Re: [PanoToolsNG] 3d photo laser scanner

  • Trausti Hraunfjord
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
      Very impressive indeed. Have requested a price quote for the photon 120
      model. I agree this must be terribly expensive... so I fear getting the
      price quote.

      10 years from now such equipment might be small enough to fit onto cameras
      like a battery grip....

      Trausti

    • crane@ukonline.co.uk
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
        Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:

        > via walker young
        >

        > http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/
        >
        > the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
        > still interesting ;-)

        what's wrong with reality ?

        regards

        mick

      • Robert Slade
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
          I thought the website was terrible and the video not much better.

          The product looks amazing.

          But after 15 minutes viewing, I still didn't fully understand what the
          product was or what it did, or the benefits to me.

          Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?

          Even better, how much?

          Thanks,
          Robert
          --

          crane@... wrote:
          > Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:
          >
          >> via walker young
          >>

          >> http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/
          >>
          >> the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
          >> still interesting ;-)
          >
          > what's wrong with reality ?
          >
          > regards
          >
          > mick

          Robert Slade, Photographer
          Manor Photography 07890 564889
          http://www.manor-photography.com
        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
            Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

            > I thought the website was terrible and the video not much better.
            >
            > The product looks amazing.
            >
            > But after 15 minutes viewing, I still didn't fully understand what the
            > product was or what it did, or the benefits to me.
            >
            > Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?

            I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
            and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

            regards

            mick

          • Robert Slade
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
              crane@... wrote:

              >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
              >
              > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
              > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

              Hi Mick,

              I guessed the same.

              But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
              website speaks volumes.

              Regards,
              Rob

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

                > I guessed the same.

                we don't need this alternate universe the one we have works fine ( well ( your
                exclusions goes here), ha ha )
                regards
                mick

              • Alan Campbell
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                  OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
                  They also take pano pictures.

                  With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
                  Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
                  Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.

                  As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.

                  Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
                  This is *Much More Accurate*
                  Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

                  ________________________________
                  >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
                  >
                  > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
                  > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

                  Hi Mick,

                  I guessed the same.

                  But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
                  website speaks volumes.

                  Regards,
                  Rob

                • panovrx
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Alan Campbell <alan_r_cam@...> wrote:

                    > OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
                    > They also take pano pictures.
                    >
                    > With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
                    > Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
                    > Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.
                    >
                    > As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.
                    >
                    > Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
                    > This is *Much More Accurate*
                    > Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

                    There are a whole bunch of 3d laser scanners like this. Used a lot in virtual heritage, highway building, opencut mine recording etc
                    eg.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeltXQGmvuc&feature=related
                    some will scan 360 degrees and capture a color panorama as well as a point cloud (x, y, z point information). To process them you need a point cloud to mesh software eg.
                    http://www.vrmesh.com/
                    They scan quite quickly -- a 60 degree arc in 10 seconds -- so you can actually scan a room with people in it as long as they stay still.
                    It is a bit creepy actually to see one working making 3d point clouds of the room and the people in realtime on a laptop as it scans around.

                    Peter M

                    > ________________________________

                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2009
                      Finally got a reply from FARO.... it took them only a little over 2 months
                      to send me a standardized reply:

                      *Start capturing data today for only $44,900!*

                      This investment gets you a Photon 120 Select pre-loaded with 500 scans, one
                      license of FARO Cloud to transfer data to AutoCAD, one year maintenance plus
                      two days of training at a FARO Facility.

                      Need more than 500 scans? No problem!
                      Simply purchase additional scans as you go:
                      *250 scans for $14,900
                      500 scans for $22,900
                      1000 scans for $29,900*

                      Plus, if you find you need unlimited scans you can buyout the Photon 120
                      Select within the first twelve months for only $99,999 *minus initial
                      investment and scan card purchases*!
                      **=================================================

                      Ok... the price for the initial 500 scans is one thing... including the
                      equipment... but still at only $ 89,8 per scan.
                      Next 250 scans are at $ 59,6 ea, or 500 scans for $ 45,8 ea or 1000 scans
                      for $ 29,9.
                      Buying the equipment with unlimited scans... as I read it... costs the
                      initial $44.900 plus the $ 99,999 ... plus eventual scan card purchases...
                      so an investment of 150K or so.

                      I am certainly not in a position to purchase it, nor do I have the back-land
                      that might get me the jobs needed for it to earn back such an investment...
                      and what else is there available... with a price label reflecting human
                      conditions?

                      Trausti