Grand Central Station's Clock panorama

  • Jan Martin
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 18, 2009
      Don't You Dare Call the Inside of Grand Central Station's Clock Steampunk

      The New York Times sent a photographer inside Grand Central Station's
      biggest clock�the one on the facade, not the indoor one on the pedestal. He
      emerged with an amazing spherical panorama that could've easily been taken
      in 1928.

      http://gizmodo.com/5362751/dont-you-dare-call-the-inside-of-grand-central-stations-clock-steampunk
      http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/09/17/nyregion/20090917_clockroom_pano.html?em

    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 18, 2009
        Jan Martin wrote:
        > Don't You Dare Call the Inside of Grand Central Station's Clock Steampunk
        >
        > The New York Times sent a photographer inside Grand Central Station's
        > biggest clock—the one on the facade, not the indoor one on the pedestal. He
        > emerged with an amazing spherical panorama that could've easily been taken
        > in 1928.
        >
        > http://gizmodo.com/5362751/dont-you-dare-call-the-inside-of-grand-central-stations-clock-steampunk
        > http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/09/17/nyregion/20090917_clockroom_pano.html?em

        And almost no friggin buttons -- geeze -- what was the N.Y. Times
        thinking? Nothing to get in the way of
        the pano. Boy do they have a lot to learn...

        I mean, how will people know how to move the pano around????? I can see
        millions of dumbfounded people
        scratching their heads and screeching like monkeys...
      • Georgian Rusu
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
          "The Clock Tower" from the XIV century, had a wooden clock mechanism in 1604 that showed only the hours, but in  1649 was replaced and improved by Johann Kirschel with a metal clock mechanism and 2 sets of figurines (0.8 m) carved in lime wood. The figurines are representing Justice and Fairness, the Peace Goddess, the Day and Night, the Drummers, the Executioner and on a rotating platform there are the patronymic gods of days of the week. The present clock mechanism (1st April, 1906) was made by "J.J Fuchs & Sons" Swiss Company from Bern and is coupled to the electric installation. http://www.muzeusighisoara.com/engleza/salaceas.html

          "The Clock Tower" is hosting from 1899 the History Museum of Sighisoara, one of the most famous inhabited medieval fortress and one of the best preserved historical citadels, giving it the status of medieval capital of Romania and the inclusion in the UNESCO world heritage. http://www.muzeusighisoara.com/engleza/index.html

          360 panorama | http://www.tvd.ro/vrmap.ro/sighisoara/muzeuldeistorie.html

          1. The Clock Tower
          2. The Clock Tower's Balcony
          3&4. The Clock Mechanism
          5. Old prison's Torture Chamber

          Kind regards,
          Laurentiu
          http://www.tvd.ro/ | TeamVirtualDesign
          http://www.vrbrasov.ro/ | VirtualRealityBrasov

          Don't You Dare Call the Inside of Grand Central Station's Clock Steampunk

          The New York Times sent a photographer inside Grand Central Station's
          biggest clock葉he one on the facade, not the indoor one on the pedestal. He
          emerged with an amazing spherical panorama that could've easily been taken
          in 1928.

          http://gizmodo.com/5362751/dont-you-dare-call-the-inside-of-grand-central-stations-clock-steampunk
          http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/09/17/nyregion/20090917_clockroom_pano.html?em

          ------------------------------------

        • Scott Witte
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
            Ken Warner wrote:
            > And almost no friggin buttons -- geeze -- what was the N.Y. Times
            > thinking? Nothing to get in the way of
            > the pano. Boy do they have a lot to learn...

            And yet, my web programmer son point to NYT panos as what /we/ should be
            doing. He hates the "cluttered" buttons on pano look. Then again, even
            with all those buttons I am shocked how many people still don't realize
            the they can control a pano until it is explained to them. So many
            people are only use to passive experiences. Still others dive right in
            and truly need no buttons or explanations.

            Maybe it is a generational thing.

            BTW, did anyone find how to zoom in and out?

            Seems the NYT is programming their own viewer and the programmers can't
            be bothered to fully test it before deployment. Clicking the Full Screen
            button I get the Flash error, "ArgumentError: Error #1063: Argument
            count mismatch on PanoTabs/onToggleScreen(). Expected 0, got 1." That is
            a seriously basic bug.

            But the pano is cool!

            --
            Scott Witte
            ---------------------------------

          • Ken Warner
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
              Scott Witte wrote:
              > Ken Warner wrote:
              >
              >> And almost no friggin buttons -- geeze -- what was the N.Y. Times
              >> thinking? Nothing to get in the way of
              >> the pano. Boy do they have a lot to learn...
              >>

              > And yet, my web programmer son point to NYT panos as what /we/ should be
              > doing. He hates the "cluttered" buttons on pano look. Then again, even
              > with all those buttons I am shocked how many people still don't realize
              > the they can control a pano until it is explained to them. So many
              > people are only use to passive experiences. Still others dive right in
              > and truly need no buttons or explanations.
              >
              > Maybe it is a generational thing.
              >
              > BTW, did anyone find how to zoom in and out?
              >
              > Seems the NYT is programming their own viewer and the programmers can't
              > be bothered to fully test it before deployment. Clicking the Full Screen
              > button I get the Flash error, "ArgumentError: Error #1063: Argument
              > count mismatch on PanoTabs/onToggleScreen(). Expected 0, got 1." That is
              > a seriously basic bug.
              >
              > But the pano is cool!

              What I first wrote was (my weak attempt at) satire. I hate buttons.
              Have said so many times.
              Some people don't get satire and some people will never get panos even
              if you write in large,
              flashing, neon letters how to control it.

              So what's the solution? Make even bigger more obnoxious buttons until
              they are so big you can't even
              see the pano? Not a bad idea, that would save stitching anyway...
            • crane@ukonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                Quoting Scott Witte <scottwitte@...>:

                > Maybe it is a generational thing.

                you can read that 2 ways.
                when I first started browsing I looked something up, on what I forget, and 2
                results came up. I clicked on the first one and a page said
                "go away and don't come back"

                so I clicked on it again and my computer crashed :-)

                regards

                mick

              • Scott Witte
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                  Ken Warner wrote:
                  > What I first wrote was (my weak attempt at) satire. I hate buttons.

                  I don't understand satire. ;-)

                  You need a minimal number of buttons, IMO. At least full screen (if
                  available), zoom in/out (for those with no scroll wheel while in full
                  screen) and autorotate off/on, plus any special controls such as for
                  sound. Personally I see little purpose in directional buttons. Can't
                  imagine anyone using them over "click and drag". And personally I like
                  those buttons to essentially disappear after a short delay so they are
                  there if you need them but out of the way otherwise.

                  In the case of the NYT pano, since full screen doesn't work and they
                  care to let you zoom in/out all they really need is the autorotate
                  control. (They don't need a distracting bar across the entire top of the
                  pano.) But viewers miss out with such limited interaction.

                  Here is my take on the "generational" comment. Anyone who has played
                  computer games, especially first person shooters, instinctively knows
                  how to interact with panos and VR tours. Anyone who only uses a computer
                  for email and basic web searching will be at a loss until it is
                  explained to them. Then, within a minute most will get it and be
                  interacting away. From there on, most navigation "aids" become
                  superfluous, distracting and may just get in the way. Before then they
                  may serve as a hint that you can do more than just sit back and watch.

                  Interface design is a challenge....

                  Is nobody else bothered that you can't zoom in/out and that the Full
                  Screen button doesn't work in the NYT pano?

                  --
                  Scott Witte
                  ---------------------------------
                  *WITTE *ON* LOCATION*
                  Advertising Photography <http://www.scottwitte.com>
                  360 Virtual Tours <http://www.scottwitte.com/VR/>
                  414.345.9660
                  Member, IVRPA

                • Thomas Bredenfeld
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                    hi all gigapan members here on the list!

                    i can't find any informations about accepted file formats / restrictions
                    on gigapan.org.

                    i'm using uploader version 0.4.3865 on a mac pro (intel, 10.5.8) and
                    upload is aborting after about 8-10%

                    my image to upload is 0.433 GP and 82k x 5k. tried uploading as tiff
                    (w/zip and w/o)

                    any help here?

                    thanks!

                    thomas
                  • jann_lipka
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                      Yes Gigapan uploader for mac is a bit tricky - I recognize this problem - try LZW compression instead - I think I was also fiddling with Mac / PC byte order , and sometimes I had to resave my Tiff in PS CS3 ....

                      The largest I had success with uploading was just a dash above 1 Gpxl
                    • Hans
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Scott Witte <scottwitte@...> wrote:

                        > Is nobody else bothered that you can't zoom in/out and that the Full
                        > Screen button doesn't work in the NYT pano?

                        I have never had any problems with the Fullscreen at NYT.
                        Not in any browser on Mac and in Windows XP

                        No Zoom does not really bother me as I almost never use it unless I can see that this is a KRpano or a very large pano that may have some interesting details.

                        Hans
                      • erik_leeman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Jan Martin wrote:

                          > Don't You Dare Call the Inside of Grand Central Station's Clock
                          > Steampunk
                          >
                          > The New York Times sent a photographer inside Grand Central
                          > Station's biggest clock—the one on the facade, not the indoor one on
                          > the pedestal. He emerged with an amazing spherical panorama that
                          > could've easily been taken in 1928.

                          Amazing? Sorry, but I think it's rather poor in quality.
                          Plenty stitch errors, even in the mechanism of the clock itself, and a badly processed image in general.
                          It's nice to see the New York Times is interested in 360x180 degree VR photography though.

                          Cheers!

                          Erik Leeman

                          (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)
                        • Thomas Bredenfeld
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                            thanks for your advice, jann!

                            i continued to fiddle around with this issue while i'm waiting for some
                            answers ;-)

                            found a hint in a forum with recommending (photoshop) raw (not camera
                            raw of course) files with no header and interleaving byte order and this
                            naming scheme: "yourpanonamewithoutanyunderscores_WxH.raw" with "W" as
                            the width in pixels and "H as the height.

                            this worked fine for me without the need of downsizing or anything else.

                            the result can be seen here http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/33217/

                            thanks again

                            thomas

                            jann_lipka schrieb:

                            > Yes Gigapan uploader for mac is a bit tricky - I recognize this problem
                            > - try LZW compression instead - I think I was also fiddling with Mac /
                            > PC byte order , and sometimes I had to resave my Tiff in PS CS3 ....
                            >
                            > The largest I had success with uploading was just a dash above 1 Gpxl

                          • Pat Swovelin
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 20, 2009
                              On 9/20/2009 11:15 AM, Thomas Bredenfeld's hamster got loose on the
                              keyboard and typed ...:

                              FYI: When you want to change the subject you need to start a new thread
                              instead of changing the subject in a an existing thread. That's called
                              thread hijacking and is generally frowned on.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking

                              > hi all gigapan members here on the list!
                              >
                              > i can't find any informations about accepted file formats / restrictions
                              > on gigapan.org.
                              >
                              > i'm using uploader version 0.4.3865 on a mac pro (intel, 10.5.8) and
                              > upload is aborting after about 8-10%
                              >
                              > my image to upload is 0.433 GP and 82k x 5k. tried uploading as tiff
                              > (w/zip and w/o)
                              >
                              > any help here?
                              >
                              > thanks!
                              >
                              > thomas

                              Pat Swovelin
                              Cool Guy @ Large
                            • Pat Swovelin
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 21, 2009
                                On 9/20/2009 10:15 AM, Scott Witte's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                and typed ...:
                                > Ken Warner wrote:
                                >> And almost no friggin buttons -- geeze -- what was the N.Y. Times
                                >> thinking? Nothing to get in the way of
                                >> the pano. Boy do they have a lot to learn...
                                >>
                                > And yet, my web programmer son point to NYT panos as what /we/ should be
                                > doing. He hates the "cluttered" buttons on pano look. Then again, even
                                > with all those buttons I am shocked how many people still don't realize
                                > the they can control a pano until it is explained to them. So many
                                > people are only use to passive experiences.

                                And that's *exactly* why autorotation is a bad idea. People see it and
                                think it's a movie and will sit on their butts and simply watch it
                                instead of interacting with the pano (which is the whole point of VR in
                                the first place). If you're going to do that why not simply shoot video
                                and save yourself a lot of time and trouble?

                                Your son is right about having a clean interface. You don't need all of
                                that crap in the way of the pano and certainly not in the way of your
                                photography. Do you really want people to see your work through a soda
                                straw? That's why I use a explanatory/instructional screen that's only
                                in the way (you're forced to read and clear it to be able to see
                                anything) when a new tour is loaded (it can be recalled later if needed)
                                and self-hiding controls that are visible when the tour first loads.
                                Plus there are 2 once-only flags pointing out the 2 significant buttons
                                in the nav bar.

                                The autorotation speed I use serves two purposes, it's slow enough to
                                allow the site visitor to take in the details of the scene in front of
                                them (if you were a Camera Operator on a feature film and you panned the
                                camera at the same speed you see in most autorotating panos you'd get a
                                stern talking to by the Director of Photography and if you did it again
                                the next day you'd be axed. Period.) while at the same time it's slow
                                enough to force them to take control and explore the pano for themselves.

                                This is what I'm talking about http://tinyurl.com/nxwg5j

                                --
                                Pat Swovelin
                                Cool Guy @ Large
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 21, 2009
                                  hi pat, hi list!

                                  i'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. i replied to an arbitrary message,
                                  removed the subject and all of the body (always working with text-only
                                  mails). usually this works.

                                  is it possible that a kind of secret id (or something like this) is
                                  invisibly left making my message unintentionally occur in this thread?

                                  obviously i should start with a plain new message and only the mail
                                  address of the list in it...

                                  ---

                                  anyway, sorry for the noise ;-)

                                  cheers
                                  thomas

                                  Pat Swovelin schrieb:

                                  > On 9/20/2009 11:15 AM, Thomas Bredenfeld's hamster got loose on the
                                  > keyboard and typed ...:
                                  >
                                  > FYI: When you want to change the subject you need to start a new thread
                                  > instead of changing the subject in a an existing thread. That's called
                                  > thread hijacking and is generally frowned on.
                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking
                                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking>
                                  >
                                  > > hi all gigapan members here on the list!
                                  > >
                                  > > i can't find any informations about accepted file formats / restrictions
                                  > > on gigapan.org.
                                  > >
                                  > > i'm using uploader version 0.4.3865 on a mac pro (intel, 10.5.8) and
                                  > > upload is aborting after about 8-10%
                                  > >
                                  > > my image to upload is 0.433 GP and 82k x 5k. tried uploading as tiff
                                  > > (w/zip and w/o)
                                  > >
                                  > > any help here?
                                  > >
                                  > > thanks!
                                  > >
                                  > > thomas
                                  >
                                  > Pat Swovelin
                                  > Cool Guy @ Large

                                • Hans
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 21, 2009
                                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:

                                    > The autorotation speed I use serves two purposes, it's slow enough to
                                    > allow the site visitor to take in the details of the scene in front of
                                    > them (if you were a Camera Operator on a feature film and you panned the
                                    > camera at the same speed you see in most autorotating panos you'd get a
                                    > stern talking to by the Director of Photography and if you did it again
                                    > the next day you'd be axed. Period.) while at the same time it's slow
                                    > enough to force them to take control and explore the pano for themselves.
                                    >
                                    > This is what I'm talking about http://tinyurl.com/nxwg5j

                                    I am a very patient person but if I should use your autorotation speed to see your pano I would need 36 minutes. Estimated form 30 degree rotation.

                                    There is no general autorotation speed that can be used,
                                    Processor speed , browser, screen size/display size , settings for quality, flash version all affect it and it can differ more than 1000% on different computers.

                                    Hans
                                  • Pat Swovelin
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 21, 2009
                                      On 9/21/2009 1:25 AM, Hans's hamster got loose on the keyboard and typed
                                      ...:
                                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Pat Swovelin <Panoramas@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> The autorotation speed I use serves two purposes, it's slow enough to
                                      >> allow the site visitor to take in the details of the scene in front of
                                      >> them (if you were a Camera Operator on a feature film and you panned the
                                      >> camera at the same speed you see in most autorotating panos you'd get a
                                      >> stern talking to by the Director of Photography and if you did it again
                                      >> the next day you'd be axed. Period.) while at the same time it's slow
                                      >> enough to force them to take control and explore the pano for themselves.
                                      >>
                                      >> This is what I'm talking about http://tinyurl.com/nxwg5j
                                      >
                                      > I am a very patient person but if I should use your autorotation speed
                                      > to see your pano I would need 36 minutes. Estimated form 30 degree
                                      > rotation.
                                      >
                                      > There is no general autorotation speed that can be used,
                                      > Processor speed , browser, screen size/display size , settings for
                                      > quality, flash version all affect it and it can differ more than 1000%
                                      > on different computers.

                                      Exactly my point, it forces the site visitor to take control (or die of
                                      boredom) and *interact* with the pano, which, as I said, is the whole
                                      point of VR.

                                      > Hans

                                      Pat Swovelin
                                      Cool Guy @ Large
                                    • Pat Swovelin
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 21, 2009
                                        On 9/21/2009 1:08 AM, Thomas Bredenfeld's hamster got loose on the
                                        keyboard and typed ...:
                                        > hi pat, hi list!
                                        >
                                        > i'm sorry, that wasn't my intention. i replied to an arbitrary message,
                                        > removed the subject and all of the body (always working with text-only
                                        > mails). usually this works.

                                        These are text-only messages, all HTML, images and attachments are
                                        stripped by Yahoo's servers.

                                        > is it possible that a kind of secret id (or something like this)

                                        Now that you mention it there is ... but unfortunately you didn't use
                                        the secret handshake so your message was rejected. =8^)

                                        > is invisibly left making my message unintentionally occur in this thread?

                                        It's not the subject that determines what thread a message is in, it's
                                        the message that was replied to. They're linked by information in the
                                        message's header.

                                        > obviously i should start with a plain new message and only the mail
                                        > address of the list in it...
                                        >
                                        > ---
                                        >
                                        > anyway, sorry for the noise ;-)

                                        No harm, not foul. Now you know how it works.

                                        > cheers
                                        > thomas
                                        >
                                        > Pat Swovelin schrieb:
                                        >>

                                        >> On 9/20/2009 11:15 AM, Thomas Bredenfeld's hamster got loose on the
                                        >> keyboard and typed ...:
                                        >>
                                        >> FYI: When you want to change the subject you need to start a new thread
                                        >> instead of changing the subject in a an existing thread. That's called
                                        >> thread hijacking and is generally frowned on.
                                        >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking
                                        >> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DonDiego/Thread_hijacking>
                                        >>
                                        >> > hi all gigapan members here on the list!
                                        >> >
                                        >> > i can't find any informations about accepted file formats /
                                        >> restrictions
                                        >> > on gigapan.org.
                                        >> >
                                        >> > i'm using uploader version 0.4.3865 on a mac pro (intel, 10.5.8) and
                                        >> > upload is aborting after about 8-10%
                                        >> >
                                        >> > my image to upload is 0.433 GP and 82k x 5k. tried uploading as tiff
                                        >> > (w/zip and w/o)
                                        >> >
                                        >> > any help here?
                                        >> >
                                        >> > thanks!
                                        >> >
                                        >> > thomas

                                        Pat Swovelin
                                        Cool Guy @ Large
                                      • Scott Witte
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 27, 2009
                                          Pat,

                                          Well put and overall I have to agree.

                                          Re: Autorotation. I dislike it as well, but a couple times I provided
                                          proofs to clients without autorotation only to find that most in their
                                          marketing department, even the web designer(s), often didn't understand
                                          that they could make the "still" image move. They felt something was
                                          needed to let viewers know that the image wasn't still. So I added an
                                          initial autorotation but on first interaction with the pano it turns off
                                          entirely. You can still turn it back on by clicking the autorotation
                                          toggle, if desired. So, nearly the same approach as you but I've left
                                          the rotation a little faster.

                                          I also like an uncluttered screen and am still experimenting with
                                          various options on that. I don't have direction buttons now, for
                                          instance. Can't imagine anyone using them, certainly not once they
                                          realize they can just click and drag the image. In my case, rather than
                                          having the buttons disappear totally and suddenly I have them fade to a
                                          subtle 10% alpha after a short delay.

                                          But I still have a hard time with the NYT interface. The only control
                                          you have is full screen and autorotation. That really limits interaction
                                          just to get a cleaner screen. But they do have those two bold buttons on
                                          a very big bar that stands out more than needed. Doesn't work so well
                                          for me. OK. My opinion and preference, for what its worth.

                                          As for the sloppy programming of the viewer. It may only show up if you
                                          are using the debug Flash player. Going to full screen throws an error,
                                          displaying a message that apparently prevents going to full screen. If
                                          that doesn't happen with the standard Flash player you might ask, "who
                                          cares", but from a programming point of view it is very sloppy.

                                          As always, Pat, love your pano work and the interface works for me.

                                          --
                                          Scott Witte
                                          *WITTE *ON* LOCATION*
                                          Advertising Photography <http://www.scottwitte.com>