Lake Mary Marina plus self critique...

  • Ken Warner
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009
      Colors a bit too saturated.
      Stitch is ok.
      Flare is atrocious -- I totally capitulate to flare.
      Exposure is ok.
      I think the sky is smooth enough.

      The hard part was that the boats tied to the dock moved with
      every shot.

      Not bad for a compact camera -- I think.

      http://pancyl.com/LakeMaryMarina.htm
    • panostar
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2009

        > Not bad for a compact camera -- I think.

        A good result. You should deal with flare by taking an extra shot with the the sun masked by your hand or a cardboard disc on a stick. Include the image in the PTGui project but output separately and merge in post processing.

        John
      • Ken Warner
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
          I try to align my pano head so that the sun is in the middle of one shot.
          I shoot 3 rows of six. The sun is usually in the top row and middle row
          right below. About 4 shots with the flare.

          It's the shots adjacent (to the side and below) that also give the obnoxious flare.
          The Sun coming in at an angle to the lens centerline. The lens is a Nikon WC-63.
          A wide angle converter -- makes the 28mm eq lens on my compact to be about
          an 18mm eq. Here's a small screen capture of the PTGui project showing
          the loaded images -- it's about 40kb. You can see the four images that have flare.

          http://pancyl.com/images/PTGuiThum.jpg

          I'm going to start using a lens hood and see if I can reduce the flare.

          Or someday I will buy a better lens. Sort of not worth a lot of effort with
          the equipment I have now. And I've almost grown to like flare... :-)

          panostar wrote:
          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
          >> Not bad for a compact camera -- I think.
          >
          > A good result. You should deal with flare by taking an extra shot with the the sun masked by your hand or a cardboard disc on a stick. Include the image in the PTGui project but output separately and merge in post processing.
          >
          > John

        • Sacha Griffin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
            To take care of flare, I generally shoot a second shot at just a small
            rotation.

            When shooting you will notice the position of the flare is relative to your
            angle to it.

            So you can use multiple shots to mask it away. In your shots, you may need
            to tilt instead of rotate.

            I haven't done the complete block out as hans suggested, I think in your
            case, it might be a bit difficult to blend the actual sun shot, with the
            rest of them since your focal length is so long you don't have much space
            for blending it in, then again maybe not.

            Sacha Griffin

            Southern Digital Solutions LLC

            http://www.southern-digital.com

            http://www.seeit360.net

            GMAIL IM: sachagriffin007@...

            404-551-4275

            panostar wrote:
            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
            , Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
            >> Not bad for a compact camera -- I think.
            >
            > A good result. You should deal with flare by taking an extra shot with the
            the sun masked by your hand or a cardboard disc on a stick. Include the
            image in the PTGui project but output separately and merge in post
            processing.

            > John

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30, 2009
              That could work. An extra 4 shots slightly rotated and/or tilted.
              Then some masking could work. I'll try that plus the hand block.