Re: Surgical Precision Laser Guided Nadir Bo... errr, Shooting

  • panoramicsdk
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
      --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

      > I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be good for.
      > It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
      > If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will be pointing down at an angle.
      > Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?
      >
      > Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very small and adjustable for alignment.
      > http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html

      I want it for taking the nadir.
      I always take the Nadir by setting the panohead at -60 degree and lean the tripod.
      With a laserpointer + a level on the camera you can easy take the nadir at almost perfect NPP.
      Like this http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/nadir6.jpg
      The laserpointer will make it easier than the measure tape but you need to level the camera 90 degree down.

      More here.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/

      Hans
    • Ken Warner
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
        Sort of adds new meaning to the phrase, "...shoot some panos..."

        onezebra1 wrote:
        > I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be good for.
        > It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
        > If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will be pointing down at an angle.
        > Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?
        >
        > Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very small and adjustable for alignment.
        > http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html
        >
        > Roger Berry

      • erik_leeman
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
          WOW! Just imagine the acceleration that poor laser and its batteries have to endure on that pistol slide!

          First I contemplated a slide-on viewfinder mount, with the laserbeam working truly co-axial in the opposite direction through the camera and lens. But with the SLR mirror (no, not 'Self Loading Rifle') being semi-translucent I had second thoughts about where some of that light might end up inside the camera, and how much of it would leak past the flipped-up mirror during exposure.

          Then it occurred to me that with enough offset it could actually project a dot on the ground with the camera still mounted on the tripod, pointing it down using the (Nodal Ninja) pano head. Of course I have to allow for parallax, but with the optical axis and laser being parallel that offset is always the same, no matter the distance to the ground. If I mark that 'dotspot', I can easily find it again with the laser-equipped camera mounted on my monopod for the unobstructed nadir shot.

          If I point my 5D at a distant(!) wall, the laser dot is centered inside the little square in the viewfinder. That's accurate enough for me.

          Cheers!

          Erik Leeman

          (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" wrote:

          > I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be
          > good for.
          > It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
          > If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will
          > be pointing down at an angle.
          > Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?
          >
          > Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very
          > small and adjustable for alignment.
          > http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html
          >
          > Roger Berry
        • padraiccollins
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
            An alternative is using the Leica Disto 2. It already has a camera mount so just attach a hot-shoe mount and off you go.

            http://ptd.leica-geosystems.com/en/Laser-Distancemeter-Leica-DISTO-D2_69656.htm

            Added advantage of being able to measure exact distance from mount to ground (plus/minus 1.5mm)

            Patrick Collins
          • luca vascon
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
              yesss.
              Not cheap but good!!!

              --
              Luca Vascon.

              www.canalview.it
              www.officinepanottiche.com

            • jrgen_schrader
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                Same has my Bosch DLE 50 :)
                Might give it a try once I find a way to turn the camera with no effort away from the tripod at the same height.
                Meanwhile handheld or viewpoint-correction must do ;)

                Best,
                Jürgen

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                  But then you would need three hands to shoot the nadir like Erik does --
                  or two very fast ones.

                  Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters" They
                  use a similar idea to
                  indicate the altitude of a low flying plane to the pilot. In the move
                  they use two spot lights
                  one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when the
                  spots converge into
                  one spot on the surface below, the plane is flying at exactly the right
                  altitude.

                  You could do a similar thing by adding another laser on the bottom of
                  the camera and
                  tilting them both to converge on you exact nadir point. That way you
                  get both position
                  and distance.

                  padraiccollins wrote:
                  > An alternative is using the Leica Disto 2. It already has a camera mount so just attach a hot-shoe mount and off you go.
                  >
                  > http://ptd.leica-geosystems.com/en/Laser-Distancemeter-Leica-DISTO-D2_69656.htm
                  >
                  > Added advantage of being able to measure exact distance from mount to ground (plus/minus 1.5mm)
                  >
                  > Patrick Collins

                • erik_leeman
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                    Haha! Thats exactly where I got my inspiration from!
                    (and the idea for title of the thread)
                    As I mentioned before I'll try adding a second laser with an adjustable mount to gauge the height. I'll continue to level the monopod and camera using a spirit level like I do now.

                    Just two simple laser pointers: dirt cheap and super effective!

                    With two more beams you could perhaps also tackle tilt, but I'm not convinced it would be very practical.

                    Erik Leeman

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                    > ...snip
                    > Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters"
                    > They use a similar idea to indicate the altitude of a low flying
                    > plane to the pilot. In the move they use two spot lights
                    > one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when
                    > the spots converge into one spot on the surface below, the plane is
                    > flying at exactly the right altitude.
                    > ...snip
                  • Ken Warner
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                      This idea just crashed into my brain...

                      What if you made the bracket so that it fitted into a standard tripod
                      hole and then find a way to screw
                      it onto the knob that holds the camera on an NN3/5? That way anybody
                      with an NN3/5 could *BUY* one
                      from you.

                      erik_leeman wrote:
                      > Haha! Thats exactly where I got my inspiration from!
                      > (and the idea for title of the thread)
                      > As I mentioned before I'll try adding a second laser with an adjustable mount to gauge the height. I'll continue to level the monopod and camera using a spirit level like I do now.
                      >
                      > Just two simple laser pointers: dirt cheap and super effective!
                      >
                      > With two more beams you could perhaps also tackle tilt, but I'm not convinced it would be very practical.
                      >
                      > Erik Leeman
                      >

                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                      >
                      >> ...snip
                      >> Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters"
                      >> They use a similar idea to indicate the altitude of a low flying
                      >> plane to the pilot. In the move they use two spot lights
                      >> one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when
                      >> the spots converge into one spot on the surface below, the plane is
                      >> flying at exactly the right altitude.
                      >> ...snip

                    • klroost
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                        ..and here I was thinking Imatronics patented the use of photons in general..

                        > Well, Imatronics patented the use of lasers in January :-)
                        >
                        > Pat Swovelin wrote:
                        > > On 9/2/2009 11:21 AM, erik_leeman's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                        > > and typed ...:
                        > >
                        > >> A patent!, Dang! I knew I forgot something!
                        > >>

                        > > Too late, I filed the paperwork an hour ago. =8^)
                        > >

                        > >> :D
                        > >>
                        > >> Cheers!
                        > >>
                        > >> Erik Leeman

                        > > Pat Swovelin
                        > > Cool Guy @ Large

                      • Trausti Hraunfjord
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                          You might be right about that.
                          I just bought 2 keychain lasers.These are "Made In China"... next door to
                          Patentronics
                          But I doubt these being made by, or under license of Patentronics, based on
                          the following observations:

                          1. Product is not overly spammed with printed patent claims... actually
                          there is no patent claim to be found.
                          2. Product price is not what one would expect from above mentioned source...
                          at only $2 per unit with 12 different display options (heart shaped skins
                          come to mind, when checking out the displays, ranging from a swastica (!) to
                          christmas tree)
                          3. Printed information on the package is factual and informative without
                          self-glorifying scripture.
                          4. Product works as indicated, for both Mac and PC users.

                          Now I will have to think about the best way to put these into use with the
                          camera and head/nadir shot boom.

                          Patent infringement claims can be sent to MADE IN CHINA... which is the only
                          indication of a company name on the packages.

                          On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM, klroost <etterz@...> wrote:

                          > ..and here I was thinking Imatronics patented the use of photons in
                          > general..

                        • michel thoby
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                            Ken, Erik, ...

                            Le 3 sept. 09 à 19:30, Ken Warner a écrit :

                            > Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters"
                            > They
                            > use a similar idea to
                            > indicate the altitude of a low flying plane to the pilot. In the move
                            > they use two spot lights
                            > one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when
                            > the
                            > spots converge into
                            > one spot on the surface below, the plane is flying at exactly the
                            > right
                            > altitude.
                            >
                            > You could do a similar thing by adding another laser on the bottom of
                            > the camera and
                            > tilting them both to converge on you exact nadir point. That way you
                            > get both position
                            > and distance.

                            I remember having designed and made such fun things. I successfully
                            tested some prototypes during Summer of 2005:
                            - Version with one LASER pointer: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/
                            Krampouz/LASER+Level.jpg
                            - Version with two LASER pointers that are mounted apart on the same
                            support. That support was inserted in the groves of the spirit level.
                            The spirit level was then inserted in the flash shoe:
                            http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Krampouz/Laserometre.JPG
                            Should have I filled the paper works to apply for a patent?

                            Michel

                          • luca vascon
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                              I was just saying
                              "no matter how hard you do invent something, Michel Thoby already did it,
                              and if you are really clever he is just doing the same thing"
                              :-D

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                                Quoting michel thoby <thobymichel@...>:

                                > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Krampouz/Laserometre.JPG
                                > Should have I filled the paper works to apply for a patent?
                                absolutely.
                                In England there is now a call for patent infringement to be a criminal offence.
                                and so you could maybe have all these posters jailed ;-)

                                regards

                                mick

                              • Pat Swovelin
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                                  On 9/4/2009 12:06 AM, luca vascon's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                  and typed ...:
                                  > I was just saying
                                  > "no matter how hard you do invent something, Michel Thoby already did it,
                                  > and if you are really clever he is just doing the same thing"

                                  *Never* try to compete with a rocket scientist because it won't turn out
                                  well.

                                  Unless, of course, you were smart enough to bet *on* the rocket
                                  scientist. =8^)

                                  > :-D

                                  Pat Swovelin
                                  Cool Guy @ Large