Re: SPAM-LOW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canon 7D or SONY Alpha 850 - which one would you buy?

  • Ricardo C S Araujo
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
      Luca,

      Promote works with Canon 5D Mark II.

      From: luca vascon <luca.vascon@...>
      Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:13 AM
      To: PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: SPAM-LOW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Canon 7D or SONY Alpha 850 - which one would you buy?

      Well.. it needs a little bit more time and developement.... and promote is

      nikon only...

      2009/9/27 Ricardo C S Araujo <ricardo.araujo@...>

      > I tried the Magic Lantern Firmware for bracketing purpose. It runs from CF

      > card and don't override the Canon Firmware so all you need to return for the

      > original firmware is turn off and on your MK II. Try it and you will see

      > that, by now, it don't work fine. Another issue is: you can't use the remote

      > control to fire the bracketing sequence. That's why I'm considering buying

      > Promote.

      Luca Vascon.

      www.canalview.it

      www.officinepanottiche.com

    • Mark D. Fink
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
        What about using an Automate - <http://www.thegadgetworks.com/>? It's more
        expensive, but certainly seems to provide all the bells and whistles you
        could possibly need for remote control, plus you get a gigapixel platform.

        Mark
        www.pinnacle-vr.com
        www.northernlight.net

      • luca vascon
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
          Uh! I Know that head... was selling under a fair amount of brands, as a
          cheap waty to pan and tilt videocams.
          Limited, heavy, noisy...
          Well, I mean at least 10 years ago.
          :-/
          Hope they built that thing better than before

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
            I didn't realize there was such a long history behind this unit. Do you have
            details on that? It would be interesting to read up on.

            Mark
            www.pinnacle-vr.com
            www.northernlight.net

          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2009
              Well, the story is simple.
              That pan'tilt head was the most cheap way to remote video cameras in the
              studios, it only had 2 speeds, and the weight you could put on was limited
              (keep in mind we are talking about big videocams) So they are not
              "followers", nor thr pro gearv you normally have on a crane, that mimics
              whatever you are doing at the base with the control.
              Ib UK there is someone selling them whith a small hack done, that is
              removing the limit allowing only 180 degrees of pan.
              +- 15 degrees of tilt, unfortunately, is a limt. The whole thing should have
              been projected differently to overcome this.
              Plus is that is working on batteries, in the new units!

              People who built the automate simply took this head
              http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Camcorder-VX1000-VX2000-VX2100-Pan-and-Tilt-Head_W0QQitemZ390098082871
              and made a controller for it.

              http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Camcorder-Camera-Pan-and-Tilt-Tripod-Head_W0QQitemZ170386966275
              costs less, is smaller and has +- 60 degrees tilt!
              I guess it can be converted to batteries.