3d photo laser scanner

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
      via walker young

      http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/

      the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
      still interesting ;-)

    • Wim Koornneef
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
        Very impressive. I noticed that the shooting and processing of the data takes
        a lot of time.
        11 hours for the shooting and 3 hour per 100 m2
        I guess due to the expensive hardware, software and labour the total costs
        for such a virtual tour will be also very impressive and hence hard to sell
        in a commercial market...

        Wim
      • Trausti Hraunfjord
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
          Very impressive indeed. Have requested a price quote for the photon 120
          model. I agree this must be terribly expensive... so I fear getting the
          price quote.

          10 years from now such equipment might be small enough to fit onto cameras
          like a battery grip....

          Trausti

        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
            Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:

            > via walker young
            >

            > http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/
            >
            > the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
            > still interesting ;-)

            what's wrong with reality ?

            regards

            mick

          • Robert Slade
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
              I thought the website was terrible and the video not much better.

              The product looks amazing.

              But after 15 minutes viewing, I still didn't fully understand what the
              product was or what it did, or the benefits to me.

              Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?

              Even better, how much?

              Thanks,
              Robert
              --

              crane@... wrote:
              > Quoting "Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net" <360cities@...>:
              >
              >> via walker young
              >>

              >> http://laser-scanner.faro.com/videos/
              >>
              >> the smarmy midwest salesman accent somewhat cheapens the presentation, but
              >> still interesting ;-)
              >
              > what's wrong with reality ?
              >
              > regards
              >
              > mick

              Robert Slade, Photographer
              Manor Photography 07890 564889
              http://www.manor-photography.com
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

                > I thought the website was terrible and the video not much better.
                >
                > The product looks amazing.
                >
                > But after 15 minutes viewing, I still didn't fully understand what the
                > product was or what it did, or the benefits to me.
                >
                > Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?

                I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
                and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

                regards

                mick

              • Robert Slade
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                  crane@... wrote:

                  >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
                  >
                  > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
                  > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

                  Hi Mick,

                  I guessed the same.

                  But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
                  website speaks volumes.

                  Regards,
                  Rob

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                    Quoting Robert Slade <robert@...>:

                    > I guessed the same.

                    we don't need this alternate universe the one we have works fine ( well ( your
                    exclusions goes here), ha ha )
                    regards
                    mick

                  • Alan Campbell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                      OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
                      They also take pano pictures.

                      With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
                      Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
                      Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.

                      As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.

                      Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
                      This is *Much More Accurate*
                      Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

                      ________________________________
                      >> Perhaps someone else could explain it in simple terms?
                      >
                      > I'm guessing they use some clever technical stuff to measure distances
                      > and input that into some other clever software stuff to try to sell you a house.

                      Hi Mick,

                      I guessed the same.

                      But the fact that I couldn't be sure after spending some time on their
                      website speaks volumes.

                      Regards,
                      Rob

                    • panovrx
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Alan Campbell <alan_r_cam@...> wrote:

                        > OK- they use a laser to measure distance (think: radar)
                        > They also take pano pictures.
                        >
                        > With the laser data, they can make an accurate CAD model.
                        > Then, they add the pano picture as a "texture" to the surfaces in the model.
                        > Result (from video); accurate model you can move around in.
                        >
                        > As used in "Matrix" movie, to create a virtual set.
                        >
                        > Autocad's ImageModeler does similar work, from standard photos.
                        > This is *Much More Accurate*
                        > Unless you are restoring / remodelling a fiendishly expensive house, I doubt the expense is worth the outlay.

                        There are a whole bunch of 3d laser scanners like this. Used a lot in virtual heritage, highway building, opencut mine recording etc
                        eg.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeltXQGmvuc&feature=related
                        some will scan 360 degrees and capture a color panorama as well as a point cloud (x, y, z point information). To process them you need a point cloud to mesh software eg.
                        http://www.vrmesh.com/
                        They scan quite quickly -- a 60 degree arc in 10 seconds -- so you can actually scan a room with people in it as long as they stay still.
                        It is a bit creepy actually to see one working making 3d point clouds of the room and the people in realtime on a laptop as it scans around.

                        Peter M

                        > ________________________________

                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 9, 2009
                          Finally got a reply from FARO.... it took them only a little over 2 months
                          to send me a standardized reply:

                          *Start capturing data today for only $44,900!*

                          This investment gets you a Photon 120 Select pre-loaded with 500 scans, one
                          license of FARO Cloud to transfer data to AutoCAD, one year maintenance plus
                          two days of training at a FARO Facility.

                          Need more than 500 scans? No problem!
                          Simply purchase additional scans as you go:
                          *250 scans for $14,900
                          500 scans for $22,900
                          1000 scans for $29,900*

                          Plus, if you find you need unlimited scans you can buyout the Photon 120
                          Select within the first twelve months for only $99,999 *minus initial
                          investment and scan card purchases*!
                          **=================================================

                          Ok... the price for the initial 500 scans is one thing... including the
                          equipment... but still at only $ 89,8 per scan.
                          Next 250 scans are at $ 59,6 ea, or 500 scans for $ 45,8 ea or 1000 scans
                          for $ 29,9.
                          Buying the equipment with unlimited scans... as I read it... costs the
                          initial $44.900 plus the $ 99,999 ... plus eventual scan card purchases...
                          so an investment of 150K or so.

                          I am certainly not in a position to purchase it, nor do I have the back-land
                          that might get me the jobs needed for it to earn back such an investment...
                          and what else is there available... with a price label reflecting human
                          conditions?

                          Trausti