Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: new forum set up

  • Carl von Einem
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
      One (read: Carl) should clearly read his own words again when posting to
      the list.

      Carl von Einem made a stupid comment:
      > not too bad...

      Trying to put some sense into that: I like this "welcome message" file
      (which I didn't receive when I was approved). So "trying out the
      features of Yahoo groups" is something I really encourage in some way. I
      also don't like the "bells and whistles" HTMl postings as they are
      really awful for digest readers and for the archive. I am actually used
      to plain ascii digests and prefer those over Yahoo's web interface.

      The FAQ asked for by "de gava" is sort of a legitimate question. So why
      not use the according sections of our group to link to the basics?

      OTOH Yuv has a good point in saying that the priorities lay on other
      topics. Maybe in calmer words?

      > yuval_levy provoked:
      >>
      >> You will find an FAQ at <http://ptfaq.org/> - and there are other
      >> community ressources which at the moment are... uhum... still hijacked
      >> and hence I will not link them here. I am sure you can operate
      >> google.com, right? and maybe structure your findings as an FAQ or a
      >> list of links and share them with us?

      Good idea: "de gava" and whoever likes to fill in some early content.
      Post it here for others or even better: look for the appropriate section

      >> Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome message to this list -
      >> specifically what is on topic and what is not. I've added a second
      >> bullet to that message under "off topic". There is another list that
      >> deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free to read it and
      >> make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant problems that
      >> this community is currently dealing with. Then make whatever
      >> proposition seems sensible to you. I suspect that for the time being
      >> you will not find many volunteers for your plans, but nice try anyway.

      Yuv is understandably a bit concerned about others trying to bring the
      discussion away from those topics we feel to be top priority right now.
      But then... hey, this is the "non-political" list! Keep on bringing
      ideas! This list is brand new and needs some time to organize itself, we
      need everyones help!

      Carl

      ps.
      "de gava", do you have a name for us we can use without those quotation
      marks? Thanks...
    • Thomas Rauscher
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
        Hello Mickael,

        on Tuesday, July 11, 2006, 02:16:19 you wrote:

        mt> ahuum,

        mt> Yahoo and such html email suck, always have and always will, untill
        mt> standards are achieved.
        mt> email should just be that and no more: plain text that ALL READERS can read.

        Have you seen the option at "Edit Membership"
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/join ?

        Just set the "Message Preference" to "Traditional" and you will have
        nice ASCII emails.... ;)

        MfG,
        Thomas.
      • mickael therer
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
          am I dumb, or am I dumb ?

          thank you Thomas !

          -m

          --
          http://www.360days.com
          http://ww2panorama.org
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 11, 2006
            Well Shut my mouth(keyboard)

            " Re: new forum set up
            Posted by: "yuval_levy" yuval_levy@... [ my
            email address is, like yours in the digest]

            "--- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava
            <wblakesx@...> wrote:
            > For a start it would be nice to set up a faq, list
            of...

            "Anything else? [ yes, here was an enquiry, not a
            statement ]

            "For a start, it would be nice if you would introduce
            yourself.

            "I searched for
            "de gava" and for your email address and came across
            nothing vr but
            the June 12 yahoo mail worm that infected so many ...I
            don't
            even know if "de gava" is your real name. From Google
            I found out that
            you are probably in Miami and you might have written
            an article about
            voting machines fraud. YahooGroups. [ and who said the
            inquisition was dead? and this para has a peculiar
            traducatory feel if not intent]

            "Maybe I was not clear when I wrote the welcome
            message to this list -
            specifically what is on topic and what is not. [ no
            it is Not at all clear, and if you examine it from a
            npov...]

            "There is another list that
            deals with how we want to organize ourself. Feel free
            to read it and
            make yourself aquainted with the little insignificant
            [ wow you have a strange prose style] problems that
            this community is currently dealing with. [ where?
            where's the link?, are you a good mod? or a soso mod?
            ]
            Then make whatever
            proposition seems sensible to you. [ after being
            castigated for the same thing? sorta puts a damper on
            ykwim? as does :]
            I suspect that for the time being
            you will not find many volunteers for your plans [ I
            think you may have driven a few off ], but nice try
            anyway.[ Are you a native English speaker? this kind
            of phrase is rather jarring, like my Italian friend
            saying to black people and jews, "you people", of
            course he says it to everyone, but the black people
            don't know it. I rather hope you aren't very fluent in
            the language]

            Sorry all. I've alienated a mod and perhaps afew
            others. I'm getting the feeling that it is too stuffy
            around here and I don't need this shizo treatment.
            Perhaps I'll place a proxy here or perhaps I'll bugger
            off. I was trying to move the group to a higher
            ground, but I can see many here are caught up in
            details, like close ups.
            -David, my real name

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • de gava
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
              I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
              drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
              remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
              are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
              of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
              narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
              After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
              will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
              proper time and place to Institute...institutional
              utilities.
              That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
              noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
              proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
              Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
              I go there there is at least one post from the
              ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
              page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
              dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
              navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
              and queries can be directected there.
              As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
              make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
              a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
              other probs.
              I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
              Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • serge Maandag (yahoo)
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                > utilities.

                Off-topic will only become a problem once it gets annoying.
                No worries. This looks to me like something regarding a
                wish list for rules/regulations. That definitely belongs to
                the Panotools-List list :)
                Please join us there.

                > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.

                Yep, here is one.
                Welcome to the group!

                Serge.
              • tflyfish2002
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 12, 2006
                  Man,
                  You've got more Rabbit than Sainsbury's.
                  Why not sign your posts and you might get taken a bit more seriously.
                  I don't wish to start a Flame war, but the word Troll comes to mind.
                  So correct me if I am wrong.

                  Bazzer-- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, de gava <wblakesx@...> wrote:

                  > I see no answer to my last post perhaps i should
                  > drop the issue and move on, but first: It should be
                  > remembered by those on the digest scheme that Fora
                  > are arranged by Threads. Threads are easy to opt out
                  > of and contain their own subject matter, so why a
                  > narrow and capricious take on what may be posted?
                  > After all many have made 'off topic ' comments and
                  > will continue. Otoh this is a new beginning and a
                  > proper time and place to Institute...institutional
                  > utilities.
                  > That said, and hoping and 'controversy' is settled,
                  > noted that Fora have threads as a constituent and a
                  > proper differentiation pointed out, : I belong to a
                  > Forum for old cars ( to keep mine running). Everytime
                  > I go there there is at least one post from the
                  > ministers stating that For Sale items have their own
                  > page and a link give. This thread is posted Every
                  > dayin that forum. Explicitly, such a device can aid
                  > navigation tremendously as it can tip to a nav page
                  > and queries can be directected there.
                  > As it is the thread will jumble, perhaps that will
                  > make for more dedicated membership, there's generally
                  > a sort of yin to yang thing, but it also opens up some
                  > other probs.
                  > I hope someone is glad I didn't just bugger off.
                  > Hope some here can read the tea leaves.

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Ian Wood
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                    (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)

                    This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.

                    All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                    appropriate place:

                    (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                    Ian
                  • yuval_levy
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ian Wood <panolists@...> wrote:

                      > (Puts on shiny new moderators hat)
                      >
                      > This list is for shiny, happy people having fun discussing panoramas.
                      >
                      > All politics and/or list management topics should be discussed in the
                      > appropriate place:
                      >
                      > (Takes off shiny new moderators hat)

                      I think this is what Bazzer was trying to say to our exhuberant
                      anonymous newbie and I respect Bazzer for that. We know him and we
                      know he does not have flowers in his mouth. We know his panoramas work
                      and we know that he is often helpful with peer support online.

                      Not things that can be said about "de gava", who wonders why a Jew
                      with Italian as mother tongue and four additional languages under his
                      belt does not answer his off-topic posts and off-list provocations in
                      which his answer to a request for panorama related credential reads
                      like a dating ad?

                      People who have been around in this community long enough know me and
                      my panorama credentials. They also know that I don't have flowers in
                      my mouth either. I rather not answer the provocation than spit fire.

                      shiny happy people laughing.
                      Yuv
                    • de gava
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                        This is outrageous use of this list after the caution
                        given by this jerk to me!!! Bipolar is my guess. Loose
                        name dropping and putting words into other's mouths
                        seems alittle too 'happy' for me. He has my email and
                        is abusing the list and any staus mod or not within. I
                        take this as a personal attack as is generally grounds
                        for banning or a caution. And the Anti Jew Jew baiting
                        is extemely offensive.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Kathy Wheeler
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 13, 2006
                          I am sure I do not need to remind the good members of this list that
                          inflammatory posts, deliberate or otherwise, should not be responded
                          to either on list or off.

                          Regards,
                          KathyW.
                        • Flemming V. Larsen
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 14, 2006
                            Totally agree. As a wise person once said:

                            "Not until we understand, that deep down we really don't understand each
                            other, we can begin to understand"

                            so be polite and tolerant - and if you still want to bang your head on
                            somebody try some other place - perhaps here.....;-):
                            http://widelec.org/zidane.html

                            - Flemming ;-)