nikkor 10.5 lens OT?

  • RobLee
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
      Currently I use Tokina 11-16 lens for pano photos.
      Would I greatly (to the tune of $700) benefit by purchasing 10.5 fisheye lens?
      Thank you for all your opinions.

    • Keith Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009
        Sometime around 29/9/09 (at 17:27 -0700) RobLee said:

        >Currently I use Tokina 11-16 lens for pano photos.
        >Would I greatly (to the tune of $700) benefit by purchasing 10.5 fisheye lens?

        The 10.5mm is frequently said to be the best for this work, but the
        difference isn't huge. It seems that the top three for this stuff
        (the order of which isn't necessarily agreed) is the Nikkor 10.5mm,
        the Sigma 8mm and the Tokina. The question is how critical you want
        to be - are you a little dissatisfied with the quality you're getting
        from the Tonika? And what camera body do you have?

        Small point: you'd get another stop from the Nikkor for when you're
        in difficult low-light conditions. (Sure, it is sharper stopped down
        a tad, but so's pretty much everything. Sometimes it just has to be
        done.)

      • Hans
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2009

          > Sometime around 29/9/09 (at 17:27 -0700) RobLee said:
          >
          > >Currently I use Tokina 11-16 lens for pano photos.
          > >Would I greatly (to the tune of $700) benefit by purchasing 10.5 fisheye lens?
          >
          > The 10.5mm is frequently said to be the best for this work, but the
          > difference isn't huge. It seems that the top three for this stuff
          > (the order of which isn't necessarily agreed) is the Nikkor 10.5mm,
          > the Sigma 8mm and the Tokina. The question is how critical you want
          > to be - are you a little dissatisfied with the quality you're getting
          > from the Tonika? And what camera body do you have?
          >
          > Small point: you'd get another stop from the Nikkor for when you're
          > in difficult low-light conditions. (Sure, it is sharper stopped down
          > a tad, but so's pretty much everything. Sometimes it just has to be
          > done.)

          Keith

          He has the Tokina 11-16mm not the 10-17
          Thats a large difference.

          It is difficult to give advice on lens when you do not say what camera you have.

          For Canon you need an adapter for the 10,5mm
          You can get Tokina 10-17mm fisheye for most cameras. (not Sony currently)
          It is just as good as the Nikkor 10.5mm
          Both of them gives you a full spherical with 6 around at -10 + a zenith at 70-90 degree.
          + Nadir

          Hans
        • Keith Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
            Sometime around 30/9/09 (at 06:55 +0000) Hans said:

            >He has the Tokina 11-16mm not the 10-17
            >Thats a large difference.

            Good catch, thanks. (Doh!)

            >You can get Tokina 10-17mm fisheye for most cameras. (not Sony currently)
            >It is just as good as the Nikkor 10.5mm

            This is exactly what I meant by "the order of which isn't necessarily
            agreed". ;-) Basically, the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye is a great option
            for shooting sphericals, as is the Nikkor 10.5mm and the Sigma 8mm
            fisheyes.

            But the rectilinear Tokina 11-16mm would require more shots, probably
            multiple rows plus zenith and nadir (he says, waiting for corrections
            to come flying in) and hence isn't *quite* so good for quick work.

            Looks like quite a nice lens though.
            http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx116prodx-a.html

          • RobLee
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
              I use it on D70s and D300
              thanks!

              > Sometime around 29/9/09 (at 17:27 -0700) RobLee said:

              > >Currently I use Tokina 11-16 lens for pano photos.

              > >Would I greatly (to the tune of $700) benefit by purchasing 10.5 fisheye lens?

              > The 10.5mm is frequently said to be the best for this work, but the

              > difference isn't huge. It seems that the top three for this stuff

              > (the order of which isn't necessarily agreed) is the Nikkor 10.5mm,

              > the Sigma 8mm and the Tokina. The question is how critical you want

              > to be - are you a little dissatisfied with the quality you're getting

              > from the Tonika? And what camera body do you have?

              > Small point: you'd get another stop from the Nikkor for when you're

              > in difficult low-light conditions. (Sure, it is sharper stopped down

              > a tad, but so's pretty much everything. Sometimes it just has to be

              > done.)

              Keith

              He has the Tokina 11-16mm not the 10-17

              Thats a large difference.

              It is difficult to give advice on lens when you do not say what camera you have.

              For Canon you need an adapter for the 10,5mm

              You can get Tokina 10-17mm fisheye for most cameras. (not Sony currently)

              It is just as good as the Nikkor 10.5mm

              Both of them gives you a full spherical with 6 around at -10 + a zenith at 70-90 degree.

              + Nadir

            • luca vascon
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                fisheyes and rectilinear have different behaviour when used to make
                panoramas...
                I prefer using fisheyes cos you have less shots for the same ending quality.

                2009/9/30 RobLee <roblee007@...>

                > I use it on D70s and D300
                > thanks!

                Luca Vascon.

                www.canalview.it
                www.officinepanottiche.com

              • Keith Martin
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Sometime around 30/9/09 (at 17:42 +0200) luca vascon said:

                  >I prefer using fisheyes cos you have less shots for the same ending quality.

                  Yep, certainly when shooting for online delivery.

                  RobLee,

                  As long as your stitched output is at least as high res as your final
                  delivery needs, the only difference a fisheye makes is fewer shots
                  required to capture everything. That difference can be really useful,
                  as the longer it takes to capture a scene the more chance there is
                  for something to screw it up.

                  'Course, if you need to take more shots (because your lens isn't as
                  madly wide as a fisheye) then you're able to generate a *higher*
                  resolution stitched result. But is that necessary for your needs?

                • guillaume_fulchiron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                    RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

                    > I use it on D70s and D300
                    > thanks!

                    Hi RobLee,

                    I'd be very interested to see some 360° panos shot with this rectilinear Tokina 11-16. Do you (or someone else here) have any example online ?

                    Thank you.

                    G.
                  • luca vascon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
                      Well.
                      I mean that with fisheye you have better balanced piixel stretching, better
                      borders, more resolving power, less trouble.
                      If you ever try to stitch a multirow panorama with APSC sensor and 16mm
                      fisheye, and then one with the zoom level you want of a 10-22 rectilinear,
                      having for target the same 16000x8000 fisheye always win, giving you less
                      stitching troubles, more quality and less pictures to shot.
                      Tokina 10-17 for panos wins over 10-22 Canon in the whole range of both.
                      I'm not talking about "web only"shots.

                      Although...
                      6600 x 3300 from www.canalview.it
                      printed as large as 80x160 cm are a pleasure to see...
                      :-)