Re: [PanoToolsNG] Grand Central Station's Clock panorama

  • Scott Witte
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 27, 2009
      Pat,

      Well put and overall I have to agree.

      Re: Autorotation. I dislike it as well, but a couple times I provided
      proofs to clients without autorotation only to find that most in their
      marketing department, even the web designer(s), often didn't understand
      that they could make the "still" image move. They felt something was
      needed to let viewers know that the image wasn't still. So I added an
      initial autorotation but on first interaction with the pano it turns off
      entirely. You can still turn it back on by clicking the autorotation
      toggle, if desired. So, nearly the same approach as you but I've left
      the rotation a little faster.

      I also like an uncluttered screen and am still experimenting with
      various options on that. I don't have direction buttons now, for
      instance. Can't imagine anyone using them, certainly not once they
      realize they can just click and drag the image. In my case, rather than
      having the buttons disappear totally and suddenly I have them fade to a
      subtle 10% alpha after a short delay.

      But I still have a hard time with the NYT interface. The only control
      you have is full screen and autorotation. That really limits interaction
      just to get a cleaner screen. But they do have those two bold buttons on
      a very big bar that stands out more than needed. Doesn't work so well
      for me. OK. My opinion and preference, for what its worth.

      As for the sloppy programming of the viewer. It may only show up if you
      are using the debug Flash player. Going to full screen throws an error,
      displaying a message that apparently prevents going to full screen. If
      that doesn't happen with the standard Flash player you might ask, "who
      cares", but from a programming point of view it is very sloppy.

      As always, Pat, love your pano work and the interface works for me.

      --
      Scott Witte

      *TOUR* DE *FORCE*
      360 Virtual Tours <http://www.tourdeforce360.com/>