Re: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Surgical Precision Laser Guided Nadir Bo... errr, Shooting

  • Pat Swovelin
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
      On 9/2/2009 11:21 AM, erik_leeman's hamster got loose on the keyboard
      and typed ...:
      > A patent!, Dang! I knew I forgot something!

      Too late, I filed the paperwork an hour ago. =8^)

      > :D
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Erik Leeman
      >

      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" wrote:
      >> Here's a simple little gadget I wish was available in the shops.
      >> That sure would have saved me quite some time filing and drilling
      >> in the shed last weekend ;)
      >>
      >> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/3881308425/>
      >>
      >> Cheers!
      >>
      >> Erik Leeman
      >>
      >> (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)

      Pat Swovelin
      Cool Guy @ Large
    • panoramicsdk
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
        --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

        > Here's a simple little gadget I wish was available in the shops.
        > That sure would have saved me quite some time filing and drilling in the shed last weekend ;)
        >
        > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/3881308425/>
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > Erik Leeman
        >
        > (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)

        I have been searching all the web to find a laser to implement like this.
        What is it, Just a dummy?

        Hans
      • erik_leeman
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
          It's not a dummy Hans, it is fully functional.
          My plan is to somehow add a second laser at an adjustable angle, so I can accurately measure height as well.
          I used a simple laser pointer intended for office use, they're not too expensive. The mount was made from a solid bar of aluminium using common hand tools, a lathe, a bucket of elbow grease and a lot of time.

          Erik Leeman

          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" wrote:

          > I have been searching all the web to find a laser to implement like
          > this.
          > What is it, Just a dummy?
          >
          > Hans
        • panoramicsdk
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

            > It's not a dummy Hans, it is fully functional.
            > My plan is to somehow add a second laser at an adjustable angle, so I can accurately measure height as well.
            > I used a simple laser pointer intended for office use, they're not too expensive. The mount was made from a solid bar of aluminium using common hand tools, a lathe, a bucket of elbow grease and a lot of time.

            Yes but your is much shorter than the ones I found.
            They are all 130-150mm which is not handy to mount in the shoe.
            Your is only around 90mm I believe.

            Is a 5mw enough to give a visible point in full sunlight. I never used a laserpen.
            I seen some pages say that they are visible in sunlight but it was a 10mW
            Also do they always have an on off button or do you have to keep it pressed.

            I have found a cheap one here which is just 8cm but I suspect it is a very weak one.
            http://www.starshop.dk/product.php?id=199&main=73

            Hans
          • erik_leeman
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
              This one isn't too powerful either at less that 1mW.
              I don't think it would be certified for office use (and legal in this country) if it was more powerful though.
              Total length is 100mm and it loads two 1.5V batteries marked "N" size SUM5 R1. The switch must be kept pressed, so I used a screw for that. I also tapped a 1/4" thread in the top face of the mount so I can mount it on a tripod or whatever suits my fancy.

              Erik Leeman

              --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "panoramicsdk" wrote:
              > Yes but your is much shorter than the ones I found.
              > They are all 130-150mm which is not handy to mount in the shoe.
              > Your is only around 90mm I believe.
              >
              > Is a 5mw enough to give a visible point in full sunlight. I never
              > used a laserpen.
              > I seen some pages say that they are visible in sunlight but it was a
              > 10mW
              > Also do they always have an on off button or do you have to keep it
              > pressed.
              >
              > I have found a cheap one here which is just 8cm but I suspect it is
              > a very weak one.
              > http://www.starshop.dk/product.php?id=199&main=73
              >
              > Hans

            • Ken Warner
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                Well, Imatronics patented the use of lasers in January :-)

                Pat Swovelin wrote:
                > On 9/2/2009 11:21 AM, erik_leeman's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                > and typed ...:
                >
                >> A patent!, Dang! I knew I forgot something!
                >>

                > Too late, I filed the paperwork an hour ago. =8^)
                >

                >> :D
                >>
                >> Cheers!
                >>
                >> Erik Leeman
                >>

                >> --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" wrote:
                >>
                >>> Here's a simple little gadget I wish was available in the shops.
                >>> That sure would have saved me quite some time filing and drilling
                >>> in the shed last weekend ;)
                >>>
                >>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/3881308425/>
                >>>
                >>> Cheers!
                >>>
                >>> Erik Leeman
                >>>
                >>> (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)
                >>>

                > Pat Swovelin
                > Cool Guy @ Large

              • Pat Swovelin
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                  On 9/2/2009 1:07 PM, Ken Warner's hamster got loose on the keyboard and
                  typed ...:
                  > Well, Imatronics patented the use of lasers in January :-)

                  And the wheel was patented in Australia. I figure air is next so
                  breathe deeply before you get charged for it. =8^)

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                    Here's a closer look:

                    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/3881765305/>

                    Cheers!

                    Erik Leeman

                    (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)

                    --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "erik_leeman" wrote:

                    > This one isn't too powerful either at less that 1mW.
                    > I don't think it would be certified for office use (and legal in
                    > this country) if it was more powerful though.
                    > Total length is 100mm and it loads two 1.5V batteries marked "N"
                    > size SUM5 R1. The switch must be kept pressed, so I used a screw
                    > for that. I also tapped a 1/4" thread in the top face of the mount
                    > so I can mount it on a tripod or whatever suits my fancy.
                    >
                    > Erik Leeman
                  • Trausti Hraunfjord
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                      Smart solution to a real issue.

                      I'm going to get a couple of keychain lasers and try them out. Last time I
                      had one of those, the light strength was ok for daylight conditions inside,
                      but not at all in sunlight situation.

                      Pat wrote: I figure air is next so breathe deeply before you get charged
                      for it.

                      Don't worry, Imatronics patent on air does not cover inhaling... but should
                      you exhale... the story is different!

                      Trausti

                      On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM, erik_leeman <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

                      > Here's a closer look:
                      >
                      > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/3881765305/>
                      >

                      > Cheers!
                      >
                      > Erik Leeman
                      >
                      > (www.erikleeman.com www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl)
                      >
                      > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com <PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "erik_leeman" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This one isn't too powerful either at less that 1mW.
                      > > I don't think it would be certified for office use (and legal in
                      > > this country) if it was more powerful though.
                      > > Total length is 100mm and it loads two 1.5V batteries marked "N"
                      > > size SUM5 R1. The switch must be kept pressed, so I used a screw
                      > > for that. I also tapped a 1/4" thread in the top face of the mount
                      > > so I can mount it on a tripod or whatever suits my fancy.
                      > >
                      > > Erik Leeman

                    • Pat Swovelin
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 2, 2009
                        On 9/2/2009 5:08 PM, Trausti Hraunfjord's hamster got loose on the
                        keyboard and typed ...:
                        > Smart solution to a real issue.
                        >
                        > I'm going to get a couple of keychain lasers and try them out. Last time I
                        > had one of those, the light strength was ok for daylight conditions
                        > inside,
                        > but not at all in sunlight situation.
                        >
                        > Pat wrote: I figure air is next so breathe deeply before you get charged
                        > for it.
                        >
                        > Don't worry, Imatronics patent on air does not cover inhaling... but
                        > should
                        > you exhale... the story is different!

                        Mmmuuuuppphhh ... must ... reach ... airlock. GASP! WHEEZE!
                        ....................... thud.

                        > Trausti

                        Pat Swovelin
                        Cool Guy @ Large
                      • onezebra1
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                          I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be good for.
                          It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
                          If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will be pointing down at an angle.
                          Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?

                          Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very small and adjustable for alignment.
                          http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html

                          Roger Berry
                        • panoramicsdk
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                            --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

                            > I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be good for.
                            > It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
                            > If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will be pointing down at an angle.
                            > Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?
                            >
                            > Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very small and adjustable for alignment.
                            > http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html

                            I want it for taking the nadir.
                            I always take the Nadir by setting the panohead at -60 degree and lean the tripod.
                            With a laserpointer + a level on the camera you can easy take the nadir at almost perfect NPP.
                            Like this http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/nadir6.jpg
                            The laserpointer will make it easier than the measure tape but you need to level the camera 90 degree down.

                            More here.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                              Sort of adds new meaning to the phrase, "...shoot some panos..."

                              onezebra1 wrote:
                              > I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be good for.
                              > It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
                              > If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will be pointing down at an angle.
                              > Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?
                              >
                              > Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very small and adjustable for alignment.
                              > http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html
                              >
                              > Roger Berry

                            • erik_leeman
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                WOW! Just imagine the acceleration that poor laser and its batteries have to endure on that pistol slide!

                                First I contemplated a slide-on viewfinder mount, with the laserbeam working truly co-axial in the opposite direction through the camera and lens. But with the SLR mirror (no, not 'Self Loading Rifle') being semi-translucent I had second thoughts about where some of that light might end up inside the camera, and how much of it would leak past the flipped-up mirror during exposure.

                                Then it occurred to me that with enough offset it could actually project a dot on the ground with the camera still mounted on the tripod, pointing it down using the (Nodal Ninja) pano head. Of course I have to allow for parallax, but with the optical axis and laser being parallel that offset is always the same, no matter the distance to the ground. If I mark that 'dotspot', I can easily find it again with the laser-equipped camera mounted on my monopod for the unobstructed nadir shot.

                                If I point my 5D at a distant(!) wall, the laser dot is centered inside the little square in the viewfinder. That's accurate enough for me.

                                --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, "onezebra1" wrote:

                                > I don't really understand what a laser on the camera shoe would be
                                > good for.
                                > It's a few inches out of center alignment with the lens.
                                > If the camera is even one or two degrees out of level the laser will
                                > be pointing down at an angle.
                                > Are hot shoes perfectly manufactured to be inline with lens?
                                >
                                > Anyway, have a look at this laser. It has an on-off switch, is very
                                > small and adjustable for alignment.
                                > http://www.laserlyte.com/New_Products/index.html
                                >
                                > Roger Berry
                              • padraiccollins
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                  An alternative is using the Leica Disto 2. It already has a camera mount so just attach a hot-shoe mount and off you go.

                                  http://ptd.leica-geosystems.com/en/Laser-Distancemeter-Leica-DISTO-D2_69656.htm

                                  Added advantage of being able to measure exact distance from mount to ground (plus/minus 1.5mm)

                                  Patrick Collins
                                • luca vascon
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                    yesss.
                                    Not cheap but good!!!

                                    --
                                    Luca Vascon.

                                    www.canalview.it
                                    www.officinepanottiche.com

                                  • jrgen_schrader
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                      Same has my Bosch DLE 50 :)
                                      Might give it a try once I find a way to turn the camera with no effort away from the tripod at the same height.
                                      Meanwhile handheld or viewpoint-correction must do ;)

                                      Best,
                                      Jürgen

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                        But then you would need three hands to shoot the nadir like Erik does --
                                        or two very fast ones.

                                        Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters" They
                                        use a similar idea to
                                        indicate the altitude of a low flying plane to the pilot. In the move
                                        they use two spot lights
                                        one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when the
                                        spots converge into
                                        one spot on the surface below, the plane is flying at exactly the right
                                        altitude.

                                        You could do a similar thing by adding another laser on the bottom of
                                        the camera and
                                        tilting them both to converge on you exact nadir point. That way you
                                        get both position
                                        and distance.

                                        padraiccollins wrote:
                                        > An alternative is using the Leica Disto 2. It already has a camera mount so just attach a hot-shoe mount and off you go.
                                        >
                                        > http://ptd.leica-geosystems.com/en/Laser-Distancemeter-Leica-DISTO-D2_69656.htm
                                        >
                                        > Added advantage of being able to measure exact distance from mount to ground (plus/minus 1.5mm)
                                        >
                                        > Patrick Collins

                                      • erik_leeman
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                          Haha! Thats exactly where I got my inspiration from!
                                          (and the idea for title of the thread)
                                          As I mentioned before I'll try adding a second laser with an adjustable mount to gauge the height. I'll continue to level the monopod and camera using a spirit level like I do now.

                                          Just two simple laser pointers: dirt cheap and super effective!

                                          With two more beams you could perhaps also tackle tilt, but I'm not convinced it would be very practical.

                                          Erik Leeman

                                          --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                                          > ...snip
                                          > Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters"
                                          > They use a similar idea to indicate the altitude of a low flying
                                          > plane to the pilot. In the move they use two spot lights
                                          > one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when
                                          > the spots converge into one spot on the surface below, the plane is
                                          > flying at exactly the right altitude.
                                          > ...snip
                                        • Ken Warner
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                            This idea just crashed into my brain...

                                            What if you made the bracket so that it fitted into a standard tripod
                                            hole and then find a way to screw
                                            it onto the knob that holds the camera on an NN3/5? That way anybody
                                            with an NN3/5 could *BUY* one
                                            from you.

                                            erik_leeman wrote:
                                            > Haha! Thats exactly where I got my inspiration from!
                                            > (and the idea for title of the thread)
                                            > As I mentioned before I'll try adding a second laser with an adjustable mount to gauge the height. I'll continue to level the monopod and camera using a spirit level like I do now.
                                            >
                                            > Just two simple laser pointers: dirt cheap and super effective!
                                            >
                                            > With two more beams you could perhaps also tackle tilt, but I'm not convinced it would be very practical.
                                            >
                                            > Erik Leeman
                                            >

                                            > --- In PanoToolsNG@yahoogroups.com, Ken Warner wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> ...snip
                                            >> Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters"
                                            >> They use a similar idea to indicate the altitude of a low flying
                                            >> plane to the pilot. In the move they use two spot lights
                                            >> one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when
                                            >> the spots converge into one spot on the surface below, the plane is
                                            >> flying at exactly the right altitude.
                                            >> ...snip

                                          • klroost
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                              ..and here I was thinking Imatronics patented the use of photons in general..

                                              > Well, Imatronics patented the use of lasers in January :-)
                                              >
                                              > Pat Swovelin wrote:
                                              > > On 9/2/2009 11:21 AM, erik_leeman's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                              > > and typed ...:
                                              > >
                                              > >> A patent!, Dang! I knew I forgot something!
                                              > >>

                                              > > Too late, I filed the paperwork an hour ago. =8^)
                                              > >

                                              > >> :D
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Cheers!
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Erik Leeman

                                              > > Pat Swovelin
                                              > > Cool Guy @ Large

                                            • Trausti Hraunfjord
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                                You might be right about that.
                                                I just bought 2 keychain lasers.These are "Made In China"... next door to
                                                Patentronics
                                                But I doubt these being made by, or under license of Patentronics, based on
                                                the following observations:

                                                1. Product is not overly spammed with printed patent claims... actually
                                                there is no patent claim to be found.
                                                2. Product price is not what one would expect from above mentioned source...
                                                at only $2 per unit with 12 different display options (heart shaped skins
                                                come to mind, when checking out the displays, ranging from a swastica (!) to
                                                christmas tree)
                                                3. Printed information on the package is factual and informative without
                                                self-glorifying scripture.
                                                4. Product works as indicated, for both Mac and PC users.

                                                Now I will have to think about the best way to put these into use with the
                                                camera and head/nadir shot boom.

                                                Patent infringement claims can be sent to MADE IN CHINA... which is the only
                                                indication of a company name on the packages.

                                                On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM, klroost <etterz@...> wrote:

                                                > ..and here I was thinking Imatronics patented the use of photons in
                                                > general..

                                              • michel thoby
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 3, 2009
                                                  Ken, Erik, ...

                                                  Le 3 sept. 09 à 19:30, Ken Warner a écrit :

                                                  > Erik, take a look at the old English move called "The Dam Busters"
                                                  > They
                                                  > use a similar idea to
                                                  > indicate the altitude of a low flying plane to the pilot. In the move
                                                  > they use two spot lights
                                                  > one on the nose of the plane -- one on the tail angled so that when
                                                  > the
                                                  > spots converge into
                                                  > one spot on the surface below, the plane is flying at exactly the
                                                  > right
                                                  > altitude.
                                                  >
                                                  > You could do a similar thing by adding another laser on the bottom of
                                                  > the camera and
                                                  > tilting them both to converge on you exact nadir point. That way you
                                                  > get both position
                                                  > and distance.

                                                  I remember having designed and made such fun things. I successfully
                                                  tested some prototypes during Summer of 2005:
                                                  - Version with one LASER pointer: http://michel.thoby.free.fr/
                                                  Krampouz/LASER+Level.jpg
                                                  - Version with two LASER pointers that are mounted apart on the same
                                                  support. That support was inserted in the groves of the spirit level.
                                                  The spirit level was then inserted in the flash shoe:
                                                  http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Krampouz/Laserometre.JPG
                                                  Should have I filled the paper works to apply for a patent?

                                                  Michel

                                                • luca vascon
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                                                    I was just saying
                                                    "no matter how hard you do invent something, Michel Thoby already did it,
                                                    and if you are really clever he is just doing the same thing"
                                                    :-D

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                                                      Quoting michel thoby <thobymichel@...>:

                                                      > http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Krampouz/Laserometre.JPG
                                                      > Should have I filled the paper works to apply for a patent?
                                                      absolutely.
                                                      In England there is now a call for patent infringement to be a criminal offence.
                                                      and so you could maybe have all these posters jailed ;-)

                                                      regards

                                                      mick

                                                    • Pat Swovelin
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Sep 4, 2009
                                                        On 9/4/2009 12:06 AM, luca vascon's hamster got loose on the keyboard
                                                        and typed ...:
                                                        > I was just saying
                                                        > "no matter how hard you do invent something, Michel Thoby already did it,
                                                        > and if you are really clever he is just doing the same thing"

                                                        *Never* try to compete with a rocket scientist because it won't turn out
                                                        well.

                                                        Unless, of course, you were smart enough to bet *on* the rocket
                                                        scientist. =8^)

                                                        > :-D

                                                        Pat Swovelin
                                                        Cool Guy @ Large