase it, nor do I have the back-land
                    that might get me the jobs needed for it to earn back such an investment...
                    and what else is there available... with a price label reflecting human
                    conditions?

                    Trausti