Geotaging panorama - heading

  • jan.kudr
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
      Hello, I am curious, if is possible to geotag photos with heading of the camera? using some Garmin GPS or other solution?

      thank you very much
      Jan
    • Jan Martin
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
        Jan,

        this subject has been discussed before:

        There is no way of doing so automatically for just one picture, because
        there is no device that records the heading. A few however will show the
        heading even when standing still by using a relative unreliable (build-in
        electronic) compass.

        Best you can do is take two pictures and interpolate the heading from the
        GPS "course", given that you "look" the same way as you were "heading".

        Manually one can always start a panorama by taking a picture straight north
        first, then do the math (or whatever) later.

        Jan

        On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM, jan.kudr <honza@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I am curious, if is possible to geotag photos with heading of the
        > camera? using some Garmin GPS or other solution?
        >
        > thank you very much
        > Jan

      • Serge Maandag
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 13, 2009
          > Hello, I am curious, if is possible to geotag photos with heading of the
          > camera? using some Garmin GPS or other solution?

          I have a Solmeta Geotagger N2 attached to my D300. it writes the heading
          to exif along with the coordinates. Example from an Exif tag:

          GPSImgDirection = 316.80
          GPSImgDirectionRef = Magnetic direction

          You can probably add/edit these tags in most exif editors.

          There's surprisingly little software that uses heading information in the
          exif tag. I use it myself to set the radar in my krpano plugin and to set
          the orientation of panoramas in the kml file if you click "view in Google
          earth" on my site.

          Serge.
          http://360photo.org/
        • _kfj
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Serge Maandag" <panotools@...> wrote: ...
            > I have a Solmeta Geotagger N2 attached to my D300. ...
            I had a look at the product description at Solmeta's Website. Seems like it only works with Nikon cameras? I have a Canon. Their Geotagger Pro seems to go even further as it is specified to also record pitch and roll of the camera - but it may be vaporware since it 'is NOT available now' ?! (as is the manual which might reveal more about this piece of equipment). In the N2's manual it says that the accuracy of the heading data is 5 degrees, which would make a figure with two postcomma digits look a little funny - so can it only give a rough estimate of the true heading? What's your experience with it?
            Once the technology is there, we'd be closer to having a tag of what we're looking at rather than of the place from where we're looking at it...
          • Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
              That's another issue that I am monitoring closely.
              Seems kind of obvious that having a way to precisely record in the exif
              info of every picture the heading, pitch and roll along with the GPS
              coordinates would be useful for photographers, but no, I am having a
              hard time finding an affordable solution for that.
              In my dreams I would capture the exif info of the first frame on a
              panorama and by using a script I could level the panorama with
              acceptable precision automatically ;-)
              Ain't happening any day soon I am afraid.

              Os melhores cumprimentos,
              Best regards,

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

              Carlos Chegado

              Olho de Peixe Lda

              _kfj escreveu:

              > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Serge Maandag"
              > <panotools@...> wrote: ...
              > > I have a Solmeta Geotagger N2 attached to my D300. ...
              > I had a look at the product description at Solmeta's Website. Seems
              > like it only works with Nikon cameras? I have a Canon. Their Geotagger
              > Pro seems to go even further as it is specified to also record pitch
              > and roll of the camera - but it may be vaporware since it 'is NOT
              > available now' ?! (as is the manual which might reveal more about this
              > piece of equipment). In the N2's manual it says that the accuracy of
              > the heading data is 5 degrees, which would make a figure with two
              > postcomma digits look a little funny - so can it only give a rough
              > estimate of the true heading? What's your experience with it?
              > Once the technology is there, we'd be closer to having a tag of what
              > we're looking at rather than of the place from where we're looking at
              > it...

            • _kfj
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
                The device we'd need would be an inclinometer (I feel the heading is not quite as important as the roll and pitch). I've done a bit of tentative surfing for inclinometers - electronic ones seem to be common enough - didn't see any prices - weigh in some 100 - 200g
                so I can't see why it should be so hard to either integrate them into a GPS mouse or have them stand-alone and recording a track to later augment the EXIF data. These devices seemed to be quite precise (+/- tenths of degrees...)

                best regards
                KFJ

                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com" <carloschegado@...> wrote:

                > That's another issue that I am monitoring closely.
                > Seems kind of obvious that having a way to precisely record in the exif
                > info of every picture the heading, pitch and roll along with the GPS
                > coordinates would be useful for photographers, but no, I am having a
                > hard time finding an affordable solution for that.
                > In my dreams I would capture the exif info of the first frame on a
                > panorama and by using a script I could level the panorama with
                > acceptable precision automatically ;-)
                > Ain't happening any day soon I am afraid.
                >
                > Os melhores cumprimentos,
                > Best regards,
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                >
                > Carlos Chegado
                >
                > Olho de Peixe Lda
                >

                > _kfj escreveu:
                > >

                > > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Serge Maandag"
                > > <panotools@> wrote: ...
                > > > I have a Solmeta Geotagger N2 attached to my D300. ...
                > > I had a look at the product description at Solmeta's Website. Seems
                > > like it only works with Nikon cameras? I have a Canon. Their Geotagger
                > > Pro seems to go even further as it is specified to also record pitch
                > > and roll of the camera - but it may be vaporware since it 'is NOT
                > > available now' ?! (as is the manual which might reveal more about this
                > > piece of equipment). In the N2's manual it says that the accuracy of
                > > the heading data is 5 degrees, which would make a figure with two
                > > postcomma digits look a little funny - so can it only give a rough
                > > estimate of the true heading? What's your experience with it?
                > > Once the technology is there, we'd be closer to having a tag of what
                > > we're looking at rather than of the place from where we're looking at
                > > it...

              • panovrx
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009
                  --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "_kfj" <_kfj@...> wrote:

                  > The device we'd need would be an inclinometer (I feel the heading is not quite as important as the roll and pitch). I've done a bit of tentative surfing for inclinometers - electronic ones seem to be common enough - didn't see any prices - weigh in some 100 - 200g
                  > so I can't see why it should be so hard to either integrate them into a GPS mouse or have them stand-alone and recording a track to later augment the EXIF data. These devices seemed to be quite precise (+/- tenths of degrees...)
                  >
                  > best regards
                  I have a Crossbow inclinometer which is a serial device. You can get serial to Bluetooth gadgets if you want to make it wireless. Inclinometers vary with regard to sensitivity, repeatability and settle time. Long settle time = more accuracy. Having a programmable tradeoff between sensitivity and settle time is important. Short settle time (ie strongly damped) means less accuracy. Crossbox inclinometers are rather large compared with others but the logging software is easy to use. There must be cheaper USB ones now or use an Iphone inclinometer app
                  eg. http://www.plaincode.com/products/clinometer/
                  Peter M
                • Carlos Chegado - www.carloschegado.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Actually, the heading doesn't give problems ;-)

                    I can interpolate that from my GPS data since I need this for my
                    Drivepano project and the car is always moving I can get pretty accurate
                    heading information, roll and pitch it's a different story, but I will
                    be in the look out for inclinometers, thanks.

                    Os melhores cumprimentos,
                    Best regards,

                    Carlos Chegado

                    Olho de Peixe Lda