why is levelling a pano so difficult?

  • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
    Message 1 of 51 , Sep 25 6:32 AM
      One thing I see, when I see hundreds of panos a week by lots of different
      people (publishing on 360cities, or applying for membership on 360cities) is
      that many, MANY people have a lot of difficulty levelling a pano. by
      "levelling a pano" I mean, making sure that all vertical lines are vertical,
      and the horizon is perfectly flat, not curved.

      a few questions:

      1. off the top of my head, i don't know if ptgui/hugin/autpano/other
      software is recorded in exif - so that I can see immediately "oh he's using
      ptgui, i can tell him how to do X" is this the case?

      2. for autopano pro, has anyone created a tutorial to level a panorama? I
      think there are more autopano users who have this issue than ptgui users,
      but I didn't do any scientific analysis of this....

      3. am I the only one who thinks it would be nice to not even have to worry
      about leveling a pano during rendering, but also to have the choice of
      fixing it in the pano viewer (i.e. setting pitch/roll) - such a thing
      *could* be done in most flash viewers without too much trouble, I guess.

      4. why do hugin/ptgui/autopano have so much trouble with the "automagic"
      levelling? Don't get me wrong - the fact that it sometimes works is pretty
      magical. But still, in many cases, I see lots of vertical lines in a pano,
      yet the auto levelling fails. I"m sure this will only get better with time,
      but if anyone can go into detail about this, I'd be very interested to hear
      it.

      thanks,
      Jeffrey

      Jeffrey Martin
      tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 29 8:45 AM
        colchagua007 wrote:

        > I found that the spirit level on the tripod/monopod/panohead is only
        > good for the first 2 shot in the serie to be use for the panorama.
        > As the panohead is rotated, the panohead screws itself in an upward
        > motion to the original horizontal level; therefore you have to adjust
        > the level every couple of shots, making it very time consuming specially
        > if you are in a hurry.

        If this is the case the bubble level isn't mounted perpendicular to the
        rotation axis. What I wrote: The manufacturers don't pay much attention
        to bubble levels. And if the bubble level on the tripod changes if you
        turn the camera, the tripod is weak and apparently bends if the center
        of gravity is moved.

        While I agree with Luca and Willy that leveling a panorama manually is
        easy it spoils the idea of batch stitching from a precision head.

        And concerning the hot shoe of the camera: This is the least precise
        point to get the setup level. It might be relatively good in landscape
        orientation, but it can't be precise in portrait mode, since the part
        which sits in the shoe has to be narrower than the slot and hence can be
        turned a bit...

        best regards