Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: nikkor 10.5 lens OT?

  • Keith Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
      Sometime around 30/9/09 (at 17:42 +0200) luca vascon said:

      >I prefer using fisheyes cos you have less shots for the same ending quality.

      Yep, certainly when shooting for online delivery.

      RobLee,

      As long as your stitched output is at least as high res as your final
      delivery needs, the only difference a fisheye makes is fewer shots
      required to capture everything. That difference can be really useful,
      as the longer it takes to capture a scene the more chance there is
      for something to screw it up.

      'Course, if you need to take more shots (because your lens isn't as
      madly wide as a fisheye) then you're able to generate a *higher*
      resolution stitched result. But is that necessary for your needs?

    • guillaume_fulchiron
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
        RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

        > I use it on D70s and D300
        > thanks!

        Hi RobLee,

        I'd be very interested to see some 360° panos shot with this rectilinear Tokina 11-16. Do you (or someone else here) have any example online ?

        Thank you.

        G.
      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
          Well.
          I mean that with fisheye you have better balanced piixel stretching, better
          borders, more resolving power, less trouble.
          If you ever try to stitch a multirow panorama with APSC sensor and 16mm
          fisheye, and then one with the zoom level you want of a 10-22 rectilinear,
          having for target the same 16000x8000 fisheye always win, giving you less
          stitching troubles, more quality and less pictures to shot.
          Tokina 10-17 for panos wins over 10-22 Canon in the whole range of both.
          I'm not talking about "web only"shots.

          Although...
          6600 x 3300 from www.canalview.it
          printed as large as 80x160 cm are a pleasure to see...
          :-)

          2009/9/30 Keith Martin <keith@...>

          > Sometime around 30/9/09 (at 17:42 +0200) luca vascon said:
          >
          > >I prefer using fisheyes cos you have less shots for the same ending
          > quality.
          >
          > Yep, certainly when shooting for online delivery.
          >
          > RobLee,
          >
          > As long as your stitched output is at least as high res as your final
          > delivery needs, the only difference a fisheye makes is fewer shots
          > required to capture everything. That difference can be really useful,
          > as the longer it takes to capture a scene the more chance there is
          > for something to screw it up.
          >
          > 'Course, if you need to take more shots (because your lens isn't as
          > madly wide as a fisheye) then you're able to generate a *higher*
          > resolution stitched result. But is that necessary for your needs?

          Luca Vascon.

          www.canalview.it
          www.officinepanottiche.com