PanoGoogle: the first VR Panorama search engine

  • marco trezzini
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 25, 2009
      Hi to all,
      just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com

      Far from being perfect, we believe it's still a big step in the right
      direction since the majority of results brings you to VR panorama
      pages. Using the standard Google search these results are also present
      but diluted among thousands or more non VR panorama related results.
      To make it simple you'll find VR panoramas easier and faster,
      therefore we believe the PanoGoogle Search Engine is a nice addition
      to the VR panorama community.

      Are you tired of frustrating searches in Google trying to find VR
      panoramas of a specific location or subject? Go to PanoGoogle.com,
      and your struggle will have an end.
      http://www.panogoogle.com

      If u have any questions, suggestions or critics, please check first
      the Q&A,
      start a discussion on the PanoGoogle Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PanoGoogle/121722635515
      ) or just drop us a mail.

      Try to find your panoramas searching for specific keywords you have on
      your pages,
      if u don't find your pages it might be that we didn't added yet your
      site to the searched sites index, in this case please drop us a mail
      to contact@... with your name and site url and we will
      check it and if all is fine add it to the index.

      all the best
      your
      Marco and the PanoGoogle team

    • marco trezzini
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
        Thanks a lot for the many emails suggesting missing sites ...
        we added them all since they met the guidelines, your help is greatly
        appreciated ;-)
        all the best
        your
        marco

        On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:45 PM, marco trezzini wrote:

        > Hi to all,
        > just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com
        >
        > Far from being perfect, we believe it's still a big step in the right
        > direction since the majority of results brings you to VR panorama
        > pages. Using the standard Google search these results are also present
        > but diluted among thousands or more non VR panorama related results.
        > To make it simple you'll find VR panoramas easier and faster,
        > therefore we believe the PanoGoogle Search Engine is a nice addition
        > to the VR panorama community.
        >
        > Are you tired of frustrating searches in Google trying to find VR
        > panoramas of a specific location or subject? Go to PanoGoogle.com,
        > and your struggle will have an end.
        > http://www.panogoogle.com
        >
        > If u have any questions, suggestions or critics, please check first
        > the Q&A,
        > start a discussion on the PanoGoogle Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PanoGoogle/121722635515
        > ) or just drop us a mail.
        >
        > Try to find your panoramas searching for specific keywords you have on
        > your pages,
        > if u don't find your pages it might be that we didn't added yet your
        > site to the searched sites index, in this case please drop us a mail
        > to contact@... with your name and site url and we will
        > check it and if all is fine add it to the index.
        >
        > all the best
        > your
        > Marco and the PanoGoogle team

      • bohonus
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

          > Hi to all,
          > just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com

          How does Google feel about you using their trademark for this?
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@...> wrote:

            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi to all,
            > > just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com
            > >

            > How does Google feel about you using their trademark for this?

            ??
            It is based on Google and to apply for that you have to supply a name.
            I assume they would have protested if they did not like it.
            http://www.stonetemple.com/articles/google-custom-search-engines.shtml

            Hans
          • bohonus
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "bohonus" <bradford@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi to all,
              > > > just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com
              > > >

              > > How does Google feel about you using their trademark for this?
              > >

              > ??
              > It is based on Google and to apply for that you have to supply a name.
              > I assume they would have protested if they did not like it.
              > http://www.stonetemple.com/articles/google-custom-search-engines.shtml
              >
              > Hans

              That doesn't seem to apply to domain names:

              From the "Domains" tab/section at:

              http://www.google.com/permissions/

              "We cannot approve the use of Internet domain names that use the word "Google" or some variation of "Google". For example, we would not approve a site called googleXYZ.com or gogggles.com."
            • marco trezzini
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                On Sep 28, 2009, at 11:59 AM, bohonus wrote:

                > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi to all,
                > > just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com
                > >

                > How does Google feel about you using their trademark for this?

                Good question, I really don't know. There's an ongoing endless legal
                discussion about if or not to google has become a verb or not,
                at some point, when the majority of people uses a brand name to define
                a common action, there's no way to enforce it anymore...
                question is if that time has already come....

                In any case, if they are bothered , they will tell me and I will deal
                with it at that time.
                Consider that I'm using Google CSE, they have all the infos about what
                I'm doing in their databases.
                In addition there are tons of sites using google in their domain name.

                the most extreme example is an ad (unfortunately I don't find the link
                to it anymore, it was really funny) for microsofts new search engine
                bing.com I saw a few months ago, it states google every 3 words, and
                to my knowledge nothing happened even there ...

                You seem very worried about the new "big brother" trademark .... is
                anything bothering you ...?

                all the best
                marco

              • Trausti Hraunfjord
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                  The legal aspect of it is of course a joke. If google "doesn't approve" of
                  anyone LEGALLY purchasing an available domain name (never held by anyone
                  before), then that's their right. They can however not LEGALLY do anything
                  about it. Their legal right on the google name in domains, in their case,
                  only covers the domains they have legally purchased and maintained.
                  Yes, I am aware of insane lawyers working for megalomaniatic corporations,
                  suing anyone and everyone for merely thinking about certain words
                  "belonging" to said corporations. It does only reflect a sick "justice
                  system" that is exploited by ruthless lawyers who would gladly sell their
                  children if they'd make a "profit" of it. Such lawsuits are normally ONLY
                  found in the US. I remember a case in Denmark where a man selling hotdogs
                  from a street-cart was sued by McDonalds. His "crime" was calling his
                  little hot-dog vending cart for "McAllan's". His name was Allan, and after
                  some Scottish thing in his life, his friends called him McAllan... and it
                  had absolutely nothing to do with McPuke burgers inc. First of all, it was
                  a crazy thing the lawsuit was accepted, but the outcome was of course that
                  McDonalds puke burger chain was told to mind their own business and stop
                  wasting public resources.

                  That is how things are done in sensible justice systems.

                  I welcome panogoogle as a great service, and wish the people behind all the
                  best in their endavours.

                  Trausti

                • kalpix_photo
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                    Another recent case of McDonald suing happened in Malaysia:

                    "Malaysia's Federal Court has ruled that McDonald's trademark name was not violated by McCurry, a local Indian restaurant which is popular in Kuala Lumpur.

                    McCurry, which opened in 1999, was sued by McDonald's in 2001. According to the owners of McCurry, the "Mc" prefix in the restaurant's name stands for Malaysian Chicken Curry."

                    Kal

                    >I remember a case in Denmark where a man selling hotdogs
                    > from a street-cart was sued by McDonalds. His "crime" was calling his
                    > little hot-dog vending cart for "McAllan's". His name was Allan, and after
                    > some Scottish thing in his life, his friends called him McAllan... and it
                    > had absolutely nothing to do with McPuke burgers inc. First of all, it was
                    > a crazy thing the lawsuit was accepted, but the outcome was of course that
                    > McDonalds puke burger chain was told to mind their own business and stop
                    > wasting public resources.
                    >
                    > That is how things are done in sensible justice systems.
                    >
                    > Trausti

                  • Keith Martin
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                      Sometime around 28/9/09 (at 09:26 -0500) Trausti Hraunfjord said:

                      >The legal aspect of it is of course a joke. If google "doesn't approve" of
                      >anyone LEGALLY purchasing an available domain name (never held by anyone
                      >before), then that's their right.

                      Actually, there is the issue of 'passing off'. If I registered
                      something like mymastercard.com and put financial info on it I
                      wouldn't be at all surprised if I was hit with a takedown notice of
                      some sort. And I would expect to lose in court if I fought it.

                    • bohonus
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

                        > On Sep 28, 2009, at 11:59 AM, bohonus wrote:
                        >
                        > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi to all,
                        > > > just a few lines to announce a new site: http://www.panogoogle.com
                        > > >

                        > > How does Google feel about you using their trademark for this?
                        > >
                        > Good question, I really don't know. There's an ongoing endless legal
                        > discussion about if or not to google has become a verb or not,
                        > at some point, when the majority of people uses a brand name to define
                        > a common action, there's no way to enforce it anymore...
                        > question is if that time has already come....
                        >
                        > In any case, if they are bothered , they will tell me and I will deal
                        > with it at that time.
                        > Consider that I'm using Google CSE, they have all the infos about what
                        > I'm doing in their databases.
                        > In addition there are tons of sites using google in their domain name.
                        >
                        > the most extreme example is an ad (unfortunately I don't find the link
                        > to it anymore, it was really funny) for microsofts new search engine
                        > bing.com I saw a few months ago, it states google every 3 words, and
                        > to my knowledge nothing happened even there ...
                        >
                        > You seem very worried about the new "big brother" trademark .... is
                        > anything bothering you ...?

                        I guess with all of the great imaginative projects you have created in the past, why even go this particular route of relying on another companies trademark to identify and bring traffic to yet another search-result-filler site filled with Google ads?

                        Do you plan on adding more functionality or added-value content to this new project?

                        > all the best
                        > marco

                      • marco trezzini
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                          On Sep 28, 2009, at 9:25 PM, bohonus wrote:

                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

                          > > > How does Google feel about you using their trademark for this?
                          > > >
                          > > Good question, I really don't know. There's an ongoing endless legal
                          > > discussion about if or not to google has become a verb or not,
                          > > at some point, when the majority of people uses a brand name to
                          > define
                          > > a common action, there's no way to enforce it anymore...
                          > > question is if that time has already come....
                          > >
                          > > In any case, if they are bothered , they will tell me and I will
                          > deal
                          > > with it at that time.
                          > > Consider that I'm using Google CSE, they have all the infos about
                          > what
                          > > I'm doing in their databases.
                          > > In addition there are tons of sites using google in their domain
                          > name.
                          > >
                          > > the most extreme example is an ad (unfortunately I don't find the
                          > link
                          > > to it anymore, it was really funny) for microsofts new search engine
                          > > bing.com I saw a few months ago, it states google every 3 words, and
                          > > to my knowledge nothing happened even there ...
                          > >
                          > > You seem very worried about the new "big brother" trademark .... is
                          > > anything bothering you ...?
                          >
                          > I guess with all of the great imaginative projects you have created
                          > in the past, why even go this particular route of relying on another
                          > companies trademark to identify and bring traffic to yet another
                          > search-result-filler site filled with Google ads?

                          After VRWay, VRMag, Vartist, ----
                          It has become a trend, PanoGames, PanoDigg, PanoGoogle ..... maybe
                          next will be panobohonus ;-)

                          if u would have read the Q&A as I suggested you would already had the
                          answer, but since you prefer be polemic for the pleasure of being it
                          here's the simple answer: my vision and dream since several years is a
                          human edited vr search engine, a project and concept I could never
                          convince to get the required funding to do so, so I did nothing until
                          one day, playing around with CSE I realized that even if far from what
                          I wanted to do, it was still better then nothing... so I did it,
                          that's all.
                          CSE comes with ads, only with the entreprise CSE version very
                          expensive if a lot of queries happen can be free of ads.

                          > Do you plan on adding more functionality or added-value content to
                          > this new project?

                          yes when I will have the resources to do so, for now getting as many
                          as possible VR sites in the index is a first step,

                          your
                          marco

                        • bohonus
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

                            > On Sep 28, 2009, at 9:25 PM, bohonus wrote:
                            >
                            > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@> wrote:

                            > > > Good question, I really don't know. There's an ongoing endless legal
                            > > > discussion about if or not to google has become a verb or not,
                            > > > at some point, when the majority of people uses a brand name to
                            > > define
                            > > > a common action, there's no way to enforce it anymore...
                            > > > question is if that time has already come....
                            > > >
                            > > > In any case, if they are bothered , they will tell me and I will
                            > > deal
                            > > > with it at that time.
                            > > > Consider that I'm using Google CSE, they have all the infos about
                            > > what
                            > > > I'm doing in their databases.
                            > > > In addition there are tons of sites using google in their domain
                            > > name.
                            > > >
                            > > > the most extreme example is an ad (unfortunately I don't find the
                            > > link
                            > > > to it anymore, it was really funny) for microsofts new search engine
                            > > > bing.com I saw a few months ago, it states google every 3 words, and
                            > > > to my knowledge nothing happened even there ...
                            > > >
                            > > > You seem very worried about the new "big brother" trademark .... is
                            > > > anything bothering you ...?
                            > >
                            > > I guess with all of the great imaginative projects you have created
                            > > in the past, why even go this particular route of relying on another
                            > > companies trademark to identify and bring traffic to yet another
                            > > search-result-filler site filled with Google ads?
                            >
                            > After VRWay, VRMag, Vartist, ----
                            > It has become a trend, PanoGames, PanoDigg, PanoGoogle ..... maybe
                            > next will be panobohonus ;-)
                            >
                            > if u would have read the Q&A as I suggested you would already had the
                            > answer, but since you prefer be polemic for the pleasure of being it

                            Your Q&A mentions nothing of the answer to my question actually. Which was-Why do you feel it is necessary to utilize another company's trademark in such an obvious manner? I don't see how that is being polemic in the slightest.

                            Did you feel that coming up with a different new name for the project was insufficient?

                            > here's the simple answer:
                            >my vision and dream since several years is a
                            > human edited vr search engine, a project and concept I could never
                            > convince to get the required funding to do so, so I did nothing until
                            > one day, playing around with CSE I realized that even if far from what
                            > I wanted to do, it was still better then nothing... so I did it,
                            > that's all.
                            > CSE comes with ads, only with the entreprise CSE version very
                            > expensive if a lot of queries happen can be free of ads.

                            Sure thing, a way to search the net for panoramas would be great of course- if more photo sharing/database sites would include panoramic imagery in ways that it could be easily found and viewed that would be even better. I have seen many include VR panoramas within Flickr's site, but it is more of a kludge. It would be much better for sites like that if it was more integrated no? Same goes for YouTube, etc etc. There certainly is always a need for more "vr panorama evangelism" to get folks turned on to this stuff.

                            After so many years, there still just seems to be not much of a "home" (both online and even in mindset) for these types of images that all of us spend so much time and effort to create other that what we make for ourselves, and I must admit, it is a bit of a bummer. Especially now that even Apple has even cut us off from the new Quicktime. I just know that all of these VR images that everyone has done will be of great value many years from now.. They are pictures and history after all. And that hopefully, they will not fall into obscurity- like stereograms did.... :(

                            > > Do you plan on adding more functionality or added-value content to
                            > > this new project?
                            >
                            > yes when I will have the resources to do so, for now getting as many
                            > as possible VR sites in the index is a first step,
                            >
                            > your
                            > marco

                          • Keith Martin
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009
                              Sometime around 28/9/09 (at 22:17 +0000) bohonus said:

                              >Why do you feel it is necessary to utilize another company's
                              >trademark in such an obvious manner?

                              Personally, I think the phrase "to google something" has been in
                              common parlance for quite some time now. Is it important? I mean, to
                              people other than Google's lawyers? :-)

                            • bohonus
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 28, 2009

                                > Sometime around 28/9/09 (at 22:17 +0000) bohonus said:
                                >
                                > >Why do you feel it is necessary to utilize another company's
                                > >trademark in such an obvious manner?
                                >
                                > Personally, I think the phrase "to google something" has been in
                                > common parlance for quite some time now. Is it important? I mean, to
                                > people other than Google's lawyers? :-)

                                Yes
                              • marco trezzini
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                  On Sep 29, 2009, at 12:17 AM, bohonus wrote:

                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

                                  > legal
                                  > > > define

                                  > > > deal
                                  > about
                                  > > > what
                                  > > > name.

                                  > the
                                  > > > link
                                  > engine
                                  > words, and

                                  > trademark .... is
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I guess with all of the great imaginative projects you have
                                  > created
                                  > > > in the past, why even go this particular route of relying on
                                  > another
                                  > > > companies trademark to identify and bring traffic to yet another
                                  > > > search-result-filler site filled with Google ads?
                                  > >
                                  > > After VRWay, VRMag, Vartist, ----
                                  > > It has become a trend, PanoGames, PanoDigg, PanoGoogle ..... maybe
                                  > > next will be panobohonus ;-)
                                  > >
                                  > > if u would have read the Q&A as I suggested you would already had
                                  > the
                                  > > answer, but since you prefer be polemic for the pleasure of being it
                                  >
                                  > Your Q&A mentions nothing of the answer to my question actually.
                                  > Which was-Why do you feel it is necessary to utilize another
                                  > company's trademark in such an obvious manner? I don't see how that
                                  > is being polemic in the slightest.
                                  >
                                  > Did you feel that coming up with a different new name for the
                                  > project was insufficient?

                                  I believe this name is appropriate, because it states very clearly for
                                  everybody what it is.
                                  And that''s exactly the point. I try to make myself clear with another
                                  example: Panodigg.
                                  behind the surface Panodigg is nothing else then a modified digg
                                  clone, and it's name
                                  is doing the opposite then trying to hide it. In my view this is a
                                  transparent way to not
                                  pretend to have created something new when you have done nothing else
                                  then copied an idea.

                                  When I create something new, a concept, a site etc ... I give it a new
                                  name, (think vrway, vrmag, arounder and all the others)
                                  because it deserves it, it might be that at some time have others will
                                  be using this new brand name in new names of projects.

                                  Panogoogle is a google custom search engine, restricted to only VR
                                  sites manually entered, which is nothing so special,
                                  just time-consuming ;-)
                                  BUT it works fine and is a useful tool, especially when all VR sites
                                  will be in the index.

                                  Therefore I don't feel I'm stealing google identity for doing big
                                  business because
                                  IT IS A GOOGLE CUSTOM SEARCH ENGINE nothing else.
                                  it's even written in the search field by google as well as in the
                                  result pages.

                                  Yes I could have called it VRsearch, which probably you would have
                                  liked more, but this in my view would be the right
                                  name for the project I could not yet realize.

                                  As usually people will decide, for now, from the responses and
                                  submissions I got it seems you are the only one having a problem with
                                  it, in democracy majority wins, and opponents are there to make us
                                  think, eventually re-evaluete decisions,
                                  but as I said in this case, I like this name, and don't see the problem.
                                  It just bothers me that you are having a problem with it, but I fear
                                  I will have to live with that for the time being.

                                  > > here's the simple answer:
                                  > >my vision and dream since several years is a
                                  > > human edited vr search engine, a project and concept I could never
                                  > > convince to get the required funding to do so, so I did nothing
                                  > until
                                  > > one day, playing around with CSE I realized that even if far from
                                  > what
                                  > > I wanted to do, it was still better then nothing... so I did it,
                                  > > that's all.
                                  > > CSE comes with ads, only with the entreprise CSE version very
                                  > > expensive if a lot of queries happen can be free of ads.
                                  >
                                  > Sure thing, a way to search the net for panoramas would be great of
                                  > course- if more photo sharing/database sites would include panoramic
                                  > imagery in ways that it could be easily found and viewed that would
                                  > be even better. I have seen many include VR panoramas within
                                  > Flickr's site, but it is more of a kludge. It would be much better
                                  > for sites like that if it was more integrated no? Same goes for
                                  > YouTube, etc etc. There certainly is always a need for more "vr
                                  > panorama evangelism" to get folks turned on to this stuff.

                                  the problem lies in the viewing technology, before it was .mov, could
                                  be anything, image video etc.. now flash, even worse ...
                                  tagging could solve but only if everybody, also retroactively, would
                                  use a common standard, very hard to achieve since
                                  the vr community could never agree even on a common name for these
                                  revolving things ....
                                  Don Bain suggested we all use VR panoramas, I agree with him. would we
                                  all do so, you would just need to search regular google site for VR
                                  panorama and get vr pages.

                                  > After so many years, there still just seems to be not much of a
                                  > "home" (both online and even in mindset) for these types of images
                                  > that all of us spend so much time and effort to create other that
                                  > what we make for ourselves, and I must admit, it is a bit of a
                                  > bummer. Especially now that even Apple has even cut us off from the
                                  > new Quicktime. I just know that all of these VR images that everyone
                                  > has done will be of great value many years from now.. They are
                                  > pictures and history after all. And that hopefully, they will not
                                  > fall into obscurity- like stereograms did.... :(

                                  You are damn right, but if only a portion of the passion intelligence
                                  and effort put into content creation would have been used for
                                  creating a strong global vr photographer/developer alliance pushing
                                  and endorsing projects like the one discussed above,
                                  we would be many steps ahead of where we are now. In this all the VR
                                  associations have completely failed their job,
                                  and I believe we have to blame ourselves as community, too.
                                  there's always time for endless discussions ... lots of ego, jalousy
                                  etc ... which makes it really difficult ...

                                  all the best
                                  your
                                  marco

                                • panovrx
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

                                    > And that''s exactly the point. I try to make myself clear with another
                                    > example: Panodigg.
                                    > behind the surface Panodigg is nothing else then a modified digg
                                    > clone, and it's name
                                    > is doing the opposite then trying to hide it. In my view this is a
                                    > transparent way to not
                                    > pretend to have created something new when you have done nothing else
                                    > then copied an idea.

                                    Actually it surprises me that Panodigg is still out there. There was a popular metasearch site for social bookmarking sites Digg, Slashdot and del.icio.us called diggdot.us and Digg made them change to doggdot.us and then they gave up and doggdot.us disappeared. I tried to think of other sites that had google in the name. There was a www.metagoogle.com but that has bit the dust.

                                    Peter M
                                  • panovrx
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009

                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > And that''s exactly the point. I try to make myself clear with another
                                      > > example: Panodigg.
                                      > > behind the surface Panodigg is nothing else then a modified digg
                                      > > clone, and it's name
                                      > > is doing the opposite then trying to hide it. In my view this is a
                                      > > transparent way to not
                                      > > pretend to have created something new when you have done nothing else
                                      > > then copied an idea.
                                      > >
                                      > Actually it surprises me that Panodigg is still out there. There was a popular metasearch site for social bookmarking sites Digg, Slashdot and del.icio.us called diggdot.us and Digg made them change to doggdot.us and then they gave up and doggdot.us disappeared. I tried to think of other sites that had google in the name. There was a www.metagoogle.com but that has bit the dust.
                                      >
                                      > Peter M

                                      more timewasting revealed that there are some nonGoogle "google" urls out there --
                                      eg. http://www.freegoogle.com
                                      http://www.mygooglekit.com
                                      so maybe if you stay off their radar you might be ok

                                      Peter M
                                    • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                        http://www.mygoogle.co.in/name/
                                        http://doggoogle.com/
                                        http://googlecraigslist.com/

                                        On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:10 AM, panovrx <panovrx@...> wrote:

                                        > I tried to think of other sites that had google in the name. There was a
                                        > www.metagoogle.com but that has bit the dust.
                                        >

                                        > Peter M

                                      • Hans
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009

                                          > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > And that''s exactly the point. I try to make myself clear with another
                                          > > example: Panodigg.
                                          > > behind the surface Panodigg is nothing else then a modified digg
                                          > > clone, and it's name
                                          > > is doing the opposite then trying to hide it. In my view this is a
                                          > > transparent way to not
                                          > > pretend to have created something new when you have done nothing else
                                          > > then copied an idea.
                                          > >
                                          > Actually it surprises me that Panodigg is still out there. There was a popular metasearch site for social bookmarking sites Digg, Slashdot and del.icio.us called diggdot.us and Digg made them change to doggdot.us and then they gave up and doggdot.us disappeared. I tried to think of other sites that had google in the name. There was a www.metagoogle.com but that has bit the dust.

                                          Digg does not have any patent on the name Digg, at least not outside US.
                                          http://www.digg.org.uk/
                                          http://digglicious.com/
                                          http://www.diggfront.com/
                                          http://www.digg.se/
                                          http://www.digg.no/
                                          http://www.digg.de/
                                          http://www.digg.nl/
                                          http://www.digg.fr/

                                          but it looks like they are trying.
                                          http://www.digg.dk/
                                          Text says. The page is closed because of legal proceedings

                                          Hans

                                        • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009

                                            > but it looks like they are trying.
                                            > http://www.digg.dk/

                                            when .fm domain became available somebody on my LUG cheekily registered
                                            capital.fm and were soon in receipt of solicitors' letters from capitalfm radio
                                            telling them to hand it over but it looks like capital dropped it.

                                            regards

                                            mick

                                          • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                              It is really crazy that lawsuits can arise over digital property rights,
                                              when the suing part has never ever owned the domain in question.

                                              I do however understand the problem if someone purchases a domain name, and
                                              makes it out as if the domain is the front for this or that service, with
                                              the intent of defrauding people or the company/service they pretend to
                                              represent. That is of course something that should be addressed with the
                                              help of the law.

                                              Otherwise... if someone... as in your example Mick... registers (first time)
                                              a domain like capital.fm, the right thing to do for capital, is not to sue,
                                              but to offer a reasonable purchasing price for the domain. IF capital had
                                              registered that domain initially, but somehow "lost" it due to too late
                                              renewal or some such, they can easily go through http://www.icann.org/ and
                                              get the domain back without any legal fees or actions.... at least that is
                                              what I have understood can be done.

                                              Trausti

                                            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                Quoting Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...>:

                                                > Otherwise... if someone... as in your example Mick... registers (first time)
                                                > a domain like capital.fm, the right thing to do for capital, is not to sue,
                                                > but to offer a reasonable purchasing price for the domain. IF capital had
                                                > registered that domain initially, but somehow "lost" it due to too late
                                                > renewal or some such, they can easily go through http://www.icann.org/ and
                                                > get the domain back without any legal fees or actions.... at least that is
                                                > what I have understood can be done.

                                                I read up on some of the court judgements at the time and it looked certain if
                                                it went to court the company would win. In England.

                                                regards

                                                mick

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                  There is also the case of Microsoft vs MikeRoweSoft.com

                                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_vs._MikeRoweSoft

                                                  On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM, kalpix_photo <kalpix@...> wrote:

                                                  > Another recent case of McDonald suing happened in Malaysia:
                                                  >
                                                  > "Malaysia's Federal Court has ruled that McDonald's trademark name was not
                                                  > violated by McCurry, a local Indian restaurant which is popular in Kuala
                                                  > Lumpur.
                                                  >
                                                  > McCurry, which opened in 1999, was sued by McDonald's in 2001. According to
                                                  > the owners of McCurry, the "Mc" prefix in the restaurant's name stands for
                                                  > Malaysian Chicken Curry."
                                                  >
                                                  > Kal
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                                  > Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > >I remember a case in Denmark where a man selling hotdogs
                                                  > > from a street-cart was sued by McDonalds. His "crime" was calling his
                                                  > > little hot-dog vending cart for "McAllan's". His name was Allan, and
                                                  > after
                                                  > > some Scottish thing in his life, his friends called him McAllan... and it
                                                  > > had absolutely nothing to do with McPuke burgers inc. First of all, it
                                                  > was
                                                  > > a crazy thing the lawsuit was accepted, but the outcome was of course
                                                  > that
                                                  > > McDonalds puke burger chain was told to mind their own business and stop
                                                  > > wasting public resources.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > That is how things are done in sensible justice systems.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Trausti

                                                • bohonus
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:

                                                    > Therefore I don't feel I'm stealing google identity for doing big
                                                    > business because
                                                    > IT IS A GOOGLE CUSTOM SEARCH ENGINE nothing else.
                                                    > it's even written in the search field by google as well as in the
                                                    > result pages.
                                                    >
                                                    > Yes I could have called it VRsearch, which probably you would have
                                                    > liked more, but this in my view would be the right
                                                    > name for the project I could not yet realize.
                                                    >
                                                    > As usually people will decide, for now, from the responses and
                                                    > submissions I got it seems you are the only one having a problem with
                                                    > it, in democracy majority wins, and opponents are there to make us
                                                    > think, eventually re-evaluete decisions,
                                                    > but as I said in this case, I like this name, and don't see the problem.
                                                    > It just bothers me that you are having a problem with it, but I fear
                                                    > I will have to live with that for the time being.

                                                    Marco, please. This has nothing to do with me, that is your own misperception. But rather Google's own Terms of Service that you agreed to when going forth with their CSE-

                                                    http://www.google.com/cse/docs/tos.html

                                                    It is clearly stated in section 2.2 that you are not to utilize the name that you have chosen in the manner that you are. It really is just as simple as that.

                                                    I am merely pointing this out to save you the trouble of having to change things further down the road, or even having your use of the CSE terminated by them.

                                                    Like I mentioned previously, a search for panoramic VR images is certainly a welcomed thing. Perhaps this might be something Google themselves may even integrate at some point in the future, who knows? Maybe even with your own involvement if that would even be an option. So with that in mind, what advantage is there really in starting such a partnership (by using Google's CSE) and then violating their own Terms of Service from the very beginning in such an obvious manner? Why even go there, when there is an open road in so many other directions? -as you yourself have often shown with other projects that you have been involved with?

                                                    Really, who cares if "other" sites are "doing it"... Have you looked at those sites? Why even be in that grouping of people doing that?
                                                  • moraféria
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                      The more simple it gets, the better it is!

                                                      Pano = Panorama
                                                      Google = search
                                                      PanoGoogle = search for panorama

                                                      - Simple
                                                      - works

                                                      Conclusion

                                                      - If it works, it´s brilliant!

                                                      Congratulations on the idea, from an outsider!

                                                      moraféria

                                                      2009/9/29 marco trezzini <3z@...>

> [...]
                                                      > > bummer. Especially now that even Apple has even cut us off from the
                                                      > > new Quicktime. I just know that all of these VR images that everyone
                                                      > > has done will be of great value many years from now.. They are
                                                      > > pictures and history after all. And that hopefully, they will not
                                                      > > fall into obscurity- like stereograms did.... :(
                                                      >
                                                      > You are damn right, but if only a portion of the passion intelligence
                                                      > and effort put into content creation would have been used for
                                                      > creating a strong global vr photographer/developer alliance pushing
                                                      > and endorsing projects like the one discussed above,
                                                      > we would be many steps ahead of where we are now. In this all the VR
                                                      > associations have completely failed their job,
                                                      > and I believe we have to blame ourselves as community, too.
                                                      > there's always time for endless discussions ... lots of ego, jalousy
                                                      > etc ... which makes it really difficult ...

                                                    • Mihai Stanescu
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                        Excuse me but i've read section 2.2 Can you pin-point exactly the phrase
                                                        that says he cannot use google name?
                                                        On the contrary.....

                                                        ""*Brand Features*" shall be defined as the trade names, trademarks, service
                                                        marks, logos, *DOMAIN NAME*, and other distinctive brand features of each
                                                        party, respectively, as secured by such party from time to time. Google
                                                        hereby *GRANTS* to You a nontransferable, nonsublicenseable, nonexclusive
                                                        license during the Term to display Google's Brand Features for the purpose
                                                        of promoting or advertising that You use the Service and for the purpose of
                                                        fulfilling Your obligations under Section 2.3 below."

                                                        Section 2.3

                                                        *2.3 Attribution*. The Search Box shall conspicuously display a graphic that
                                                        indicates that the Service is provided by Google. Google�s branding
                                                        guidelines at *http://www.google.com/cse/docs/branding.html*provide a set of
                                                        graphic options available. The graphic shall link to the Google site located
                                                        at *http://www.google.com* or such other address as Google may designate
                                                        from time to time during the Term.

                                                        Which the website clearly is conforming with...i can see its powered by
                                                        google custom search.

                                                        Am i missing something?

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Sep 29, 2009
                                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Mihai Stanescu <mihai.stanescu@...> wrote:

                                                          > Excuse me but i've read section 2.2 Can you pin-point exactly the phrase
                                                          > that says he cannot use google name?
                                                          > On the contrary.....
                                                          >
                                                          > ""*Brand Features*" shall be defined as the trade names, trademarks, service
                                                          > marks, logos, *DOMAIN NAME*, and other distinctive brand features of each
                                                          > party, respectively, as secured by such party from time to time. Google
                                                          > hereby *GRANTS* to You a nontransferable, nonsublicenseable, nonexclusive
                                                          > license during the Term to display Google's Brand Features for the purpose
                                                          > of promoting or advertising that You use the Service and for the purpose of
                                                          > fulfilling Your obligations under Section 2.3 below."
                                                          >
                                                          > Section 2.3
                                                          >
                                                          > *2.3 Attribution*. The Search Box shall conspicuously display a graphic that
                                                          > indicates that the Service is provided by Google. Google's branding
                                                          > guidelines at *http://www.google.com/cse/docs/branding.html*provide a set of
                                                          > graphic options available. The graphic shall link to the Google site located
                                                          > at *http://www.google.com* or such other address as Google may designate
                                                          > from time to time during the Term.
                                                          >
                                                          > Which the website clearly is conforming with...i can see its powered by
                                                          > google custom search.
                                                          >
                                                          > Am i missing something?

                                                          Yes you are. Read the LAST SENTENCE of section 2.2 please-

                                                          "At no time during or after the Term shall You challenge or assist others to challenge the Brand Features of Google (except to the extent such restriction is prohibited by law) or the registration thereof by Google, nor shall You attempt to register any Brand Features (including domain names) that are confusingly similar in any way (including but not limited to, sound, appearance and spelling) to those of Google."
                                                        • marco trezzini
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Sep 30, 2009
                                                            On Sep 29, 2009, at 4:10 PM, bohonus wrote:

                                                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, marco trezzini <3z@...> wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > > Therefore I don't feel I'm stealing google identity for doing big
                                                            > > business because
                                                            > > IT IS A GOOGLE CUSTOM SEARCH ENGINE nothing else.
                                                            > > it's even written in the search field by google as well as in the
                                                            > > result pages.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Yes I could have called it VRsearch, which probably you would have
                                                            > > liked more, but this in my view would be the right
                                                            > > name for the project I could not yet realize.
                                                            > >
                                                            > > As usually people will decide, for now, from the responses and
                                                            > > submissions I got it seems you are the only one having a problem
                                                            > with
                                                            > > it, in democracy majority wins, and opponents are there to make us
                                                            > > think, eventually re-evaluete decisions,
                                                            > > but as I said in this case, I like this name, and don't see the
                                                            > problem.
                                                            > > It just bothers me that you are having a problem with it, but I fear
                                                            > > I will have to live with that for the time being.
                                                            >
                                                            > Marco, please. This has nothing to do with me, that is your own
                                                            > misperception. But rather Google's own Terms of Service that you
                                                            > agreed to when going forth with their CSE-
                                                            >
                                                            > http://www.google.com/cse/docs/tos.html
                                                            >
                                                            > It is clearly stated in section 2.2 that you are not to utilize the
                                                            > name that you have chosen in the manner that you are. It really is
                                                            > just as simple as that.
                                                            >
                                                            > I am merely pointing this out to save you the trouble of having to
                                                            > change things further down the road, or even having your use of the
                                                            > CSE terminated by them.
                                                            >
                                                            > Like I mentioned previously, a search for panoramic VR images is
                                                            > certainly a welcomed thing. Perhaps this might be something Google
                                                            > themselves may even integrate at some point in the future, who
                                                            > knows? Maybe even with your own involvement if that would even be an
                                                            > option. So with that in mind, what advantage is there really in
                                                            > starting such a partnership (by using Google's CSE) and then
                                                            > violating their own Terms of Service from the very beginning in such
                                                            > an obvious manner? Why even go there, when there is an open road in
                                                            > so many other directions? -as you yourself have often shown with
                                                            > other projects that you have been involved with?
                                                            >
                                                            > Really, who cares if "other" sites are "doing it"... Have you looked
                                                            > at those sites? Why even be in that grouping of people doing that?

                                                            Dear Brad,
                                                            Sorry I answer only now but was busy with work....
                                                            I appreciate your concern, even if I have hard to understand why you
                                                            are so worried for me to spend all this time
                                                            with this discussion.
                                                            As I said before let's see what will happen, I'm curious about that.
                                                            I will keep you updated if something happens.
                                                            all the best
                                                            your
                                                            marco

                                                          • Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Oct 1, 2009
                                                              Just because a word becomes common parlance, it still might be a trademark.

                                                              If you start a company containing the word "xerox" you better expect a call
                                                              from xerox lawyers.

                                                              (note: "xerox" is synonymous with "photocopy" in the usa)

                                                              Jeffrey Martin
                                                              tel. +420 608 076 502 / skype jeffrey.s.martin

                                                              Re: PanoGoogle: the first VR Panorama search engine

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Oct 1, 2009
                                                                http://gizoogle.com/

                                                                :-D