Re: why is levelling a pano so difficult?

    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 29, 2009
      colchagua007 wrote:

      > I found that the spirit level on the tripod/monopod/panohead is only
      > good for the first 2 shot in the serie to be use for the panorama.
      > As the panohead is rotated, the panohead screws itself in an upward
      > motion to the original horizontal level; therefore you have to adjust
      > the level every couple of shots, making it very time consuming specially
      > if you are in a hurry.

      If this is the case the bubble level isn't mounted perpendicular to the
      rotation axis. What I wrote: The manufacturers don't pay much attention
      to bubble levels. And if the bubble level on the tripod changes if you
      turn the camera, the tripod is weak and apparently bends if the center
      of gravity is moved.

      While I agree with Luca and Willy that leveling a panorama manually is
      easy it spoils the idea of batch stitching from a precision head.

      And concerning the hot shoe of the camera: This is the least precise
      point to get the setup level. It might be relatively good in landscape
      orientation, but it can't be precise in portrait mode, since the part
      which sits in the shoe has to be narrower than the slot and hence can be
      turned a bit...

      best regards
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 29, 2009